Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #43
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
With everything we know and have read about the ZL1 up to this point it seems logical to say it was supposed to be the Z28. Well kids unfortunately it's not. Fitz or OP said stay tuned when asked about the Z28 at the ZL1 press release. As always, thats an open ended and enigmatic answer. Code talk for yes...in the future. Scott said that name is beholden and not to be used lightly. The Zeta is too heavy, you can't shave any meaningful weight from it, no matter how you slice the pie. The ZL1 is engineered to be a beast, in all areas of performance. They have done everything to shed weight as they ad to it with all the gear that makes it a beast. It's a high wire tight rope balancing act. Where we are in the life cycle of the Zeta compared to the upcoming Alpha platform, I just don't see Chevy trying to morph the 5th gen with retooling, addition or subtraction, or design changes just to make a Z28. There are so many pie in the sky easy fixes mentioned for the issue. Just stick a LS7 in it.....really? Just lighten it up three hundered pounds, ....really? They are not gonna start gutting and stripping the car down with delete everything and put a ZR1 motor in it......thats assinine. Look, Chevy spent years and millions of man hours perfecting the soon to be released ZL1. That was the Z28.......there was a delay...they fought almost to the death over the name. Ford spent alot of time and effort likewise making the Boss. Who cares about Ford,....., let them eat cake. Our s _ _ _'s better than theirs any day of the week. The Zl1 is gonna make believers outta neigh sayer's and alotta people eat their words with a fork and a knife.
The LS engine family will be dead when the new DI gets released. You'll still be able to get 'em over the counter crated but we are going to get a clean sheet of paper around MY15 with the Alpha Camaro and DI engine. I betcha they are working on that combo now for the initial R&D for a Z28. I think when the Chevy brass said stay tuned, thats the point when we need to turn on the TV and look for the Z28 show. Just my gut feeling on the topic...now back to our regular programing.....,
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think there is too much being made of the weight of the Zeta chassis making a Z28 impossible. Despite its weight penalty over the Mustang, it is still capable of out-handling the Ford with the right suspension setup. Stiffer structure, better balance, and an IRS can make up for having an extra 200 lbs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #45
SGT Stretch

Drives: 2016 Hyper Metallic Blue SS
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l1_z28-feature

all i know about the z28 minus what i have been reading here.. took me a while to find it on the net but i remember reading it in my C&D mag
SGT Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #46
flopjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Before the ZL1 was announced we had evidence but no certainty.

Now, we have certainty that the Z/28 is coming, but no evidence.

Or is there? Compare the T3 Bumblebee with the Jay Leno SEMA Concept Car - almost identical. Its highly likely that the Z/28 will share much of that appearance.

I don't expect the Z/28 to share the twin-turbo V6 with the Jay Leno Concept. The market for high performance muscle cars is simply not primarily for V6 cars, no matter how much better they might be. There is the possibility of a detuned LS7 making it to the Z/28, but I would prefer a pumped up LS3 because a detuned version of anything just leaves you with that feeling that its not the best the manufacturer could have done. They actually make a cammed version of the LS3 as a crate engine on GM Performance Parts called the LS376/480. It produces 480 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque. That should be enough to beat any Boss that a Z/28 might encounter, especially if its also equipped with a properly upgraded suspension and weight reduction.

I guess it seems simple what we want in a Z/28, but when you really map out all the elements then there is a lot to it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #47
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
As I mentioned in this thread, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...46#post3391546 we're not likely to see a Gen-5 V8 in a Gen-5 Camaro. So there goes one "possibility". And, based on the size of the Zeta and the co$t$ involved, a TT-V6 (as much as I like the idea - see my avatar) is out, as well...

As to a "hot" LS3 vs. an LS7, the LS7 is certified and validated for Production...the GM PP-derived 480hp LS3 isn't. The added co$t$ of that process, for somewhat limited production, will certainly eat into the LS3's apparent cost advantage over the LS7, and result in an end product somewhat less than a "427 Z/28" would provide...

If GM is all about trumping the BOSS Pony, best they use a THOROUGHBRED!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I am with you lowdown i really am. It doesnt seem like it, but I am trying to be more realistic rather than optimistic. Neither Number3 or fbobfather have debunked the LS7 officially but the first thing #3 said a while back was about howw he price of the car wouldnt suffice for the average buyer with the LS7 in it. Just trying to read between the lines and try to make sense of what GM would find most suitable for our beloved namesake!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #49
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Took me awhile to find this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=149090&page=2

...post #26...admittedly, one of manymanymany of value by Number 3 on this topic which, to me, sez "some thought" is certainly being given...by all manner of folks within AND beyond GM.

To that list I previously gave (above), add ZL1 Brakes...and "Laguna Seca" money would get you a BOSS-Basher...IMHO

Let me throw this out: Who would rather have a 505/470 LS7, and who would rather have a 450/440 "hot" LS3 for $5,000 less? All other things being equal...including Curb Weight.

'Cause, no matter what you do to an LS3, it will NOT = an LS7 from the assemblyline...and the more you modify an LS3, the closer you get, in co$t$, to an LS7, which only makes the LS7 more sensible...

As stated by Number 3, "Business Case required"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #50
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Originally Posted by Mikes SS
That is not how they price the 2lt from the 2SS. There is an 8 grand difference and the only difference is engine and tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
All of those components are comparable in price from the 2lt and the 2SS. I have done my homework, thanks anyway

According to the Chevy website it is a $7,000.00 difference in price. Some of the differences mentioned are: engine, transmission, differential, brakes, suspension, exhaust, rear spoiler, wheels, tires...
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #51
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Took me awhile to find this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=149090&page=2

...post #26...admittedly, one of manymanymany of value by Number 3 on this topic which, to me, sez "some thought" is certainly being given...by all manner of folks within AND beyond GM.

To that list I previously gave (above), add ZL1 Brakes...and "Laguna Seca" money would get you a BOSS-Basher...IMHO

Let me throw this out: Who would rather have a 505/470 LS7, and who would rather have a 450/440 "hot" LS3 for $5,000 less? All other things being equal...including Curb Weight.

'Cause, no matter what you do to an LS3, it will NOT = an LS7 from the assemblyline...and the more you modify an LS3, the closer you get, in co$t$, to an LS7, which only makes the LS7 more sensible...

As stated by Number 3, "Business Case required"...
Thanks LOWDOWN!

It's so simple if, I say if there is a chance of getting a 5Gen Z28 it has to use ready made parts. Time is of the essence. I would like to see a 5Gen Z28, it is the only generation without the icon available. It is a very different car than the ZL1. It can be marketed differently. It fills a rather large pricepoint gap. To simplify the makeup of the Z28 take a 1SS add an LS7, FE4 Suspension, ZL1 - Brakes, Transmission, Rearend, Exhaust, Wheels, Tires...Stir... and Serve

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 06-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #52
musicmanz28

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green LS
All I know is that any chevrolet can be an SS. Only one can be a Z28!!!!
musicmanz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #53
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanz28 View Post
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #54
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Originally Posted by Mikes SS
That is not how they price the 2lt from the 2SS. There is an 8 grand difference and the only difference is engine and tranny.

According to the Chevy website it is a $7,000.00 difference in price. Some of the differences mentioned are: engine, transmission, differential, brakes, suspension, exhaust, rear spoiler, wheels, tires...
Pretty much priced rationally with the added content. Brembo brakes alone might be pushing $1,000??

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanz28 View Post
Amen!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #55
durrettcustoms

Drives: 1969, 2002 & 2010 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Gawd, Gibby, NOW yer gittin' with the PROGRAM!

Fact is, from GM PP, the crate-engine difference is about $7,000...with faaaar more profit made when they ring up an LS7 than an LS3...

Seriously, with deference to Number 3, if Ford can sell out 4000 BOSS ponies at low-mid-$40s, I suspect GM can sell MORE LS7-engined, option-careful, non-MR, ZL1-enhanced driveline'd/wheel'd/tire'd/brake'd thoroughbreds...for about the same dough...and SMILE all the way to the BANK!

Mike, your 1000-unit number would be the number of deposits, Day 1, for orders of our "favorite" Camaro...
WOW man you are in fantasy land! Don't get me wrong what you just described would be the ULTIMATE Camaro to me.......fact is it will never happen especially at that price point. If GM ever put the LS7 in the new Camaros it would have been with the ZL1 badge on it and we see where that went. GM knows what they have with the LS7 and LSA engines. The LSA is built to make a certain amount of power and not much more. The LS7 has so much more potential it is unbelievable. You can easily make 650+ hp with Cam and ported heads on the LS7. I honestly think GM will never put the engine that is in that years Z06 into a Camaro. (IE 427(1969 only came in COPO cars), LT5(ZR1), LS6, LS7)

It would make it hard to sell a car for 75K when you can buy a car with the SAME engine for 25k less. (Doesn't matter how many carbon fiber panels it has.)

1100 - 5/18/2009 - (Preliminary Order Accepted)
2000 - 9/23/2009 - (Accepted by GM)
3000 - 10/1/2009 - (Accepted by Production Control)
3300 - 10/2/2009 - (Scheduled for Production)
TPW -10/19/2009
3800 - 10/27/2009 -(Produced) VIN
4200 - 11/5/2009 - (Shipped)
Arrived in Mesquite Tx @ 1:13pm on 11/9/2009!
durrettcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #56
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
While I agree that you will only find the LS7 Camaro in Fantasy Land I disagree with your resoning why. If you are going to compare the Camaro lineup to the Corvette lineup for badging then the LS7 mates perfectly to the Z28 name as Z28 equals Z06 in GMs eyes. The ZL1 is the Camaro equivalent of the ZR1 for GM. We can't keep going back to the 60's to determine how the Camaro should be sold today. As GM proved by naming ZL1 as it did; lets leave the 60s for the historians

And a Z28 LS7 Camaro will never pull too many buyers away from the Z06. Come on, it is practically a freaking supercar, the Camaro a completey different category of sports car. If your reasoning was true everyone who wants an LS7 Z06 would just by and SS for $33k and drop in the LS7 for less than $10k...really???

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote