Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #323
WadeWilson
How U Doin?
 
WadeWilson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
AAC has 2 types of afterburner taillights: SMD and CCFL.

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/afterburner.aspx

Which do you recommend?
I went with the CCFL and when I ordered Jessica of AAC said that the CCFL seemed to be their most popular.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #324
jrpxxii


 
jrpxxii's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Posts: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post
Nick,

Did you install your Afterburner tail lights your self? If so, was the install easy?
There are several ways to go about installing these and it really is not difficult at all. I did mine myself and there really isnt much to it. You can put the housings in the oven and try to pry them apart after some low heat or you can go the route I went and take a dremel with a small cutting pad and cut at the seam for a very easy and clean cut and them epoxy them back together after installing light strips which are just adhesived to housing and connect your wires.
__________________
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #325
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,153
jrpxxii did you get CCFL or SMD?

I pm'd aac to ask if they install. I might just send them my taillights this week if they'll do it. It's in the shop for work anyway. If AAC and turn them around in less than 2 weeks, I might do that.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #326
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
jrpxxii did you get CCFL or SMD?

I pm'd aac to ask if they install. I might just send them my taillights this week if they'll do it. It's in the shop for work anyway. If AAC and turn them around in less than 2 weeks, I might do that.
If you send them the taillight housings the turnaround is usually 2-3 days. Install fee is 179. They are out of office until 3/29. Am waiting for the ones they are doing for the SST.

SMD= Very Bright, Definitive Light.
CCFL= Soft Glow, Ambient Light.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #327
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
If you send them the taillight housings the turnaround is usually 2-3 days. Install fee is 179. They are out of office until 3/29. Am waiting for the ones they are doing for the SST.

speedster, did you get the CCFL or SMD?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #328
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
speedster, did you get the CCFL or SMD?
I let them pick and they said the SMD fit the SST "personality"...

Here is a link to a pick showing the difference:
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/afterburner.aspx
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #329
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
I also went with SMD. SMDs are made with LEDs. CCFLs are similar to fluorescent lighting. CCFLs require ballasts and don't last as long as LEDs. SMDs are also brighter, but aren't as smooth and individual lights can be seen up close. They're both good technologies...just get there different ways. You can get CCFL halos and tail lights, but the sidemarkers are only LED. I also have Showstopper mirrors and wanted everything to look the same. That made my decision easier.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #330
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 
Darth_Emma's Avatar
 
Drives: under contruction
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
I let them pick and they said the SMD fit the SST "personality"...

Here is a link to a pick showing the difference:
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/afterburner.aspx
Thanks, speedster. I saw that pic, but it's so hard to judge brightness from a picture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I also went with SMD. SMDs are made with LEDs. CCFLs are similar to fluorescent lighting. CCFLs require ballasts and don't last as long as LEDs. SMDs are also brighter, but aren't as smooth and individual lights can be seen up close. They're both good technologies...just get there different ways. You can get CCFL halos and tail lights, but the sidemarkers are only LED. I also have Showstopper mirrors and wanted everything to look the same. That made my decision easier.
That is the info I need. I will go with the SMDs for sure.

I have tinted taillights, so I think the brighter SMDs are the best choice for me.

Thanks to all of you. I pm'd AAC to get quote on doing them for me.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #331
fmster
 
Drives: cc
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: san diego
Posts: 20
Awesome car, what did rpmm install or do on your car? Aren't u up in the bay area? San Diego sounds like a major drive.

Looking at getting whipple for my car and they're close by. Interested in other engine work like stroke and bore as well.
fmster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #332
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,823
Almost that time brotha!
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #333
WadeWilson
How U Doin?
 
WadeWilson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmster View Post
Awesome car, what did rpmm install or do on your car? Aren't u up in the bay area? San Diego sounds like a major drive.

Looking at getting whipple for my car and they're close by. Interested in other engine work like stroke and bore as well.
Thanks!!

Greg & Wes from RPMM installed my Whipple, suspension pieces, cam and new valvesprings. It was a long haul, but it was worth it. Greg is a really good dude and reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Almost that time brotha!
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #334
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
Hey bro. It was great finally meeting you. Next time you'll have to man up and run me down the 1/4 mile!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #335
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you
 
bossbunny's Avatar
 
Drives: The Sassiest V6 in the South!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cut 'N Shoot Texas
Posts: 24,456
NICKKKKKKKKKK!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!! Dude I was just as sick as you come Sunday... I wanted to DIE!! Sucked we didn't get to hang out again. Next year they need to have it somewhere cool so we don't all keel over and die.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #336
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com
 
Dangeruss's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LSX
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
NICKKKKKKKKKK!!! YOU'RE ALIVE!!! Dude I was just as sick as you come Sunday... I wanted to DIE!! Sucked we didn't get to hang out again. Next year they need to have it somewhere cool so we don't all keel over and die.
No doubt. I got sick as well and missed the entire party Saturday night!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.