Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
meltyface

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM LS3 w/ blk rally
Perfect track day today.

I just had an awsome day playing with my car today. It started off by going to a sherrif's training facility and running a couple hours track time on a road course they had there. The course was 8/10 mile with hair pins, s-curves...and everything else you could want. Running a pretty much stock car, and I was only about 6-8 secs behind a few tuned up vettes. I loved it though because it gave me a real good feel for what this thing can really do. I highly reccomend to everyone to find a closed street course and run it, it's worth it!

2nd part of the day was a few hours at the drag strip. I found out that the Launch control is worthless, and without it the car handles much better. My damn take off really sucks, because I was trying to keep the traction control on (next time out there I'm turning all that crap off). But, with only a cold air box added to my car, I got my best time to 13.21 for the 1/4 (should have been faster but I was running a bracket race and had to lay off at the end).

Just had to share my day because it was GREAT, and has made me 1000% dedicated to upgrading my car.
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
meltyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
That's awesome, good to hear. 13.21 is still a respectable time. Did you turn the TC and SC off at the closed course?

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
meltyface

On the closed course I put it in competitive mode. Since I'm running 21" rims with Pirellis I didn't want to eat to much of my street tires down from sliding through turns.
Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ high flow cats, Borla x-pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, markers, tail and reverse lights plus parking light blackouts, body colored bowties, body colored SS emblems, Passport 9500 radar detector (a must have), Kenwood DNX9960 radio w/ metra kit. Matte Black Giovanna Dalar 5V: 20x8.5 & 20x10 wheels

Mods in the future:
Relocating guts of "shark fin" and removing it, cam, super charge/turbo?...unsure what after that...

Gotta have MORE power!!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
sounds fun!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Where was the road course at and are they going to do it again? I've got a friend that wants me to take the car out to Mineral Wells in the middle of this month to do some time trial stuff. I've never done road courses before. I was hoping to find something a little closer but I may not be lucky enough.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
meltyface

Well at the moment I'm stationed at OU, so this course was out here near Oklahoma City. Lol I think Mineral Wells will be a little closer, but it'll be worth the drive, that was definetly the most fun I've ever had in a car. To bad my brakes wouldn't last more than 2-3 trips around the track at a time though.

Mods in the future:

Gotta have MORE power!!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltyface View Post
To bad my brakes wouldn't last more than 2-3 trips around the track at a time though.
Did the brakes fail due to heat or did you need new pads?

The guy that want's me to go said I would eat up brakes and tires. I know it will be fun but not looking forward to cutting the life of either of those.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Did the brakes fail due to heat or did you need new pads?

The guy that want's me to go said I would eat up brakes and tires. I know it will be fun but not looking forward to cutting the life of either of those.

I was at the track last weekend (2.23mi road course with 15 turns) and it ate my front tires up pretty good. I did ALOT of hard braking and never felt any brake fade or anything of that sort. I did however end up with that brake squeel that so many have been complaing about, which I never had before. Also it appeared as if I had the midnight silver wheels because of all of the brake dust.
I would highly reccomend to anyone that they go to the track if they get a chance. You get a chance to really get to know your car, and it was by far the most fun I have ever had.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
sounds like fun
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
I was at the track last weekend (2.23mi road course with 15 turns) and it ate my front tires up pretty good. I did ALOT of hard braking and never felt any brake fade or anything of that sort. I did however end up with that brake squeel that so many have been complaing about, which I never had before. Also it appeared as if I had the midnight silver wheels because of all of the brake dust.
I would highly reccomend to anyone that they go to the track if they get a chance. You get a chance to really get to know your car, and it was by far the most fun I have ever had.
Man....I definately want to so this but now you have me scared about eating up my tires. I have just over 1K on the car and don't really want to buy new tires in the next couple of months. I may have to wait for a little bit to do this.

When you say that it ate up your front tires....can you be a little more specific or post some pics? Did it round off the edges or take a bunch of tread off or what?
Build Journal
Old 04-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
meltyface

About the brakes- My brakes didn't totally fail, they just heated up really good and I noticed that one more trip around one of the hairpin turns, would have put me in the grass, so I just let them cool down for about 15-30 mins after about 2 runs.

About the tires- I'm still running stock 21s, and it did eat away at them slightly, but not enough that I'll be replacing them anytime really soon. Sure if you run these things weekly, you'll probably only last a month on your tires, but then again if you are running the track that often, get some track tires lol.

I completly agree with Big Brunsy though, there is no better way to get to know this car than to get out to a street track, plus it's AWSOME!!

Mods in the future:

Gotta have MORE power!!