Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
SS Crush

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/LS3
Send a message via MSN to SS Crush
Borla ATAK require a tune?

Hey all... I just installed the borla atak, cat-back on my 2011 2SS last night. I'm a nut, I still have the temp license plate on it... Sounds Grrrrrrreat!

But.... It pops a lot on back pressure when rolling up to red lights while having the clutch in... Pop, Pop, pop pop...

Do you think that I need a tune? I took it over to the shop around the corner and they confirmed there were NO leaks. I would hear the pops occasionally on the OEM exhaust but not like this...

It sounds cool, but I don't think it's supposed to be that way. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

SS CRUSH
2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS, Black Hood Stripes, Sunroof, Inferno Orange Interior, Borla ATAK cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw shifter.
SS Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
it wont require a tune...the popping is called decel pop, it's normal, just a lot more noticeable with your new exhaust. There's tons of threads here about it.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
learn to love the popping
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
SS Crush

Thanks for the response.... LOL, "learn to love the popping"...

Another question though... Now that I've "thought" I needed a tune... is it worth it to just go get it? Would a "good" shop that specializes in LSXX motors be able to modify the tune noticeably above the factory tune for performance gains with the new exhaust and just in general?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Crush View Post
Thanks for the response.... LOL, "learn to love the popping"...

Another question though... Now that I've "thought" I needed a tune... is it worth it to just go get it? Would a "good" shop that specializes in LSXX motors be able to modify the tune noticeably above the factory tune for performance gains with the new exhaust and just in general?
waste of money... with just a cat back... you should at least have a CAI and cat back to get a tune.... or even better which is headers ,CAI ,cat back
Old 10-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I would not waste money on a tune without having CAI/headers. it's a decision to think about regarding warranty status. everyone's comfort level with that is different.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
SS Crush

great info, thanks a lot guys. I already had that in mind that I should get the CAI first, that way I kill two birds with one stone on a tune, but I think my wife will shoot me if I drop another 750 on the CAI & Tune after I just bought the car and the Borla Atak... I agree, I'd be pushing it... lol

Again... Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Crush View Post
great info, thanks a lot guys. I already had that in mind that I should get the CAI first, that way I kill two birds with one stone on a tune, but I think my wife will shoot me if I drop another 750 on the CAI & Tune after I just bought the car and the Borla Atak... I agree, I'd be pushing it... lol

Again... Thanks.
i must warn you... i was just like you, i didn't wanna spend that much on the car and thought a CAI and exhaust would get it for me. but that wasnt the case.. i cant stop putting money into this car.... i just got my rims black chromed and now i am spending more money on headers and re-tune.. and now i want to lower my car... the list goes on... its hard not to keep putting money into this car...
Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
SS Crush

oh your right Mike. Don't get the wrong impression... Like I said, I still have the temporary tag on my car... i've had it 3 weeks now and I got the Catback already. One good thing about that is maybe someone wants an OEM exhaust with 1K miles... lol.

Nah, the money pit has been brought into the garage. I just need to space out the upgrades a little. Going to two car shows already gets you all pumped up. I've got my eyes on quite a bit of performance and appearance stuff but I have to be fair with the wife and not empty the bank so fast. i'll tell ya... I was looking at the long tubes, but with the borla atak, I don't know if i want it that loud! It's loud. But there you go, add about 50 WHP with the headers, so the tradeoff is tempting still...

I just have to be careful not to do the wrong things that void the warranty or make me have to keep taking the stuff off when it goes in the shop...!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
lol i know! i agree with mike its hard not to put money into the car!
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
barnesql

Drives: 95' Z28, 2010 2ss RS
Yeah, the Mod bug is definitely hard to get rid of.

Magnaflow 3" Competition Series Catback
Off road x-pipe
Kooks LT Headers
barnesql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
You only hear people saying you need a tune with ATAK because of the A6 AFM, but that obviously is not the case for you...you are fine

I would even hold off on a tune until Headers...I think I am fine with CAI and exhaust without it
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
JustMyMaro811

Drives: 2SS White Camaro
Did the long tube headers and Borla (also CAI) and the growl when she fires up is ... well freaking awesome!
It is loud and gets noticed but that's what you want right?? Go for it!
Anyone have info on bringing her down let me know. Coil overs... 1.5" or 2"? Know she'll handle better but how low? What products are best for the maro?
JustMyMaro811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
Blackshirt56

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 1LE
Just installed my ATAK last week and it pops BAD on deceleration(very loud and annoying), not really on start up. I was told it's either running too rich or too lean and that a tune should help work I out along with time. BUT mine might be worse because I had my car Street and Dyno tuned with a CAI and the stock exhaust a few weeks ago (I know, bad idea since it now has to be re-dyno tuned with the exhaust! My first muscle car) luckily my friend tunes my car and this time I only have to pay the $60 dyno time.

P.S. If you stay in 6th coasting to lights it cuts down if not eliminates the popping. Or if you push the clutch in and coast into lights it cuts the popping completely.
Roto Fab CAI
E85 & Tune
10% tints all around
Blackshirt56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla atak 140356