Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #155
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
I noticed some of the hoses have check valves in them, does the ZL1 need the two hoses with the check valves? Just wondering, the hoses I received Do Not have the check valves.
the check valves on the RX cans are located in the top of the can. You probably received one piece of 3/8 fuel line and it a cut to fit piece. My only problem was getting the fitting that you ordered from Jegs. I ended up getting mine from advance auto for 2.99 . I just wish the "T" fitting on the roto-fab would've had 3/8 on one end and 1/2 on the other.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #156
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
The install is done! So here's how it all went. Got the wrong bracket, but it didn't matter because I didn't install to the radiator shroud. Instead I used the threaded hole (there are two, I used the one furthest to the left) in the crossbeam below the radiator. Placed the can in the highest bracket position so I have plenty of room underneath to open/close the drain. Also it didn't come with enough hose so I needed an additional two feet of 3/8th and I also had to get a one foot piece of 1/2 inch hose since the Roto Fab "T" is 1/2 inch. Plus a hose connector reducer 1/2 to 3/8th which was another six bucks from JEGs. So like an additional $12 to do the install

Once I had everything I needed, it went in super easy. Probably like 15 minutes. Here's a few pictures, I wanted everything to show as little as possible. Oh, I still need two Black Zip Ties. Had to use white ones, that's all I had on hand, but will replace those ASAP.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373662277.978270.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  141.6 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373662287.099187.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  203.5 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373662297.181983.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  204.2 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373662305.886951.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  198.2 KB
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #157
Normagene

Took my ZL1 in yesterday for its second Oil Change at the dealership. Had my catch can on for 500 miles or so, opened the drain and Not One Drop. NOTHING, Nada, Zip, the drain hose still looks brand new. I was expecting a few drops at least, but nothing came out. Any opinions? Just not enough mileage on her, I know 500 ain't much, but I thought I'd at least get a drop or two or something starting to make its way down the hose??? Oh well, next oil change if I get nothing I'll know Houston We Have A Problem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #158
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Took my ZL1 in yesterday for its second Oil Change at the dealership. Had my catch can on for 500 miles or so, opened the drain and Not One Drop. NOTHING, Nada, Zip, the drain hose still looks brand new. I was expecting a few drops at least, but nothing came out. Any opinions? Just not enough mileage on her, I know 500 ain't much, but I thought I'd at least get a drop or two or something starting to make its way down the hose??? Oh well, next oil change if I get nothing I'll know Houston We Have A Problem!

you should have had something in the can if it's working like it's suppose to. I've got the Moroso can and I opened it after only 50 miles and this is what the can already caught. I would imagine 500 miles would bring plenty more.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #159
ZL1Reaper

Drives: '13 Silver Ice Metallic ZL1
Quote:

It depends how hard you've driven your car on those 500 miles.
I only had a little bit in the can after two drag races. And so far, since I bought my can (over 6000 miles ago), I have not reached 1 oz of oil yet.
ZL1Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #160
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
you should have had something in the can if it's working like it's suppose to. I've got the Moroso can and I opened it after only 50 miles and this is what the can already caught. I would imagine 500 miles would bring plenty more.

That's a nice can, like the way you can open it up. What's the rest of it look like, and can you see the guts of it? My RX can is solid, screw valve with a drain hose dead center bottom. Maybe I shoulda blown some air into it in case it was clogged up or use my small shop vac and see if it can pull anything out.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #161
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Moroso

Quote:
I have the Moroso can. Put it on about 2,500 km ago and today I did my 2nd oil change @ 7,288km

I got less than an ounce, maybe a out 3/4 ounce
I figured that's good news
1. It works 😄
2. I'll only need to drain it every oil change
TomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #162
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....a catch can that has three fittings, such as the RX ZL1 product....the center fitting is the engine block oil source <valley>, the outside fittings have the check valves and are the vacuum sources from the intake fitting on the SC and CAI assembly T fitting. Boy I messesd that all up initially. I'll just give up trying to explain stuff....LOL.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 09-09-2013 at 05:58 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #163
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....a catch can that has three fittings, such as the RX ZL1 product....the center fitting is the engine vacuum source <intake manifold>, the outside <outboard> fittings are the supply side fittings, meaning, they have the check valves and draw the oil into the can from the engine block and CAI assembly.
Not sure what that means? 500 miles on my can and not a drop of oil, nothing at all came out. I have the three valve RX can, and I did my connections just like in this diagram.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #164
Cybeast

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 #1562
Is the center fitting on the can on the lower fitting on engine?
Cybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #165
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybeast View Post
Is the center fitting on the can on the lower fitting on engine?
Yes, It sure is.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #166
98on20s

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I finally received my dual catch can last week that I had AN fittings put on from RX. I have a Roto-Rab intake system on my 2013 ZL1. Is there any photos of anyone has a dual catch can set up with Roto-Fab? I need to know how I hook up the last hose to the intake. I have a dual house bib connector for the vacuum connection from Roto-Fab intake kit. Do I need a special fitting to attach the AN hose to the intake vacuum inlet?
98on20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #167
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

....no oil in mine after 200 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
...that depends on alot.
Quote:
Not sure what that means? 500 miles on my can and not a drop of oil, nothing at all came out. I have the three valve RX can, and I did my connections just like in this diagram.

...the center fitting on the catch can, the one in the middle is, the engine block. The outboard ones have the check valves and go to the SC and CAI. I fixed my first thread. Boy did I mangle words up....sorry for the confusion! LOL.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 09-09-2013 at 05:56 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #168
98on20s

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Is there photos where I connect the three hoses?
98on20s is offline   Reply With Quote