Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
heidi

Drives: Black SS, Black Expedition
Camaro on lot with swirl marks!

I ran across an Black on Black SS on a lot that I might have a shot at. Upon closer inspection, I noticed swirl marks on the aft roof bar. Someone detailing it screwed it up. I think if I get a shot at it I would have to pass. My last vehicle came in brand new, but some jerk had to polish it with a buffer. The manufacture would polish it and try to correct it, but after the first one or two rains, the marks showed back up again. I image same would happen with the Camaro? Anybody else have experience with this swirl mark issue?

John
heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
What black (or any car on the planet earth) car doesn't have swirl marks? Even if you buy it and there are zero swirl marks, unless you never wash it...or live on the moon...it's going to happen.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
What black (or any car on the planet earth) car doesn't have swirl marks? Even if you buy it and there are zero swirl marks, unless you never wash it...or live on the moon...it's going to happen.
Oh damn. So that's all I have to do to keep these off of my car. Move to the moon. I'm so there.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
A good detailer can remove the swirl marks without causing additional ones. A LOT of new cars are prepped by untrained (or minimally trained) individuals who end up causing swirl marks in the paint...probably without realizing it. The swirl marks get covered up when they put a nice glaze wax on it that fills in the imperfections in the paint making it look perfect. You do not know it until the glaze is washed off the first time or two you wash the car.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi View Post
I ran across an Black on Black SS on a lot that I might have a shot at. Upon closer inspection, I noticed swirl marks on the aft roof bar. Someone detailing it screwed it up. I think if I get a shot at it I would have to pass. My last vehicle came in brand new, but some jerk had to polish it with a buffer. The manufacture would polish it and try to correct it, but after the first one or two rains, the marks showed back up again. I image same would happen with the Camaro? Anybody else have experience with this swirl mark issue?

John
if u take it a capable detail shop or a bodyshop that knows what they're doing, they can remove those. don't pass on it if ya want it!

when u wash and wax it, NEVER use Mr Miagi circular motions......no more swirls!

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Swirl marks are a full-time concern with dark colors...but I would NEVER pass on a car because of them. A skilled detailer can remove them...not hide them...remove them. It does take care to prevent them from reoccurring, though.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Oh damn. So that's all I have to do to keep these off of my car. Move to the moon. I'm so there.
Imagine how much faster it would be there with less gravi....oh sorry
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi View Post

John
Any legit detailer can permanently remove those swirl marks.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
BlueMarlin
phi alpha

Drives: 2005 GMC Envoy
our usual go to dealer (koons in tysons corner,va) has an aftermarket clear coating they can apply to the car before it gets washed or polished or anything that usually really helps with this kind of stuff. my black envoy looks great (no swirls) as does our green yukon xl.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Some may disagree with me, but just about every new car has swirl marks. (The exception may be high-end makes, ie; Ferrari, etc.)

I've walked the lots in daytime and night, for the domestics, foreign, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc., and have not found one car without them.

But as others have stated, a good detailer can take care of them.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
I agreed with Moose, they all have swirls and it's not always from a detailer. It's from improper washing ( dealer, owner and using a car wash ) and also from using the wrong drying technique. A good Detailer should be able to removed those nasty swirls with a PC7424, Flex DA or with a Rotary with the right polishes.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
ToddSS
ZZ Motorsports Sales Rep

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS
Black vehicles become a love-hate relationship.
ToddSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
One word:

ZAINO!

(www.zainostore.com)

Claybar the car and then add Zaino finish....you can actually build coats of it.....

I've never seen any other polish or wax that brings out the depth of color (metallics) or makes a Black car look this good.......
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
My dealer didn't have a chance to put swirl marks in. I told them to just wash it.When I picked it up,I inspected the paint,took the car home and washed and waxed it,examining it closely for any paint imperfections.Also when the dealer waxes the car,they tend to get wax on the black plastic exterior parts which is just about impossible to remove.

I second the motion,use ZAINO!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote