Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Suspension diagram

Could someone provide a labeled diagram or iso view of all the suspension parts and what they're connected to for newbies like me?

Just starting my research on upgrade mods in this area and knowing what everything is attached to would make understanding it alot quicker and easier.

Thanks.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I attached a cool little picture I have for explaining which parts are which, it may not be the best for what you want but I am sure it will help.

The blue colored part is the trailing arm, it is generally one of the first parts changed on the rear suspension because it not only helps the pesky wheel hop these cars have but also helps with rear suspension movement which in turn gives the car a more controlled feel in the rear. Generally along with replacing the trailing arm we recommend swapping the soft deflective-prone rubber outer trailing bushing to a better outer trailing arm bushing like our BMR poly-urethane ones. Here at BMR we have a couple different versions of trailing arms to really fit everyones needs.

The yellow colored part is the toe rod. The toe rod controls the toe of the tire and upgrading to a better toe rod will also help with wheel hop and rear suspension movement and give the car a more sure feel. Both the factory toe rods and trailing arms are made of a thinner gauge stamped steel in conjunction with soft rubber bushings and they are really prone to flex and deflect which can lead to wheel hop and less than stellar handling so anytime you can swap to a better built part with poly-urethane bushings or spherical bearings there will be a noticeable difference.

The red colored part is the lower control arm. The lower control arm is normally one of the last parts changed in the rear suspension if they are changed at all it just really depends on what the individual is wanting to do with their car.We build both an adjustable and non-adjustable version for guys wanting to tweak the camber on their car. This comes in helpful for guys who have really low cars or are wanting to run a crazy camber setting.

The purple colored part is the upper control arm and as far as I know nobody really makes a replacement arm, We do make a bushings for the upper control arm that really help control the movement of the upper control arm which leads to better handling. The picture shows the location of the bushing.

The other two pictures I attached show the location of the bushings that we manufacturer. Changing out the rear cradle bushings and differential bushings can really help with the wheel hop and the handling also is definitely recommended. We sell them together in our rear cradle bushing kit which we have two different versions of depending on the power levels and goals of the car.

In the pictures you can also see the rear shocks, rear springs, and sway bars/end links which we also make replacement parts that help out with the handling. Hopefully these pictures show you everything you are looking for.

I hope my ramble helped you out a little bit, If there are any questions I can answer for you let me know.

Kyle
Attached Images

BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Very informative, thank you. Is the sway bar the \__/ shaped bar in the last picture going across the center of it?

Other than prevention of wheel hop is there any benefits of upgrading as far as putting down more power?
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
WOW! Now that is a great tool for explaning suspension parts! Nice job.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
Very informative, thank you. Is the sway bar the \__/ shaped bar in the last picture going across the center of it?

Other than prevention of wheel hop is there any benefits of upgrading as far as putting down more power?
I am not sure why the sway bar is like that in those particular diagrams but on your car the rear sway bar will be straight across and not have the bends in it.

Upgrading the suspension will definitely not only help with wheel hop but it will help you put the power to the ground. When you have soft rubber bushing and suspension parts that deflect you will never be able to put all the power to the ground because some of the energy/power will get released within the rubber bushings and when the parts deflect. Upgrading the suspension will help in a bunch of different areas and will the car so much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
WOW! Now that is a great tool for explaning suspension parts! Nice job.
No problem, I try to do my best to help out anytime I can.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
cool i've been needing those! Can you post a better pic of the BMR girl in your signature pic ;-)
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Great photos Kyle.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Pictures are like a thousand words
Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
cool i've been needing those! Can you post a better pic of the BMR girl in your signature pic ;-)
We have some pretty good pictures somewhere I just need to see if I can dig them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Great photos Kyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActNup NY View Post
Pictures are like a thousand words
I will see if I have some more useful pictures I can put up for you guys in my picture database.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
Could someone provide a labeled diagram or iso view of all the suspension parts and what they're connected to for newbies like me?

Just starting my research on upgrade mods in this area and knowing what everything is attached to would make understanding it alot quicker and easier.

Thanks.
The most comprehensive guide for the 5th Gen Camaro is The Book of 5th Gen here on Camaro5. The Book of 5th Gen It covers everything from construction of the vehicle at the factory, to brakes, wheels, tires, suspension and thermal management.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I think these will help, if you have any questions please let me know.

Camaro Rear Diff - 3 Bushings connect it to the subframe

Camaro Rear Lower Control Arm (LCA)

Camaro Rear Toe Link

Camaro Rear Trailing Arm

Camaro Rear Upper Control Arm (UCA)

Pedders Part Numbers for Locations
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote