Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Premium gas

Anyone else notice that Shell's 93 octane "V-power" is way more than the regular? I had to gas up my Jeep today and regular was $2.80. I noticed V-power was going for $3.42. Over 60 cents more per gallon WTH? Are all the stations doing this? I know premium is more than regular, but I always remember it being 30-40 cents more, not 60. I normally get gas for the Camaro at Sunoco, so I'll have to see what they're charging.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Anyone else notice that Shell's 93 octane "V-power" is way more than the regular? I had to gas up my Jeep today and regular was $2.80. I noticed V-power was going for $3.42. Over 60 cents more per gallon WTH? Are all the stations doing this? I know premium is more than regular, but I always remember it being 30-40 cents more, not 60. I normally get gas for the Camaro at Sunoco, so I'll have to see what they're charging.
The price spread between regular and premium has increased due to fracking in the US. WTI (The US stuff) has gone down in price more than Brent Crude and other foreign oil because of the massive increase in US oil production. And Brent is typically used for higher octane fuel, whereas WTI is great for regular. In my area, the spread has been unusually big since gas prices came down last year.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
The price spread between regular and premium has increased due to fracking in the US. WTI (The US stuff) has gone down in price more than Brent Crude and other foreign oil because of the massive increase in US oil production. And Brent is typically used for higher octane fuel, whereas WTI is great for regular. In my area, the spread has been unusually big since gas prices came down last year.
Interesting, thanks. To be honest, I never paid that much attention to the price of regular when filling up with premium, and vice versa. Then one day, I was like, something's fishy here. Bummer

Old 06-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Quote:

The difference here is reg is 2.52 and v power was 3.42. I alway use shell in my cars but only two get v power an there not dd's so I don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Interesting, thanks. To be honest, I never paid that much attention to the price of regular when filling up with premium, and vice versa. Then one day, I was like, something's fishy here. Bummer
I have the V6 Camaro, and you can use regular, but it does perform better with premium (it pulls a little bit of timing on regular gas). So when gas prices started shooting up, I just went with regular. Once gas prices started coming down, I wanted to start using the premium again, but noticed the increased price spread. I have still mostly used regular through the winter (I don't do much performance driving in winter). 30 cents more per gallon when prices are low is no big deal, but 60 cents will make you think twice which grade you buy.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
..... I noticed V-power was going for $3.42. Over 60 cents more per gallon WTH?
E.T. phone home!!!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
It's $2.90-$3.00 here depending on which Shell. I'm glad our gas is way cheaper than you guy's lol
Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Most places around here are about .40 more for premium but i feel like all shell stations i go to are about .50-.60
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #9
E.T.

Quote:
I have the V6 Camaro, and you can use regular, but it does perform better with premium (it pulls a little bit of timing on regular gas). So when gas prices started shooting up, I just went with regular. Once gas prices started coming down, I wanted to start using the premium again, but noticed the increased price spread. I have still mostly used regular through the winter (I don't do much performance driving in winter). 30 cents more per gallon when prices are low is no big deal, but 60 cents will make you think twice which grade you buy.
Yeah, I used to put premium in my V6 back when I had it, but now I might think twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
E.T. phone home!!!
I can't. Don't have any change. Spent it all on gas, LOL

Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #10
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
Most places around here are about .40 more for premium but i feel like all shell stations i go to are about .50-.60
I'm pretty sure Sunoco was around $0.40 more last time I went there.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #11
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
This is also Shell thinking their stuff is better than everyone elses (and convincing folks of that by charging more, "it cost more it must be better!" They've always done that.

My dad owned shell stations for quite a few years, their pricing mandate made it extremely difficult to be competitive.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #12
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
This is my understanding also..

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #13
Mongo36

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Here, Middle TN, Shell is almost always 10-15 cents higher than Exxon for premium. Exxon runs 40 cents more Premium to Regular, Shell more like 45 cents. The prices vary wildly from one small area to the next. I use Gas Buddy app.
'14 2SS/RS Cold Air Induction CAI - Solo Preformance ultra high flow Cats - Solo Performance Mach XL cat back exhaust - Opt7 HID fog lights - Headlight Armor headlight protection and smoked side markers - 3M Scotchgard clear bra - ZL1 Rock Guards - Autobot gas cover and side emblems - Autobot console lid - Permagrin :u
Mongo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
E.T.

Just an FYI, I filled up at Sunoco yesterday. Premium was $3.02, regular was $2.58. Still a bit of a spread, but a little more reasonable. Screw Shell and their 60 cent+ per gallon markup.