Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
LTs coming-need to quiet down!

Hey everybody...okay i know everyone is sick of exhaust threads but i do need some advice. Im putting longtubes and a cam in my car..im currently running the atak catback...i LOVE how it sounds, i also love how it sounds with longtubes! The problem is i bought a townhouse and when i start my car in the garage at 6am i dont want to be pissing off my neighbors or waking the baby next door...sooo with that being said im considering switching out my atak mufflers with the touring set up. Do you think this will be quiet enough? i know this is a very subjective topic..i like how my car sounds right now with the stock manifolds and atak...it would be okay if its a little louder than the atak and stock manifolds. But as of right now the atak with longtubes would be too loud for my situation..If i buy the touring mufflers i may keep the atak and put it on just to see if my neighbors say anything...Im also wondering if theres anyway to just quiet the atak down after the headers with maybe some bullet mufflers welded in the x-pipe? id rather not cut up my borla but if someone has done it id consider it. OKay sorry for rambling..thanks for any advice.
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you can swing it this is your best option. Its the quietest catback on the market. You'll still have a nice aggressive exhaust at WOT, but give you a nice quiet cruise.
I live in a very conservative neighborhood and the last thing I want to do it piss off my neighbors (or bring unneeded attention to myself).

I run Kooks 1 7/8 headers with Magnaflow Street catback. Sounds great, no drone, and keeps the neighbors happy.

You might be able to just add the Magnaflow resonated X pipe to your setup (if possible).

SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Or, put stock exhaust back on. IMO, sounds as good as any quiet style cat back...........and its free! Most have found that, though they think the stock exhaust sounds crappy in its stock form, that with the addition of headers and hi-flow cats, it sounds pretty damn good.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Or, put stock exhaust back on. IMO, sounds as good as any quiet style cat back...........and its free! Most have found that, though they think the stock exhaust sounds crappy in its stock form, that with the addition of headers and hi-flow cats, it sounds pretty damn good.
I am one of those guys who still has the stock exhaust with no cats and long tubes and gotta say it does sound good. I ordered DMH cutouts though so that I can control my sound - cutouts might be an option the OP wants to look into.
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Like the above members posted, stock exhaust is probably your best option
Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
CamaroBlue

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Does it sound raspy at all with headers and stock catback?
CamaroBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
converted

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBlue View Post
My neighbor has cam headers off road pipes and stock cat back. I think i sounds very nice maybe just a little hollow sometimes but i do not find it to be raspy.
converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Sure he can use the stock catback....until it that cam blows out the mufflers. I can speak on behalf of a buddy I know that had that happen. I say don't worry about what your neighbors think. It's your car and if it bothers them, oh well. Do what you want and make it sound how you want to. FYI, I am running the ATAK with a cam, and the sound is incredible.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
well problem is i threw out my factory exhaust a year or so ago...that magnaflow looks like a good option but its out of my price range at the moment...i figured just swapping the atak mufflers with the touring would be the easiest..but ive never heard this combo in person so not sure how loud it is....i guess i could say fukc my neighbors and just run the atak with longtubes but i really hate to be that guy who wakes the whole block up every morning
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
If you can swing it this is your best option. Its the quietest catback on the market. You'll still have a nice aggressive exhaust at WOT, but give you a nice quiet cruise.
I live in a very conservative neighborhood and the last thing I want to do it piss off my neighbors (or bring unneeded attention to myself).

I run Kooks 1 7/8 headers with Magnaflow Street catback. Sounds great, no drone, and keeps the neighbors happy.

You might be able to just add the Magnaflow resonated X pipe to your setup (if possible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
well problem is i threw out my factory exhaust a year or so ago...that magnaflow looks like a good option but its out of my price range at the moment...i figured just swapping the atak mufflers with the touring would be the easiest..but ive never heard this combo in person so not sure how loud it is....i guess i could say fukc my neighbors and just run the atak with longtubes but i really hate to be that guy who wakes the whole block up every morning
I have the Magnaflow axle back and it is likely just a hair louder than the cat back, but still very quiet compaired to other exhaust w/LT's. The axle back will be less expensive than the cat back. You could also get a stock system in the FS section for next to nothing...
Old 05-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBlue View Post
No. But I always recommend the hi flow cats to mellow it a bit. It can get raspy without them.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
Sure he can use the stock catback....until it that cam blows out the mufflers. I can speak on behalf of a buddy I know that had that happen. I say don't worry about what your neighbors think. It's your car and if it bothers them, oh well. Do what you want and make it sound how you want to. FYI, I am running the ATAK with a cam, and the sound is incredible.
I have heard of some blowing the baffles out....not sure if its cam related or not. I can only speak from experience with 2 GTO's (different mufflers, tho). Both were cammed with headers and stock cat back......never had an issue.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
Hey everybody...okay i know everyone is sick of exhaust threads but i do need some advice. Im putting longtubes and a cam in my car..im currently running the atak catback...i LOVE how it sounds, i also love how it sounds with longtubes! The problem is i bought a townhouse and when i start my car in the garage at 6am i dont want to be pissing off my neighbors or waking the baby next door...sooo with that being said im considering switching out my atak mufflers with the touring set up. Do you think this will be quiet enough? i know this is a very subjective topic..i like how my car sounds right now with the stock manifolds and atak...it would be okay if its a little louder than the atak and stock manifolds. But as of right now the atak with longtubes would be too loud for my situation..If i buy the touring mufflers i may keep the atak and put it on just to see if my neighbors say anything...Im also wondering if theres anyway to just quiet the atak down after the headers with maybe some bullet mufflers welded in the x-pipe? id rather not cut up my borla but if someone has done it id consider it. OKay sorry for rambling..thanks for any advice.
Instead of going from the Atak to the Touring; what about the S-Type? It will take the edge of the Atak but still sound mean. The Touring might be too quiet for your taste since you like the Atak so much.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Stock exhaust with cut outs sounds to be your best option. The money you could get by trading your atak cat back for someone's stock exhaust + cash would easily pay for the cutouts and most likely install too.