Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
bushings, bushings, bushings,
- but 1st...

Track it and decide for yourself what you like or don't like about the characteristics of the car, then determine if that is a driver learning curve or wobbly factory suspension.
- if it's the latter - bushings, bushings, bushings.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #30
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
For the track, go for the 305/30/19s all around tires, like on the '14 Z28 or like in Pedders project Camaro that came with that idea before GM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I'd love some advise. I'd like to lower my 1le for looks, but will only do so if I can improve or maintain stock performance. This is my daily driver which I don't take to a track (yet). Basically I won't sacrifice looks for performance, but if I can have looks and performance it's an option

I was originally only going to buy some lowering springs but I felt I was undoing the work chevy put into the 1le.

What would you suggest.....

Also, I'll be putting some all seasons on for the winter, but tire size will stay the same
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #32
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
I am very torn between pedders and pfadt. And its for dumb reasons too. I like the pedders red and not a fan of the pfadt orange. yeah i know its under the car but im slightly retarded like that lol. The price difference is not an issue per say it just means i will buy less at a time with one vs the other. Then there is the fact that i wanted to do and "SSXish" replica and that car has everything pfdat makes.
Here's your solution.......

www.bmrsuspension.com

Last edited by blazzin1; 10-11-2013 at 05:50 AM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #33
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
I'd love some advise. I'd like to lower my 1le for looks, but will only do so if I can improve or maintain stock performance. This is my daily driver which I don't take to a track (yet). Basically I won't sacrifice looks for performance, but if I can have looks and performance it's an option

I was originally only going to buy some lowering springs but I felt I was undoing the work chevy put into the 1le.

What would you suggest.....

Also, I'll be putting some all seasons on for the winter, but tire size will stay the same
The money is in Sub-frame bushes, Radius and a 32mm Z bar. Take the air out of the rear with 220035s, but leave the front alone.

Quote:
I am very torn between pedders and pfadt. And its for dumb reasons too. I like the pedders red and not a fan of the pfadt orange. yeah i know its under the car but im slightly retarded like that lol. The price difference is not an issue per say it just means i will buy less at a time with one vs the other. Then there is the fact that i wanted to do and "SSXish" replica and that car has everything pfdat makes.
Thee SSX is the coolest looking car t never run a hot lap on a track. Not a single lap. Then there are the Pedders USA prepared Camaros which have never finished behind any other Modern Muscle car.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #34
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The money is in Sub-frame bushes, Radius and a 32mm Z bar. Take the air out of the rear with 220035s, but leave the front alone
I'm confused what your suggesting.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #35
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Not speaking for Pete but the way I understand it get a 1LE Permagrin kit and rear drop springs to level it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #36
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
I'm confused what your suggesting.

Long Story

The 1LE is very well done from the showroom floor. The wheels, tire and gear ratio that are part of the 1LE package are a steal of a deal. The front sway bar diameter is 27mm solid. I have been running and selling front 27mm bars since 2009. I have also been using a 32mm rear bar since 2009 and wanted a much bigger rear bar. When the ZL1 was introduced with the new rear sway bar mounting points out closer to the wheels the geometry change made the bars effectively larger. A 32mm rear ZL1 / 1LE bar is ideal with the 1LE 27mm front.

The only reason the 1LE doesn't deliver from the factory with a 27mm rear bar is it makes the car too neutral. Broad based use of ABS saves lives, but impairs a drivers ability to learn how to drive. What you learn is ABS fixes everything. Sliding in a turn, lift and and brake hard. Let the ABS fix it. Slowing down or using ABS will fix it... in an UNDERsteer car. Make the car neutral or biased towards OVERsteer and lifting cuases a spin as fast as you can lift. With the square tire setup on the 1LE the 25mm front 28mm rear ZL1 bars made the car too neutral so they added the larger 27mm front 1LE bar to increase UNDERsteer. Replace the 28mm 1LE OEM bar with a Pedders 32mm Z bar and you now have the balance most drivers dream about. That is one reason it is included in the Permagrin kit.

TEAM Camaro has been tweaking the sub-frame bushings for the IRS almost annually. They are not quite good, but there is still rear end steer in the 1LE or a bit of loose rear end when the car is driven hard. Our sub-frame bushing increase the control surface over the OEM bushes by 300 to 900%. Rear end steer, loose rear end disappear making the 1LE more stable and more predictable. You can drive harder with more confidence.

The front fluid damped radius bushes are a bit too compliant for our driving style. This compliance results in a wider range of caster change than we like. We replace those with a urethane steel jacketed bushing and narrow the range of dynamic caster change. This improves the on center feel of your steering.

When we dial in a 5th Gen for the track we level the car. The ride heights with 20" wheels are 580mm front and rear. This is contrary to the setup of most race cars where the rear end is higher than the front end. The rake contributes to weight shift and helps in cormering and braking. The 5th Gen is a large structurally robust Muscle Car. We have found that by lowering the rear end weight transfer is more controlled and the car more composed. Dropspeed gets credit for using our 220033 rear coils with the 1LE front coils first on a 1LE. His track time results confirs this works well while preserving OEM ride quality.

Short Story

The money is in Sub-frame bushes, Radius and a 32mm Z bar. Take the air out of the rear with 220035s, but leave the front alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Not speaking for Pete but the way I understand it get a 1LE Permagrin kit and rear drop springs to level it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
Exactly.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Answer to the first part: as of today i want to get it into Z/28 ASS KICKIN TERRITORY . Which from what i have read so far won't take much in the suspension department as it will have a very similar setup supposedly. brakes wheels and tires is another story. I do have a plan on paper for the power gap as well but we'll see on that side

Answer to the second part its not doing anything right now good or bad as it is too cold here to test it out. I'm not looking to "fix" anything but rather enhance whats there and address weak areas if any.
Short answer: When I was in your shoes, I looked at the fastest Camaros out there and saw that they're running Pedders.

To get your 1LE kicking the ass of most cars on track days, get the Pedders 1LE Permagrin Package.

But to get into Z/28 ASS KICKIN TERRITORY (love the way you put that!) add to it the Pedders Supercar Coilovers. Take a look at my Buttonwillow track write up in my signature below to see how that set up performs. Highly, highly recommend!
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #38
ruffryderj

Drives: 2016 camaro ss2/ a8
Can you lower the 1le with some springs and will it improve the handling or make it bad
ruffryderj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #39
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryderj View Post
Can you lower the 1le with some springs and will it improve the handling or make it bad
Everything I'm hearing is leave it or put pedders springs in the rear if your serious about tracking the car.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #40
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Everything I'm hearing is leave it or put Pedders springs in the rear if your serious about tracking the car.

Our order of preference is Permagrin and then rear coils.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #41
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Is it that detrimental to drop the front and rear?

I figure I will end up having to throw 305's out back too. The power is going up and it seems like the 285's have trouble with the power as it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #42
ruffryderj

Drives: 2016 camaro ss2/ a8
how much for the rear peddler springs?
ruffryderj is offline   Reply With Quote