Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
dangnplus

Drives: 1LT camaro RS package
Best way to take off the line

Hi, I was wondering since the camaro has so many option, what is the best way to take off the line?

should i just leave it in 'D' and push on the gas real hard? or should i put it on 'M' and push it? or it doesn't make a difference, thanks!
dangnplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The best way to race the car is in sports mode. Where u put it in m but dont use the paddles. The best way to leave the line if u want to minimize spin is with traction control on and measuring your throttle to where u dont spin too much

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
In my auto i put it in "M", put my foot on the break and gas. Rev up to 2000, it will want to spin a bit. But thats in a V6. I have no clue about the SS. I've wanted to ask this myself and wanted to expirement, just don't want to get tickets for rabbit starts or whatever the 5-0 calls it.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
lscamaro

He has a 1lt.

Its best to just keep it at 1000. Anything over that and it spins too much

Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
He has a 1lt.

Its best to just keep it at 1000. Anything over that and it spins too much
Well if you put it to the floor right away. I don't really remember how much I give it, it just comes natural. But if you put it to the floor immediately, it will spin and traction control will kick in.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Mine launches pretty good off the stall with the TC on and in Sport Mode. Just a touch of tire squawk and she's off! At least last I remember.

Not long ago (after all my mods) I turned TC and Stabilitrak off and launched it off the stall in Sport Mode. She spun good and started to walk the rear out to the right but regained composure at the top of 1st. It kinda falls on its face a little if the tires are spinning on the 1-2 shift as it pulls the power out to make the shift and then starts hauling again. Stock tune is a little lame, but it's just doing it's job of prolonging the trans.

What was amused me was (after bolt ons) I was easing down a damp road around 20-25 MPH with nannies turned on and laid into the pedal and she broke both back tires loose real nicely. Stabilitrack reeled it back in shortly thereafter as the rear drifted. It's very cool to see how that system reacts.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
lscamaro

When im at the track, I actually launch with everything off now. The tc system does a great job of reducing wheel spin but I feel like it reduces power too much. I now just hold at 1k rpms, give it like 3/4 throttle until I feel it hook and then give it full throttle

Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Mine launches pretty good off the stall with the TC on and in Sport Mode. Just a touch of tire squawk and she's off! At least last I remember.

Not long ago (after all my mods) I turned TC and Stabilitrak off and launched it off the stall in Sport Mode. She spun good and started to walk the rear out to the right but regained composure at the top of 1st. It kinda falls on its face a little if the tires are spinning on the 1-2 shift as it pulls the power out to make the shift and then starts hauling again. Stock tune is a little lame, but it's just doing it's job of prolonging the trans.

What was amused me was (after bolt ons) I was easing down a damp road around 20-25 MPH with nannies turned on and laid into the pedal and she broke both back tires loose real nicely. Stabilitrack reeled it back in shortly thereafter as the rear drifted. It's very cool to see how that system reacts.
I tried racing someone with traction control off one time. Will NEVER do that again. I stood there for a good second and a half. Their was frozen rain all over the ground the other day and I needed to get home so i was driving cautiously. But only going about 20 mph in a 35. I decided to give it some throttle in "D" mode, and it got up to 1800 rpms and TC shut it down after the back end slid to the right. Why the right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
When im at the track, I actually launch with everything off now. The tc system does a great job of reducing wheel spin but I feel like it reduces power too much. I now just hold at 1k rpms, give it like 3/4 throttle until I feel it hook and then give it full throttle
I'll have to give that a try.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
dangnplus

Will it harm the car if i keep switching from 'D' mode to 'M' mode while driving?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
dangnplus

like for ex:

off the line with 'M' mode, then around 60-70 miles throw it back in 'D'.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
Trentin24
Trentin24

I do it all the time. I don't think so. If im going hard, and hit 80 and the RPMs are at 5000, and i want to slow down. IF you just let off the gas, it will stay in the same gear. So I throw it in drive and use the brakes. Drive will just make it shift up quicker.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
lscamaro

No, it won't hurt anything

Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
dangnplus

Thank you guys! I'm loving this Camaro!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangnplus View Post
Thank you guys! I'm loving this Camaro!
When did you get it? Any pictures? Can anyone see my picture under my name?