Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Allanski

Drives: Car
2011 Indy Pace Car will it be a camaro convertible?

2011 Indy Pace Car will it be a convertible? It could be...
Attached Images

Allanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
dgformula2k
lurker

Drives: 2000 Firebird Formula
could be, it should be! Arctic White with IOM stripes and matching IOM interior.
dgformula2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
First off I've yet to get any insider info so this is mere speculation. It will be announced just after Xmas. However here's what's got me wondering. What is the motivation and reasoning for those Z28 mules running around with a huge IMS Centennial logo's on the doors? Why would GM want to put them on there and why would the Speedway allow them to? It could be totally unrelated of course.
A possible senario would be Z28's as the actual track pace car (three of them actually), and some/all of the fleet of event/festival cars being 'verts. Many times over the years the event/festival cars have differed from the actual pace car(s). We'll see pretty soon!!!!!
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgformula2k View Post
could be, it should be! Arctic White with IOM stripes and matching IOM interior.
if GM doesn't make it the above......whomever made the decision not to should be taken out and beaten in a public forum.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
if GM doesn't make it the above......whomever made the decision not to should be taken out and beaten in a public forum.

LOL... I agree.. Since I have a 2011 white with IOM strips I would love to see it as a pace car this coming year.. I might have to add a indy decal to the back trunk lid across from the SS if it is the case..

Come on GM make it so!!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
First off I've yet to get any insider info so this is mere speculation. It will be announced just after Xmas. However here's what's got me wondering. What is the motivation and reasoning for those Z28 mules running around with a huge IMS Centennial logo's on the doors? Why would GM want to put them on there and why would the Speedway allow them to? It could be totally unrelated of course.
A possible senario would be Z28's as the actual track pace car (three of them actually), and some/all of the fleet of event/festival cars being 'verts. Many times over the years the event/festival cars have differed from the actual pace car(s). We'll see pretty soon!!!!!
I like your thoughts on that one. I hope they do use the Indy 500 to unveil the Z28. I try and make the Indy 500 about every few years. Lots of fun. I have family in Crawfordsville Indiana. I use to go to the race every year, did that for about 9 years but work and other things got in the way so don't get to go as much anymore.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post

I've been thinking that since those first pics from Cali came out, seems likely to me, the part about the Z being the pace car, hadn't thought about the verts being used as event cars, that would be cool, though. Just think about it, would there be a better way to officially unveil the new Z28? Other than possibly Daytona, I doubt it.....
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanski View Post
2011 Indy Pace Car will it be a convertible? It could be...
I don't think they are allowed to for safety reasons.

Also how would they install the light bar on the roof of a vert?
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I'm pretty sure thats now the case,no convertibles for safety reasons.
However they could use them as "parade" or festival cars.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Also how would they install the light bar on the roof of a vert?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
I'm pretty sure thats now the case,no convertibles for safety reasons.
However they could use them as "parade" or festival cars.
Light bars can be attached to the rear deck or integrated into the head rest area like the Corvette. I've also seen them add a roll bar to the vert and integrate the lights in that.

Not sure where you getting your info on this.. There have been several convertibles over the years as pace cars and as late as 2007. If you read anything from the speedway on changes regarding the use of verts please post .. Thanks

Here a few pictures of the last few verts used
2007 Corvette pace car

2005 Corvette Pace Car

2003 SSR Pace Car

Last edited by Memphis SS; 12-09-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgformula2k View Post
From one of this summer's car shows:

(White with blue isn't too bad either!)
Attached Images

RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Will it be a Camaro? Wouldn't surprise me to see some ricer or Ford Fusion hybrid.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Will it be a Camaro? Wouldn't surprise me to see some ricer or Ford Fusion hybrid.
Most definitely NOT!!!!!!! GM currently has the contract with IMS to supply pace cars and support vehicles. There was talk of Ford taking over the contract a couple of years ago or so, but the deal fell through. Also with Chevrolet joining the IRL as a supplier in 2012 (engines/aero packages), I don't think GM will be letting go of that contract with IMS for a while.

Also white with orange stripes has been done already, TWICE. In '69 for the 500 and in '96 for the third Brickyard 400. How about they do it in white with blue as a tribute the very first Camaro pace car. Not that I'm impartial or anything!

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 12-09-2010 at 12:54 PM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
all valid thoughts, here is another one the anouncement of Chevrolet power being reintroduced to INDY for an engine...would all be a good tie in
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote