Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Wrong forum madness

Am I the only one who thinks most forum members have no regard in posting a new thread in the correct sub forum?

It actually does detract form the enjoyment of the site. Why don't some folks understand the main forum isn't about a part they want to sell, the new Batman movie, am I getting a fair deal & tire/wheel/lighting/engine/suspension threads? If they can't post in the right forum do we need them? It's either being too lazy or too stupid, I think it's time that these folks were encouraged on the proper forum etiquette.

I know it's takes up the mods time moving threads all day and I know the site isn't free or cheap. Why does this pattern seem to be getting worse?

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
No different on other sites. I can easily move 15+ topics a day (moderator) on our truck site.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
For new members, the solution is usually as simple as letting them know they posted in the wrong section & what the proper one is. Many legitimately do not know all the areas of the site (despite the handy guide one of our moderators so generously created). We shouldn't be too hard on these folks.

For ones that should know better, we do issue infractions. That has (in my opinion) cleaned things up a bit. But there will always be those who believe that 5th Gen General (or its equivalent on any other forum) is the best way to get the most views of their thread (why they value thread hits over quality responses I will never know).

Anyway, any members that are frustrated by this are encouraged to do 2 things. First, like I said earlier, explain to the OP (as politely as you can) that their thread would be better suited in another area. Additionally, let the site staff know that there is an out-of-place thread so that we can move it. You can do it either via PM or by reporting the post (this guy: )
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
You aren't wrong, the problem with politely encouraging anything be it grammar/punctuation or proper sub forums are that you'll end up getting flamed by a bunch of people. Christ, you'll get flamed for giving someone crap about driving like an idiot or using questionable judgment. I'm not worried about being Mr. Congeniality but after a while it just gets really old.

I personally try to avoid using the report button after I found out how much stuff you guys have to sift through everyday on top of your regular jobs.... that has to suck.

It just all adds up to a less enjoyable experience as the people who can't or won't follow the rules seem to run wild. Meh, first world problems....

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
For new members, the solution is usually as simple as letting them know they posted in the wrong section & what the proper one is. Many legitimately do not know all the areas of the site (despite the handy guide one of our moderators so generously created). We shouldn't be too hard on these folks.

For ones that should know better, we do issue infractions. That has (in my opinion) cleaned things up a bit. But there will always be those who believe that 5th Gen General (or its equivalent on any other forum) is the best way to get the most views of their thread (why they value thread hits over quality responses I will never know).

Anyway, any members that are frustrated by this are encouraged to do 2 things. First, like I said earlier, explain to the OP (as politely as you can) that their thread would be better suited in another area. Additionally, let the site staff know that there is an out-of-place thread so that we can move it. You can do it either via PM or by reporting the post (this guy: )
Exactly
Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
You aren't wrong, the problem with politely encouraging anything be it grammar/punctuation or proper sub forums are that you'll end up getting flamed by a bunch of people. Christ, you'll get flamed for giving someone crap about driving like an idiot or using questionable judgment. I'm not worried about being Mr. Congeniality but after a while it just gets really old.

I personally try to avoid using the report button after I found out how much stuff you guys have to sift through everyday on top of your regular jobs.... that has to suck.

It just all adds up to a less enjoyable experience as the people who can't or won't follow the rules seem to run wild. Meh, first world problems....
Don't worry about reporting posts. While we don't jump for joy when getting them, if there is something amis we would rather know about it than not. And in the end, we can't fix things we don't know about.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote