Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
FeArLeSsInSoCaL
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
CAT or NO CAT?????

hey guys, ive been going back and forth on whether to remove my catalytic converter. i hear rumors that it might mess up my computer and the "check engine" light will be on at all times. then ive heard it doesnt affect anything and i will have HP gain and a louder exhaust. if anyone has any intel i would greatly appreciate it.
FeArLeSsInSoCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Madcat0911

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I may be wrong, but I think it's against the law anywhere in the US to remove your catalytic converter...

It'll certainly throw alerts if you're in a state where they check emissions.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
YES its against the law and no it isnt right.

High Flow Cats have been said to flow just as good as a car with No cats however im sure you are looking at removing your cats for sound purposes and not HP.

If you are like me and Live outside the city limits Cats dont matter.......Do what you want just keep in mind you will add Rasp to the sound of your car.

As for people saying but a car without Cats STINK with a Proper tune your car should not stink what so ever. Just dont dump your exhaust where it is smoldering below your seat run it out the back if you choose to do so.

Yes it is ILLEGAL and if you have to get your car inspected then this is something you need to think twice about unless you have ways of doing that.
Plus keep in mind some folks have sound laws.

Asking someone on here to keep a cat or remove a cat is like asking
whats better automatic or manual

Go with what you want and leave it at that.

Removing a cat will make your car louder for sure just keep in mind with the type of muffler you are running. ( Drone will get louder without cats )

seeing you are in California and with your laws I might think twice.......yes Texas is strict on our Emissions however there is always a way to do something in the Lone Star State....... another reason why no car sounds like a Car from TEXAS. Especially Cars from down in the Houstin/Baytown area.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
FeArLeSsInSoCaL
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it...
FeArLeSsInSoCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Master Shake

Drives: Camaro LS
Anyone try a y-pipe setup where you switch between the cat and open pipes -- at least for states that only check your computer (as opposed to a visual inspection)?
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
i doubt you would get much gain without them...

and your car would stink like a sewer! i hate catless car smells
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSuwaidi View Post
i doubt you would get much gain without them...

and your car would stink like a sewer! i hate catless car smells
If your car has no cats and you sit at a redlight and you smell your exhaust then you need a GOOD Tune.

I live outside of the city limits so inspections are not a Big thing. I recently installed 1 7/8 longtubes "NOCATS" ARH Xpipe and Borla Stingers and of course TUNED by someone who knows WTF he was doing. I can sit at a Redlight for 4 minutes with the windows down and not smell a thing.
Now yes if you walk to the back of the car and just stand there leaning over DUH yeah you will smell it but it still wont knock you on your A$$.
The only way it should be unbearable is if your car isnt tuned right and you are running real Rich.

Oh and it may not Add Hp hell it may I dont know ( I know I know what Jenetty's test showed ) however it does affect the throttle response because behind my car its Very noticable.

For those of you in the City yeah you may want to run cats only because trying to find someone to inspect your car may be a pain in the A$$.

Last edited by Jekyll-N-Hyde; 05-18-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
NO CAT= MORE POLLUTION to the poor Earth.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
High Flow cats
Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
My car doesnt stink at all unless you bury your face in the tail pipe.. now an old ass motor or a badly tuned motor will smell like you're pouring gas out of the tailpipes, but LS3's and L99's are very efficient in burning up all of the fuel.. reason why they get such good mileage... They dont get such great mileage because they are running rich as all get out.

Do what you want tho. I havent had a problem at all with smell. (If you were wanting to be super green you wouldn't own a Camaro anyway you would own a Prius, am i incorrect?)
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeArLeSsInSoCaL View Post
hey guys, ive been going back and forth on whether to remove my catalytic converter. i hear rumors that it might mess up my computer and the "check engine" light will be on at all times. then ive heard it doesnt affect anything and i will have HP gain and a louder exhaust. if anyone has any intel i would greatly appreciate it.
i recently installed off road downpipes, and this is true. although i dont think it'll 'mess up' the computer.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
If your car has no cats and you sit at a redlight and you smell your exhaust then you need a GOOD Tune.

I live outside of the city limits so inspections are not a Big thing. I recently installed 1 7/8 longtubes "NOCATS" ARH Xpipe and Borla Stingers and of course TUNED by someone who knows WTF he was doing. I can sit at a Redlight for 4 minutes with the windows down and not smell a thing.
Now yes if you walk to the back of the car and just stand there leaning over DUH yeah you will smell it but it still wont knock you on your A$$.
The only way it should be unbearable is if your car isnt tuned right and you are running real Rich.

Oh and it may not Add Hp hell it may I dont know ( I know I know what Jenetty's test showed ) however it does affect the throttle response because behind my car its Very noticable.

For those of you in the City yeah you may want to run cats only because trying to find someone to inspect your car may be a pain in the A$$.

Just went through this same decision. Upgraded to Stainless Works 2" long tubes, Comp G6x3 cam with Borla S catback and tune. After discussing with my speed shop, I opted to go catless. They prefer to tune them without cats and having done several Camaro's, they're experience has been that even thought they may be called hi-flow cats they do cut hp. I've been running without cats for a week now and no ill effects. No CEL or 'sewer' smell. Just a slight rich odor on startup. I have to agree that I can idle at length and unless I stick my nose in the tailpipe I can't smell anything.

Just my .02

JD
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L82RUN View Post

Just went through this same decision. Upgraded to Stainless Works 2" long tubes, Comp G6x3 cam with Borla S catback and tune. After discussing with my speed shop, I opted to go catless. They prefer to tune them without cats and having done several Camaro's, they're experience has been that even thought they may be called hi-flow cats they do cut hp. I've been running without cats for a week now and no ill effects. No CEL or 'sewer' smell. Just a slight rich odor on startup. I have to agree that I can idle at length and unless I stick my nose in the tailpipe I can't smell anything.

Just my .02

JD

It will be a week this Friday for me.

If someone lives in the city go with your cats its less of a PIA come inspection time as for me I wont have that problem right now.

the F16's and F35's I help Build Daily and put into the air polute the enviroment a thousand times more than my car hurts the earth.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post

the F16's and F35's I help Build Daily and put into the air polute the enviroment a thousand times more than my car hurts the earth.

Well said, well said...