Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Nope...it grabs the air via a scoop that you place down in front of part of the radiator and gathers the air rushing inside the front grille.

Nice! What tool do you have in mind for doing this job? Not sure I want to use a saw for this like I did for the radiator brackets lol.
On a work bench with a hack saw and various files. lol

If needed I'll start with evenly removing at most 3/16" from the bottom of the horn to 0" at the top.

I'll probably take the TB off the car for ease of making sure the horn and TB match up flush during the surgery and making adjustments as needed with a file. lol

Very confident this will work.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
On a work bench with a hack saw and various files. lol

If needed I'll start with evenly removing at most 3/16" from the bottom of the horn to 0" at the top.

I'll probably take the TB off the car for ease of making sure the horn and TB match up flush during the surgery and making adjustments as needed with a file. lol

Very confident this will work.
Only issue I'd be worried about, is since now there will be a slight angle when you butt up the horn with the TB, will the rubber sleeve and clamps still keep everything together nicely? Other than that..I don't see other issues.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Hey KM, I took a close look today and have no worries that the VR and RX spacer will work together.

May have to shave the horn at a slight angle to dip the front back down, but it's already been done by VR for some who had issues early on with fitment.

A pic from the long VR thread, hope bmorecam doesn't mind me using a pic he posted back last summer.

Maybe bmore will give his thoughts.
of course not

After modification the angle will have to be enough to compensate 9.75mm which is rx's size. Im positive one could make vararam work with these insulators, I can probably even make it work with my current 25mm, but how is that new created angle going to affect airflow going into the thottle body, which seem to be the #1 factor in possibly losing horsepower with vararam intake. On that pic that slant was actually cut by vararam to give better fitment, but it only create a slight angle, nothing as big as 9.75mm.

Another concern I have is dyno with vararam. How would one know if the modification to make the insulator fit caused any loss in HP? As we know, vararam is usually not dynoable. If we do lose say, 5-7hp, I hardly doubt you can feel that loss but it would still be a loss regardless to make the other work which at that point it really wouldn't be worth the hassle.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
KMPrenger

With it being less than half an inch in thickness, I think the angle needed will be very slight.

That said..we should all find out this week as Mike Norris is going to try testing with a Vararam equipped car. (I hope it dynos OK with that VR lol....they seem un-predictable on the dyno). Hopefully he gets another tester in there also, which I'm pretty sure he is doing.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
After reading the last few posts I am glad I went with Injen cai. Now I will have the flexability to pick any size insulator. Sounds like you guys with the VR have some great ideas going back and forth. is great! for this very reason!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
of course not

After modification the angle will have to be enough to compensate 9.75mm which is rx's size. Im positive one could make vararam work with these insulators, I can probably even make it work with my current 25mm, but how is that new created angle going to affect airflow going into the thottle body, which seem to be the #1 factor in possibly losing horsepower with vararam intake. On that pic that slant was actually cut by vararam to give better fitment, but it only create a slight angle, nothing as big as 9.75mm.

Another concern I have is dyno with vararam. How would one know if the modification to make the insulator fit caused any loss in HP? As we know, vararam is usually not dynoable. If we do lose say, 5-7hp, I hardly doubt you can feel that loss but it would still be a loss regardless to make the other work which at that point it really wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Ok, the RX spacer is 3/8" which will shorten the front gap by 3/8". I now have a gap of 1-1/8" measured at dead center of the intake and will give me a new gap of 3/4" without doing anything to the airhorn.

I'm thinking with a slight cut on the horn (removing 3/16" to 0") it will dip the front back down giving me close to a 1'' gap and I think that is plenty. I don't think this slight angle will impact air flow if butted to the TB with no gaps.

Sure hope it works, I sold my Injen.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned

Last edited by 67 GTO; 02-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Bmore as always has good info to contribute! I am 90% sure it will work w/out issues.....but until Mike Norris (or we get another in here to try first) finishes his tests we wont know for sure. And as bmore states, the Vram works well in part because of the straight entry so the more than is altered, the more I would think it will affect it. Time will tell though.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
the reason why I am stressing the issue so much is because of what steve at vararam mentioned. the importance of rear neck being straight. vararam is one hell of a tight fit, so altering will be limited im sure, but I really do hope you guys can work it out because I really want to go back to vararam
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

FWIW, I spoke with Steve from VR this morning about a minimum gap and if shaving the air horn at a slight angle was an option to bring the front back down a tad.

He couldn't give an amswer because the VR Tech is out of town till the end of this week.

I'm to call back and talk with the tech on friday.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
FWIW, I spoke with Steve from VR this morning about a minimum gap and if shaving the air horn at a slight angle was an option to bring the front back down a tad.

He couldn't give an amswer because the VR Tech is out of town till the end of this week.

hmm well im not going to shave it because I remember how "sensitive" the intake is. Not getting a flush fit results in hp loss, I know that shaving the horn changed people throttle response before.

Isnt this isolator only going to close the gap about a cm?
Not sure if that will really affect the performance of the VR and I say this because my VR closes the gap majority of the time and still pulls like a frieght train
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
but I should add, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

So im ordering the Isolator and then TB in April

Ordering Gills this week
Then new front end
GFX in April
Black roof and back panel in June hopefully
Should be some great changes for my car this summer

Oh and I should add, ported IM this summer as well
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #26
KMPrenger

Quote:

Keep us posted.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #27
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Have the ICE-olators IN STOCK ready to ship!!!!!!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
How much is the ICE-olator anywho? Feel free to shoot me a PM when you have time, Tracy.

Thanks!

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote