Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #365
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #366
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
So while I've been laid up due to my injury, I've been just bench racing and theorizing about things...

My first step when I do work on the engine is Heads/Cam/Intake/TB on the stock bottom end. Assuming if I really race it like I plan and want the bottom end will let loose eventually...

This leads me to an idea... I've always liked the story of the First Gen Z/28 302 and thought it would be cool to do similarly but with a 4.125 bore and a stock 3.622 crank. This would equal roughly 388ci or 6.3L with the right cam and supporting mods 7500 rpm should be easy. It would be sick for the Road Course...
Old 07-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #367
Firefighter

Also the boot is off but therapy is happening... We'll see if I can get that reservoir done next week end.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #368
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Suck it up princess and gitrdone ;-)
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #369
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
So while I've been laid up due to my injury, I've been just bench racing and theorizing about things...

My first step when I do work on the engine is Heads/Cam/Intake/TB on the stock bottom end. Assuming if I really race it like I plan and want the bottom end will let loose eventually...

This leads me to an idea... I've always liked the story of the First Gen Z/28 302 and thought it would be cool to do similarly but with a 4.125 bore and a stock 3.622 crank. This would equal roughly 388ci or 6.3L with the right cam and supporting mods 7500 rpm should be easy. It would be sick for the Road Course...
I loves me some high rpm's....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #370
Firefighter

So need some opinions. I've decided that the rockers are suspect on my car. My plans started out that I would just use the summit kit that comes with PAC springs and the installation tool. I'll upgrade the 5/16 pushrods and add tool steel retainers. This would net me zero gain but add reliability and piece of mind. Here's a link to the kit... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-k-14300

When searching out parts it occurred to me why do all this work and not pick up even a few HP/TQ regardless of how small it will be something. So for about $200 more I can add the Comp Cams 1678 rockers in 1.8 here... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1678-16

Supposedly this is worth maybe 10HP/15TQ while it is a small gain it is some reward for the effort. This is not to replace a cam that's going to happen eventually and I'll likely run a shaft mount set up then if these won't work for my situation. If that is the case I will just throw them on the wife's G8 GT.

I'll make sure the springs and pushrods are measured out properly for both cars. These are supposed to fit under the stock valve covers too.

My biggest concern is I'll need a retune. If this is the case it'll get to be too costly for the minimal gain.

I know the stock rockers with the upgrade are more than sufficient for a stock cam. I'd just like to get a seat of the pants gain out of the labor.

I do plan to do the cam and other parts later but a few things have made that not feasible right now and I don't like the sounds coming out of my valve train. She's getting a little noisy compared to normal.

So thoughts opinions etc...

Last edited by Firefighter; 08-08-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #371
Firefighter

Unless I get some differing advice that seems good I think I'm going to order parts tonight.

I'm thinking that Summit kit which has better springs than the factory made by PAC and the same trunion kit that Tooley sells (which is out of stock right now) and add the lightweight Tool Steel retainers. Plus the Magnum 5/16 pushrods.

I'm thinking the replacement of the springs and retainers are excessive but since I'm in there it'll be good piece of mind. I'm at 35K miles.

I'll probably do some plugs too while I have them out. Stock are the Delco iridium 41-110. I was told by my tuner to run TR6 plugs which are one range cooler than stock. From what I've been able to figure out the 41-104 (from the ZL1 and ZO6) is the equivalent heat wise to the TR6.

Any thoughts? That one rocker is rattling and I need to fix it this weekend.

Last edited by Firefighter; 08-09-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #372
Firefighter

So I ended up getting the Smith Brothers trunion kit and stock length pushrods from BTR. I also got the trunion tool from Summit Racing.

The install went well got it done in a day and taught my 10 y/o son how to do the job. All in all it was a good day and a successful project.

Here's a link to the discussion that came from this project... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462678

Last edited by Firefighter; 08-14-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #373
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
You have a very nice ride my friend, I like your build, I only wish I had the time to do it the way I want, and it's getting there, slowly.
I wish there were more 5th gens where I live, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough or have the time, but I'm a motorhead for life. I love seeing people mod there cars-The Right Way.
Enjoy your beautiful ride!
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #374
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2SS/RS 6M View Post
You have a very nice ride my friend, I like your build, I only wish I had the time to do it the way I want, and it's getting there, slowly.
I wish there were more 5th gens where I live, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough or have the time, but I'm a motorhead for life. I love seeing people mod there cars-The Right Way.
Enjoy your beautiful ride!
Hey man, I really appreciate the compliments. I try to do things right. I'm still wanting to do the heads and cam but finances haven't been agreeing with my wants. It'll happen though.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #375
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post

I think this is what Danny Popp has in his Corvette. A destroyed LS7.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #376
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
I think this is what Danny Popp has in his Corvette. A destroyed LS7.
Interesting, I'll look into his set up...
Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #377
Firefighter

So since I'm basically 90% healed and at least I can stand on my bad ankle for a few hours I started ordering some parts.

I have the reservoir for the clutch I'll fab up the bracket. I should be getting a ZL1 belly pan I ordered in a day or two. I just ordered the ACS T3 radiator support so I'll get some air through the mail slot. I need to order some Race Ramps tomorrow.

Expect some write-ups and pics to follow in the next week or two.

Last edited by Firefighter; 04-23-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #378
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Nice to hear you're getting back in the game...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote