Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
I Love My Z/28

There is no doubt, this is such a great car. You could spend more money, a lot more money on a car, but the incremental return would be negligible until you got over the $500k mark.

Personally I could give a rat's ass about leather sun visors and steering columns and "claim" of fine [country name] engineering for which I am paying an arm and a leg for.

I do care about performance and visceral reward and that feeling in my guts when I walk up to the car, the Z/28 turns it up to "11" on those points.

Forget tracking, go find a great twisty scenic road.

*Beautiful to look at
*Wide, elastic powerband
*Rumbly gurgly exhaust
*Solid, smooth shifting
*Tight platform, feels like carved from billet
*Great cruise control

At some point this car will be widely recognized as being one of the all-time "great ones". I still feel like I stole it for $75k. Awesome job Chevy, awesome job.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zfatuated; 07-05-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Find road. Drive car. Repeat.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Compared the the ZL1, the Z28 does not have the wide power band, but it does pull at high RPMs it it one tight turning car!
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Nice, Pete! Good to see you enjoying that gorgeous car. Aren't you worried about getting stuck out in the rain with the Trofeo Rs?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Wow...so nice out there...real mountain roads...I'm jealous!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
For me, you are the true spirit of this great car.

Nice and enjoy!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #7
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Congrats on your Perma-grin! Makes me want one too!
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
I have a question for you Z. How much horsepower do you think that the Z/28 can handle before you would have to start upgrading suspension and chassis? I'd rather have a car that handles well, than just having a high horsepower engine. I know 505 is a lot of horsepower but I wonder just how much the Z/28 can handle.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
For me, you are the true spirit of this great car.

Nice and enjoy!!!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I have a question for you Z. How much horsepower do you think that the Z/28 can handle before you would have to start upgrading suspension and chassis? I'd rather have a car that handles well, than just having a high horsepower engine. I know 505 is a lot of horsepower but I wonder just how much the Z/28 can handle.
Not being Zfat, I think the car could handle another 50-75 horsepower without much of an issue. However, my plan is to focus on learning the car and building my skills to match, before adding power to the mix...
Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
You bought it, so I sure as he'll hope you're in love with it. Still not going to convince me that it's worth the money to buy one unless you intend to track it. It's a horrible street car, IMHO.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Sweet looking ride and view. Congrats on that beautiful beast
Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I feel no need to change anything. And all dyno reports so far document the car to be very underrated in regards to published hp/tq. It's plenty hard already to find a place to open it up and air it out in 1st through 3rd without being a menace to others around me

No idea how much more it can handle because it's hard for me to handle what's there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
You bought it, so I sure as he'll hope you're in love with it. Still not going to convince me that it's worth the money to buy one unless you intend to track it. It's a horrible street car, IMHO.
Didn't catch if you actually own one? And if you do which roads you are basing your informed opinion on?

I am not out to convince anyone of anything, and if I did not like it I'd say so, sell it, and buy whatever else I think I want. I'm a car guy not a marque fan boy and have owned sports cars 3-4x the price of the Z/28 so I know the competition. The Z/28 is a f'ing steal for the experience it offers.

It was mighty fine to run errands with it today on the highways and local city streets. As a entrepreneur working 24/7 it's my thirty-minute Mental Margarita when I need one. No other car I'd rather have.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
However, my plan is to focus on learning the car and building my skills to match, before adding power to the mix...
Same here