Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 AM   #309
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
I know nothing about car engineering, so this maybe a dumb question but: is it that hard to engineer a 550hp Z28 (or whatever the name) camaro?

I mean, isn't just all about putting a corvette engine into the hood, putting stronger brakes, bigger wheels and tires and let's go???

Is it such a big deal? I mean, steal all the needed comonents on the corvette productino line, this won't cost a lot, this will make the car available fast and even if it's a commercial failure, then, it wouldn't be that costy to GM.

Am I completely out of my mind?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 AM   #310
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
you're stuck with my ugly mug.

Yes, I guess we are...... scary, isn't it?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #311
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
I know nothing about car engineering, so this maybe a dumb question but: is it that hard to engineer a 550hp Z28 (or whatever the name) camaro?

I mean, isn't just all about putting a corvette engine into the hood, putting stronger brakes, bigger wheels and tires and let's go???

Is it such a big deal? I mean, steal all the needed comonents on the corvette productino line, this won't cost a lot, this will make the car available fast and even if it's a commercial failure, then, it wouldn't be that costy to GM.

Am I completely out of my mind?
Hate to say it it's a little more then that. even if you stole the parts there's no guarantee they are up to snuff to handle stopping a 3900 lb car like a 3200 lbs car. camaro will need bigger breaks and stiffer suspension/chassis to cope with that type of power. it's not that easy. believe me I wish it was but it's not.

most people forget about the chassis and suspension or even the rest of the drivetrain when it comes to adding more power. for example look at the 4th gens. if you add about 100 more horses you'll bend the frame easily, rip apart the dash and blow up the rear end.

Being someone who's looked into adding power to a 4th gen and wanting to do it right. one of my first mods was subframe connectors (adds weight) to stiffen up the chassis. and after I did my exhaust and intake manifold next was going to be suspension and K-member upgrade. for one to make sure every pony got to the ground and I had a car afterwards.

I really wish it was as easy as what you stated. but it's not. :( but all I can say is keep the faith and have a feeling you won't be disappointed when GM gives you a GT500 killer, weather it's a Z28 or something else.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #312
camaro747

Drives: 2001 Camaro Z28
Talking My take on the Z28...

Although I never post, I've been frequenting this site for years. Since about the time I bought my 1st camaro in 2004. I love to read all the post from people who share the same love for this vehicle that I do. Recently its been hard to navigate the 5th gen forum because of the recent announcement of the Z28. I was slightly disappointed to hear that there would not be a Z28 also. I always had planned to replace my current Z28 with another Z28. But guys all this crying has to stop. Before the flame wars start, I do understand the importance of the Z28. I own a Z28 currently. But people are actin as if the Camaro isn't coming. When Chevrolet set out to remake the Camaro, they wanted to make a successful car that also pleased enthusiasts of the brand name. With today's economy, there is no room for a Z28 model. The SS only gets 23mpg highway, imagine what a Z28 would get. (I expect about 25 - 28 for the SS. Don't trust everything the EPA makes car companies say). Also, a Z28 doesn't make good business sense. Why would the average joe buy a Z28 when he could buy a Corvett for the same price or a little more with better gas mileage. The name of the game nowadays in MPG. Enthusiasts will be what they like regardless of how far they can drive on a gallon of gas. But for this car to be successful, u have to attract more than just Camaro fans. And the SS is by no means underpowered. With a few mods this car could easily top 600 horses. Who drives their car stock anymore anyway? Everyone on this forum who complains about the Z28 not being made acts as if they are unable to modify their car. To wrap this up, for EVERYONE who is disappointed that there is no Z28, DON'T BUY THE CAR!!!! Chevrolet is not forcing anyone to buy this car. For all you guys who can't seem to live without Z28, you can: a. Buy an SS and be happy. (its still a beautiful car, admit it).
b. Buy a different car. Dodge has the Challenger. ( a car that still to me doesn't look like they finished designing it. Check a side view.) And Ford has the Mustang. (if u would would buy a mustang because of the Z28 not being made you are seriously derranged and should seek professional help immediately)
or c: WAIT!!!! ( the ZR1 didn't come out the same year as the remodeled vette. After all the happy people like me buy up the SS models, the Camaro will again be successful and the may make a Z28)
I hope this post wasn't too boring. sorry if it was. And please excuse any typos. Im typing this post and any replies to this post on my phone.
camaro747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #313
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I'm not flaming you but read the threads about the Z28. it's not been confirmed or denied for production. it's been known that it wasn't going to be available if at all at the start of regular production. with that being said read "the Z28" thread. you'll see comments from Fbodfather that state it's not dead and that GM does not talk about future product plans. so these types of negative post are killing me.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #314
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Lets make this the only Z28 thread. please.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #315
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
I've been thinking about this...

Ford HAD the GT... Dodge HAD the Viper, both great world class vehicles. Now Chevy still has a high performance vehicle, the Corvette. Now I know we heard that Chevy wasn't worried about the Camaro out-powering the Corvette, but seriously... if we got a $40k+ 500+ HP uber Camaro that would eat into Corvette sales. With an underrated powerplant in the SS it's not an issue, but for most people who goto a Chevy lot looking for power who see 550 hp AND a back seat for 42k and 430 hp w/ no backseat for the same price, they're going with the Camaro With the Corvette being a consisent sales performer throughout it's history I seriously doubt that Chevy is willing to introduce competition to it where there otherwise is none. Ford needs a HI-PO vehicle, Dodge needs a HI-PO vehicle, Chevy already has one that in most cases outperforms theirs for the same price (lower if you count markups). NOOOOw, I do believe there should be a Z/28 (yeah, writtn like that), but it should be a limited edition in the same vein of a GTR-Z or DB9 R that gets pretty much equivalent power as the SS, but strips the hell out of it to provide better handling and weight/power ratio. But the 500+ hp super car we were expecting, it doesn't make sense in the big picture, and in the mean time those that really really want to can strip the SS all they want and have their own homemade Z/28.

I could definitely be wrong on all of the above, but that's just the way I see it.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #316
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
A few of you have either not been reading all the Z28 threads or just didn't get them.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #317
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
let not your heart be troubled ...when the time is right the z28 will be back...

uh duh!!

besides you can't come out with everything the first year...i expect it to come out in 2.5 to 3 years and announced a year and a half from now...

and in like 5-7 years after the camaro broke records in sales...they will work on making a firebird trans am version
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #318
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
A few of you have either not been reading all the Z28 threads or just didn't get them.
Not sure who this statement was directed to but I've read them all and understood them all. Independant of what the actual (unkown to us)situation is, that was my 2 cents. I know Scott said the Z/28 is still on track, but I don't think it's coming in the 500+ hp form most of us suspect, and if it is that isn't the way I'd do it if the decision were up to me. Give the enthusiast/road racers what they want w/o impedin too deep into Vette territory. From what I read on the net there are cross section of people who would be happier w/ just a driver's seat, a steering wheel and SS power as long as the weight is cut by about 15-300 pounds Replace the back seats with a carpeted panel, replace the fronts w/ light weight racing seats and get rid of some safety devices and call it a niche vehicle like the Vette. Sell it for the same as an SS and the lowered production costs add to GM's pot and the racers are happy. Don't know how feasible that plan is, but if it's possible then it seems like a good route to go for me.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #319
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
just lock the Z/28 threads and make a Sticky

THE Z28 HAS NEITHER BEEN CONFIRMED NOR DENIED.

copy in the Article that quoted Cheryl and Scott's response.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #320
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up agreed on every word you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
All I'm saying is that words could have been chosen carefully. I am not laying claim to knowing anything personally.

No one has whispered anything into my ear and said they WILL do this or the WILL do that. Sit back and think about this for a second. All the architecture will already be there...All the underpinnings...etc. The engine will need to be upgraded. CHECK. Testing will need to be done. I'd be surprised if GM hasn't done testing on the Z28 yet.

GM WILL sell all Z28's made. I'm sure of that. It would be a bad business move IMO if they didn't come out with it yet. Maybe they want to get it right and need more time on it??? Right???

You guys can get upset if you want.

You guys can continue to listen to Scotts words and "have faith."

I, for one, will be waiting for the info to be revealed from GM about the Z28. I know...some might say, "Dude....they just told you about the Z28." No (IMO)....they didn't.
+10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #321
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Not sure who this statement was directed to but I've read them all and understood them all. Independant of what the actual (unkown to us)situation is, that was my 2 cents. I know Scott said the Z/28 is still on track, but I don't think it's coming in the 500+ hp form most of us suspect, and if it is that isn't the way I'd do it if the decision were up to me. Give the enthusiast/road racers what they want w/o impedin too deep into Vette territory. From what I read on the net there are cross section of people who would be happier w/ just a driver's seat, a steering wheel and SS power as long as the weight is cut by about 15-300 pounds Replace the back seats with a carpeted panel, replace the fronts w/ light weight racing seats and get rid of some safety devices and call it a niche vehicle like the Vette. Sell it for the same as an SS and the lowered production costs add to GM's pot and the racers are happy. Don't know how feasible that plan is, but if it's possible then it seems like a good route to go for me.
I'm with you on the no 500+hp but at the same time people are crying for it. so either way they do it more then likely the next special addition camaro from GM will be the Z28. weather it's hihp or not.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #322
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro747 View Post
Recently its been hard to navigate the 5th gen forum because of the recent announcement of the Z28.
Trying to fix that, so threads merged.