Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Question Dual clutch transmission (DCT)?

Any speculation when (if at all) the Camaro might get some sort of dual clutch transmission (DCT)? Seems like each car manufacturers are coming out with dual clutch trannys these days.

I think I read that the C7 Corvette will get a DCT, but that's not for a few years. Any chance of Camaro getting it soon? I'm a manual guy at heart but going to be commuting with my car so a dual-clutch auto transmission is the best I can hope for.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
I hear you on the traffic thing. Both my cars are six speed manuals, and there are days I'd LOVE to be able to switch over to an auto mode for the long boring slog into work.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Bruno

Yea I was a manual snob for the longest time, but I'm older and more practical now. Plus, the speeds that the DCT transmissions shift at are amazing so it's not like I can make the argument that I'll outshift (with manual) someone in an auto anymore
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
GM doesn't have DCT in the works for the near future that I know of. Maybe by a midcycle refresh, but unless they are really good at keeping this one a secret, I don't think anything like that is in the works. The good news is that GM's manually shifted six speed auto is generally regarded as one of the best true autos on the market.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
I hear you on the traffic thing. Both my cars are six speed manuals, and there are days I'd LOVE to be able to switch over to an auto mode for the long boring slog into work.
hmmmmm lol 6 speed autos sound nice!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
GM doesn't have DCT in the works for the near future that I know of. Maybe by a midcycle refresh, but unless they are really good at keeping this one a secret, I don't think anything like that is in the works. The good news is that GM's manually shifted six speed auto is generally regarded as one of the best true autos on the market.
I've always driven MT so pardon my ignorance but what's the criteria for good auto tranny? Shift speed? Less power loss from the crank? Something else?

I'd love to see a DCT shift-paddle system in the Camaro eventually too
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Then Allow me to educate you! (j/k)

According to THIS (page 69), the C7 Corvette will be getting a DCT.
"RWD DCT for NG Corvette"

And, yeah - The A6's that GM's putting out right now are the best of the best. In fact...I hear that BMW buys some from GM to use in their cars...
Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Then Allow me to educate you! (j/k)

According to THIS (page 69), the C7 Corvette will be getting a DCT.
"RWD DCT for NG Corvette"

And, yeah - The A6's that GM's putting out right now are the best of the best. In fact...I hear that BMW buys some from GM to use in their cars...
Yeah but if the C7 isn't coming out until 2011, it will miss the Camaro launch, and I imagine they'd hold off for a year or two to give the Vette some glory, so I still stick to my mid-cycle refresh prediction.

As far as BMW buying GM's 6 speed autos, might that have something to do with the use of the two-mode hybrid?
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm a person who generally thinks in terms of speed and track times and in having both T56s and currently have a somewhat big-stall 4L60. I love shifting for myself (I have a manual tranny 4Runner I daily drive) but autos, with stalls, own at the track.

My opinion is that I'm sure the DCT tranny you're speculating would be an additionaly cost option above the 6L80 that GM has now. I'm planning on a manual for my fifth gen' and wouldn't pay the additional price I think a DCT tranny would be over even a six-speed auto. I too have read good reviews about GMs new light-duty six-speed autos and wouldn't necessarily mind owning one, but I miss powershifting

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm a person who generally thinks in terms of speed and track times and in having both T56s and currently have a somewhat big-stall 4L60. I love shifting for myself (I have a manual tranny 4Runner I daily drive) but autos, with stalls, own at the track.

My opinion is that I'm sure the DCT tranny you're speculating would be an additionaly cost option above the 6L80 that GM has now. I'm planning on a manual for my fifth gen' and wouldn't pay the additional price I think a DCT tranny would be over even a six-speed auto. I too have read good reviews about GMs new light-duty six-speed autos and wouldn't necessarily mind owning one, but I miss powershifting
I realize that a DCT transmission would be additional cost, but it would probably be an option instead of standard? That way people can opt to pay the cost or not.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Yeah but if the C7 isn't coming out until 2011, it will miss the Camaro launch, and I imagine they'd hold off for a year or two to give the Vette some glory, so I still stick to my mid-cycle refresh prediction.
Oh, absolutely. I just thought that would be considered the 'near future'.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Bruno

Quote:

As far as BMW buying GM's 6 speed autos, might that have something to do with the use of the two-mode hybrid?
That's too bad.. ah well I guess I'll just have to deal with the kick-a** GM auto tranny.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
Splicerguy

Drives: 2002 trailblazer
Quote:
they might hold it as Corvette exclusive, but I'm sure that it wasn't too cheap to develop. I would think that they want to spread it over as many platforms as practical to recoup the development costs as quickly as possible. It may be Corvette only for a year, but I'd be surprised if the exclusivity lasts much past that.
Splicerguy is offline   Reply With Quote