Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
RevXtreme1

Drives: 2010 RPE600 Camaro - 608rwhp
What Oil Catch Can are you running?

Who's Oil catch can are you running and how well is it working?
Thanks
RevXtreme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
I'm running one I picked up at a local speed parts store. I picked it up with fittings and hose for $50, made my own bracket with some spare aluminum I had laying around, and threw it on. It does it's job and catches oil, and looks good being polished aluminum, and the price was right. Has a ball valve for draining, and a 20oz capacity. Came as a cooling system can with one fitting on the top so drilled and tapped another hole for a second fitting and good to go. No filter media or anything but works fine without it.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
What is the purpose of this catch can? I've never had one and Im not sure if they are necessary.
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
BUMBLEB
IN GOD WE THRUST

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS RS M6 TVS2300 2015 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller66 View Post
What is the purpose of this catch can? I've never had one and Im not sure if they are necessary.
The oil catch can is recommended on any engine,stock,Super charged,Turbo

Every engine during the normal combustion process, has blow-by. Engine Blow-by is excess combustion gases that leak by the piston rings and escape into the engine crankcase. During each compression or power stroke of a normal engine cycle, a very small amount of gases leak by the piston rings. This happens because the piston rings do not create a perfect seal. This Blow-by of gases is very small, but the higher the RPM and the more pistons, the more the blow-by starts to create pressure in the crank.

This pressure needs to be released, and is done so by crank case vents. Because manufactures have to keep environmental issues in mind, these gases can’t just be vented to atmosphere. So the OEM’s vent these gases back to the intake system to be re-burned. This all sounds good, but Blow by is nasty stuff!

Engine blow-by contains gases and oil from the crankcase. The gases aren’t really a problem, but the oil is. This oily mess coats everything in its path as it makes it way back to the combustion chamber. This nasty oil mess gets into the turbo,Supercharger, then boost tubes,then intercooler, into the intake manifold, and finally back into the engine. As the oil creeps in between couplers and boost tubes, it can cause the connection pop off under boost. This oil then gets into the intercooler, coating all the cooling fins. This greatly effects the ability of the intercooler to cool, and the efficiency of it will drop! This will cause a huge loss in power and can cause detonation. The last place this oily mess sees before the combustion chamber is the intake valves. Because of the temp differences and the oil impacting them, the oil will start to build up and form sludge. This adds up over time, and can cause many other problems, and hurt performance.

From this you can see, blow-by is bad, and it needs to be dealt with.

How Does the Oil Catch can work?
The oily mess goes from the crank case to the intake system, and generally through a rubber hose. An oil catch can simply intersects the hose and the oily mess before it reaches the intake system. The top of our Oil Catch Can has 2 fittings, one in and one out. The oily mess that goes in the can gets trapped because of either the media inside the can, or from the change in direction, or from a change in temp. This separated the good from the bad, and collects the bad.

As the fluid fills the can, the end user can use the sight tube on the side of the can to determine when to drain it or dump it.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
Do a search for "catch" in titles only and you should find many threads with some good reading.
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
I am hearing complaints about the RevExtreme catch can valve making a ratteling noise that for some is a problem. Does anyone know of a quality catch can that does not make a ratteling noise?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
i have the rev, and it does'nt rattle
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
I have the elite engineering catch can and it works great!!
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
I've been using the Revxtreme since my supercharger was installed. I was pretty much sold on doing this after seeing how much oil was inside my stock intake.

crazy amounts of oil with only 300 miles on the engine was ridiculous. every high performance engine should have some sort of oil catch can system from the factory.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
I just installed the RevExtreme, but was a little disappointed that I had to drill out the hole for the tensioner mount bolt to fit through the mounting bracket (did they do a test install before shipping this design?). I also added my own lock washers for the mounting bolts.

It does look great and is really easy to install (just have a 7/16 drill bit handy).

Don O
Attached Images

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
I am using a RevXtreme... but the bracket I received looks nothing like what the post above looks like. Mine ended up mounting like this.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
2SSmeCamaro
Delete this account

Drives: Delete this account
I dont know much about this either....how important is it on a bone STOCK engine? and if it is that important why doesn't it come stock?
2SSmeCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
I am using a RevXtreme... but the bracket I received looks nothing like what the post above looks like. Mine ended up mounting like this.

Thats the Corvette/4th gen mount...email them & they will ship out the right one Monday. Gotta check on the bolt hole size! I'll follow up.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote