Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Clutch Problem

Since day 1 of having my Camaro I have had clutch problems. I don't drive the car very much so I hadn't noticed it until owning the car for a few weeks. What I noticed happening is that when the clutch is disengaged but still has about an 1/2 for the lever to come back up all the way, it sometimes stops. Not too big of a day but it is annoying, it does stop cruise control from working because of the sensor, and I just paid $40,000 for this car and this should work as supposed to.

I have dropped it off at the dealer a few times and they have already replaced the master and slave cylinder along with the clutch plate. The dealer can't figure it out and I have a case open with GM who also can't figure it out. After the plate was replaced, the clutch now feels worse. It now still stop right when the clutch is disengaged which is about an 1 or 2 from the floor. It kind of feels normal after using it a bit but not always. It's just random when it is feeling normal. And what I mean by that is it feels like if there is air in the lines or something to that affect.

I now had the car in the shop again to try again on the master cylinder and for a regional rep from GM to come out and take a look also.

The tranny guy at the dealer mentioned that there is someone at the dealer who has a Vette who has a problem kind of like there. Where in the morning his clutch has basically no push back and is on the floor until he stomps it. He also has replaced all the parts to the clutch and same issue. His issue does sound slightly different then mine as mine doesn't fix it's self when stomping on the clutch.

Maybe it is just a bad design master cylinder or there could be something else. What I am told from them is that Vette do have clutch problems which is a design flaw that they aren't sure but they are sure GM knows about it. However, it is what it is.

So I am wondering if anyone else has had clutch problem.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
phenixdragon

I have and what do you think I am doing? That is the reason for this post.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
You must not be searching enough because a large portion of the members on this website have discussed that topic in detail. you described a popular issue.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I have had the same problem too. I decided to replace the clutch myself with a ram twin disk which includes new slave, pressure plate and bearing.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Score another one for the L99!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
l99s have no room to talk... they turn into a 4 banger
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Amanda
Givin em hell since 87'

Drives: 2011 SW 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorepheus View Post
SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH
Hmm if no one posted anything that was already previously posted there would be no more posts in this darn forum!!! I for one own a ss m6 and find this topic interesting... but hey ive never thought about it thus never searched it! So if someone wants to be kind enough to answer the question or provide a link more power to them.... I think what really gets redundant is the whiney butts who are telling everyone to search previous threads! If you dont wanna read it, dont open it. (I learned that lesson from a previous thread I started- but I guess youd have to search to find that )
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
My camaro is my only car and I drive it on a daily basis. And I haven't had a single problem with the clutch. The only problem I have had with the clutch is some stalling since it is my first manual but I worked that out. As for ur problem, that has never happened to me but it seems that GM may end up having to replace ur car.
AMPM1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Amanda
Givin em hell since 87'

Drives: 2011 SW 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
The autos are for grandmas and pansies. Hey maybe my car leaves a trail of burnt clutch smell wherever I go but I bet I have a hell of alot more fun driving than you do! So instead of paintin makeup on my face when im driving im painting the road in rubber. jk jk im not hating, just makin funnies.
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
phenixdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
You must not be searching enough because a large portion of the members on this website have discussed that topic in detail. you described a popular issue.
Why be a prick? I have searched, seen issues about clutches, some sound somewhat familiar, some don't. Most of the threads are months old that never have a resolution.

And the bottom line, who cares? It's a forum right? It is good for people to bring up what could be old topics. Gives new perspectives. Otherwise it's like telling a kid in HS school to just read everything instead of teaching. So how about you not be a prick and instead become a productive person?

And if everyone else knew about this why do most people not know? Why does GM say that I have case and never heard of this issue before? Why are they sending out a regional rep out to help investigate this issue? Hm...I guess you never though of all of this which is why you are a prick.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The issue is the same one experianced by the C5 & C6 vettes for years. The real issue is several design flaws not corrected properly since 1997. First the line from the master to the slave runs to close to the exhaust, and adding headers makes it even more of an issue since the heat causes the fluid to breakdown & and develop sludge, which reduces the ability of the fluid to move back and forth through the system.

Second, the resivoir on the master is to small for agressive driving allowing the fluid to break down to quickly (you can do frequent changes like the road course guys do and avoid the issue).

The cars driven "normally" (read: slow shifts) rarely encounter this issue, but quick & frequent fast shifts and clutch action are where it rears it's ugly head.

There have been several fixes through the years, the "drill" mod, different fluids, etc., but the only real solution is a remote large capacity resivoir and a way to move, or circulate the fluid through it so there is always a fresh, cool, clean supply of fluid to the system.

Not very practical for the everyday average driver, but a great mod for the agressive driver or road racer.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Not very practical for the everyday average driver, but a great mod for the agressive driver or road racer.
Why do you say it's not practical for the everyday driver? Is there too much pushback or too abrupt of a grab? What's the cost of this mod? I'm curious because it seems like an easy fix for such a widespread problem (minus a new pressure plate/clutch if needed).
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Its A practical mod for the everyday driving, I have 37K miles on the car the last 17K with ARH 1 7/8" and did this before most did,
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085

Its like and thing that needs maintain i do this once a month.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote