Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Dkiter

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra
Ohnest opinions about the interior

I have been following the camaro since it was first out in concept. I have been more excited about this car than any car that has ever come out. Yesterday i got to go sit in the car for the first time at the auto show here in houston. the only reason i even went to the show this year was to look at that one car. While i was there i got in pretty much every sports car and coupe i walked past. the camaro by far had the worst interior of any car at the entire auto show. and i was not the only person to think that. every person i talked to around the car and overheard talking in about the car had only one thing to say about the interior and that was how aweful it is. I understand that it is supposed to look "retro" or something like that but it isn't supposed to be just terrible. many of chevy's cars have nice interiors. hell even the saturns have crazy interiors in them. Pontiac has really cool interiors. when you climb into those cars you can seriously say man this is a great seating position and the dash looks great very well laid out. but you get in the camaro and it is just the biggest turn off ever. I don't care what kind of a "good deal" you get with the bang for the buck on this car. i would rather spend a couple thousand more and get into something that makes me say wow and not say, well at least it is fast as hell. They have one of the best looking cars comming out with probably the most anticipation and i think they screwed it up. I feel the interior is part of the overall driving experience and it is not all about how the car looks on the outside, it has to feel good too. please let me know what you guys think. there is no way i am the only person on this entire forum that completely hates the interior of one of the badest cars to come out in a long time.
Dkiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
It's.....okay. I can live with it especially with the ABL, but I am not a fan by any means. They went retro with it, and I am not a fan of it. Everybody on this website knows I hate the interior, but there is nothing I can do about it. All I can do is drive at night so I don't see the ugly styling. Leaving only the ABL to look at. All in all, the rest of the car outweighs the ugly dash. I hate it with a passion, but I still want this car really, really, really, extremely bad.

EDIT: If you can't tell ABL makes or breaks this car for me. Extremely important. Otherwise I'm getting the SS Stripped down to nothing, and it will be nothing more than a race car and a weekend driver. But for that to happen, I will have to wait until I am financially stable enough to buy a new car, pay it off, and then buy the camaro. HUUUUUUUGE Delay. Several years at least.:(

In terms of comfortability, I found the car extremely adequate. Everything was right there within reach, the steering wheel had a ton of adjustments to it to make it more comfortable. The radio was alright, and HVAC controls didn't feel bad. At least to me.
So it gets a good vote there, but I will be modifying my interior as much as possible. Something has got to give!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
bruins004
Banned

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkiter View Post
I have been following the camaro since it was first out in concept. I have been more excited about this car than any car that has ever come out. Yesterday i got to go sit in the car for the first time at the auto show here in houston. the only reason i even went to the show this year was to look at that one car. While i was there i got in pretty much every sports car and coupe i walked past. the camaro by far had the worst interior of any car at the entire auto show. and i was not the only person to think that. every person i talked to around the car and overheard talking in about the car had only one thing to say about the interior and that was how aweful it is. I understand that it is supposed to look "retro" or something like that but it isn't supposed to be just terrible. many of chevy's cars have nice interiors. hell even the saturns have crazy interiors in them. Pontiac has really cool interiors. when you climb into those cars you can seriously say man this is a great seating position and the dash looks great very well laid out. but you get in the camaro and it is just the biggest turn off ever. I don't care what kind of a "good deal" you get with the bang for the buck on this car. i would rather spend a couple thousand more and get into something that makes me say wow and not say, well at least it is fast as hell. They have one of the best looking cars comming out with probably the most anticipation and i think they screwed it up. I feel the interior is part of the overall driving experience and it is not all about how the car looks on the outside, it has to feel good too. please let me know what you guys think. there is no way i am the only person on this entire forum that completely hates the interior of one of the badest cars to come out in a long time.

It is possible that not everything was production intent on the one you sat in.
I know I have heard that not all of them have the production intent materials in them.
bruins004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins004 View Post
I know I have heard that not all of them have the production intent materials in them.
That is also possible, but probably unlikely. If it wasn't a production intent car and people were allowed to sit in it then they should see these very soon
Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
2010 SS
Elderly Man

Drives: Your Local Bus
"ohnest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
It's.....okay. I can live with it especially with the ABL, but I am not a fan by any means. They went retro with it, and I am not a fan of it.
werd.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Instrument cluster and dash is nowhere near as nice as the exterior but what are you gonna do?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Not likely. The Silver LS at the Houston Auto Show is supposed to be production intent and is open for people to get in. I know I sat in it 5-6 times over the course of an hour and a half.

The materials don't change the layout/look of the interior much. The design is going to be the same whether it's got production pieces or pre-production pieces.

IMO, yes, the interior isn't great. I sat in numerous other cars at that show. I even sat in the black 2009 Mustang they had on display. The Camaro's interior is certainly not it's strong point. It's simplistic, not modern/futuristic like most new car interiors today. I can live with it though. My friends won't get in and go "WOW! This looks great!" but that doesn't matter much to me as I'm not out to impress them. As long as it's functional and holds up over time, I'm good.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
I have to agree. I dont think its "terrible" but I do feel it leaves alot to be desired. IMO, the Challenger has a much nicer interior. I love the layout of the dash and the interior looks and feels awesome. The Camaro's dash is (and by dash I mean the entire dash, not just the speedo & tach) ackward to me. It just doesnt flow. It looks like a cross between retro and futuristic. The headrests are the thing that gets me the most though. Again, I just think they're ackward. I havent gotten to sit in one yet so I'm hoping its comfortable enough to help me see past it. lol.

I really feel this car has so much potential. The outside looks mean and I love it. But I think they missed the boat when it came to the interior. Yes, I'm still gonna buy it (ordered it in Nov) but the only reason is the exterior and the LS powerplant. (mine wont be stock for long!)

my .02
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Unfortunately that reinforces what I've been thinking from seeing the interior pictures. I'm disappointed, but like most others, I will live with it.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

The ONLY....ONLY car around now with a full-on PRODUCTION interior in it is the car that was at NAIAS. All the rest are production-intent. Meaning you weren't supposed to sit in them, afaik.

But the design and layout is...final. I for one love it. I hate cookie-cutter interiors.(like the Challenger)
The reason they kept this general layout was because the concept car got such great comments about the interior. Perhaps if production-reviews are negative enough, they'll change it up in the near future.

Also...some people need to realize this thing isn't a Cadillac...just because it looks phenomenal on the outside, don't expect leather everything when you open the door....
Old 01-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Okay... I guess I'll be the first to say it in this thread.

I LOVE THE CAMARO'S INTERIOR!

I can definitely see how people could feel differently though. The Camaro's interior is unlike anything else on the market and besides the fact that it's aesteticly pleasing to me, that is the main reason why I like it so much. Most people aren't as comfortable with change I guess, but I don't won't the everyday double-DIN, huge Nav screen sweeping arches interior that everyother car seems to have nowadays. The interior on the car is decidedly CAMARO and CAMARO only. It doesn't strike me as retro either; I recognize the retro cues but the Camro's interior mirrors exteriors in that it is a practice in creative minimalism and moderation.

I think some of you guys that hate the interior will need some time to warm up to it because it's design is so off the beaten path. I've sat in the Mustang and although the interior is nice... that's all it is. It's not exciting, not inspiring, not unique... but it is very boring in that euro-classy sort of way (if you're into that more power to you). I on the other hand am ready to sit in the spartan and stylish Camaro interior and enjoy every last one of my 400 ponies.

PS
Every review of the Camaro has celebrated the interior's design and layout, but criticized the (pre-po) materials. My thinking is if the materials are on par with the Mustang's which they love so much the Camaro's will get thumbs up all around from the automotive press.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I, honestly, haven't sat in one nor been fortunate enough to have actually go to a show near me to see one, however, I agree with the statement there are elements that are awkward, and exaclty those that you noted too. However, I like they don't look like something else out there. I like the 'Stang interior too, however, it's too bland, and I'd rather have awkward and original/unique than bland and done-before. I will easily be able to look past these minor things as long as the fit-and-finish, tight gaps, and good quality materials are there too. The lighting is something big for me too, but not a deal breaker by any means.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and no one can make everyone happy about everything. I think this car will make up for something like this with many other awesome aspects elsewhere.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Just goes to prove ...taste is in everybody's mouth.!
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
i think it should be made out of sheep skin and shark skin

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote