Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermile View Post
Yup, the tranny was tuned but I still didn't like the way it was shifting. It was a bit to agressive. It was great on the track but not for local driving. Right now the tune I'm using is the bone stock shifting points with the AFM delete.
Sounds like you need to take it back again... Each Gear in both D and M upshift and downshift can be adjusted. You should have zero lag and still drive smooth around town.

Before I was tuned I could feel and even more so "hear" the lag. It's totally gone now and I barely feel the shifts... In fact my downshifts are probably more firm than upshifts.

Sometimes the tranny work takes some adjusting if your tuner hasn't done a bunch of them. Normally they nail down a good tune and copy/paste it to the next one.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermile View Post
I have a tuned 2011 SS and have yet to find a good tuner to resolve the lag. I absolutely HATE local driving or driving in traffic. I have to constantly slowly roll into the throttle to allow the tranny to play catch-up.

Last night I was coming up to a red light, before coming to a complete stop the light turned green so I hit the throttle too fast. When it caught the gear It felt like someone slammed into me.
Good Lord...I don't get thrown around like a pinball, but damn lol.

It does happen at the same times for me as well. Usually it is between 10-30 mph when slowing or babying the throttle. It is odd because it feels like the car wants to GO and is being held down.... buuuuuuuuut it also feels alot like my truck did when the transmission went to apple sauce. So I freaked at first thinking my biffel was having issues, did some research and noticed it is common among the A6 and users on this forum. I am shocked your tune didn't resolve the issue however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Before I was tuned I could feel and even more so "hear" the lag.
EXACTLY
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's the AFM...

In a normal, auto car there's always that split second delay between the time you hit the gas and the time the powers arrives, because most auto cars go striaght to their highest gear under a light load and need to downshift when you get on the gas.

The AFM just adds one more step to the process of power delivery. In the L99, you have to wait not only for the downshift, but for the AFM to deactivate as well. Thus, lag.

I'd say tune out the AFM, or try driving around in "M" mode This will at least allow you to control your gearing, and eliminate the downshift lag...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Not sure how TC would be involved at slower speeds.. plus I've had mine off (as far off as it gets anyway) and did not notice any change in behavior of the transmission.
I haven't presonally driven an L99, but that was my understanding. I'm probably wrong though.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I have the same problem when going easy on the throttle as others have said. But, I do not remember if it acts the same way in M as it does it D. I'll try that out later tonight to see what happens!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I have the same problem when going easy on the throttle as others have said. But, I do not remember if it acts the same way in M as it does it D. I'll try that out later tonight to see what happens!
"it seems" that it is not nearly as bad in M if you run in sport mode WITHOUT the paddle shifters.. Like Revo said, if you ARE using the shifters you should be able to avoid it almost completely.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Same in either M or D...
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
"it seems" that it is not nearly as bad in M if you run in sport mode WITHOUT the paddle shifters.. Like Revo said, if you ARE using the shifters you should be able to avoid it almost completely.
Agreed, it is better in "S" mode but not completely gone.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Can a tune be made specifically for "M" mode thus leaving "D" mode the way it came from the factory?
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #24
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Can a tune be made specifically for "M" mode thus leaving "D" mode the way it came from the factory?
i got the tranny tune and haven't bothered with the paddles since.
i just can't believe the difference in the smooth operation after the tune.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
thats what i was thinking. i don't have a auto thats why i didn't say anything. but with a tune shouldn't that car drive smoother ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #26
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
+1 .... 1st thing for me was a hypertec. that stop most of my problems. it made the car fun to drive. when i put on the maggie and had a custom tune it turned into a different car.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #27
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Yes it can and that's the way I have mine. When my wife is in the car with me I keep it in D and feather the gas. When I'm by myself I use the tap shift and let those 650 horses roll. I have no lag that I can notice. Maybe from a dead stop and flooring the accelerator while in D it may take a fraction of a second before it blows the tires off which I don't hardly ever do. The ported throttle body is well worth the $$. PM me if you have questions.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #28
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro54 View Post
Yes it can and that's the way I have mine. When my wife is in the car with me I keep it in D and feather the gas. When I'm by myself I use the tap shift and let those 650 horses roll. I have no lag that I can notice. Maybe from a dead stop and flooring the accelerator while in D it may take a fraction of a second before it blows the tires off which I don't hardly ever do. The ported throttle body is well worth the $$. PM me if you have questions.

So, then, for instance, it would be possible to preserve AFM in D and lose it in M? Soft shifts in D hard shifts in M?

This would be ideal for a daily driver thats also fun every time the chance comes around
MG is offline   Reply With Quote