Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
to buy or not to buy

Ok here's the situation. I have a 04 saturn ion I really want to get rid of. I owe 10k on it. and yesterday I went to look at trucks at this dealership that's running this special on used cars (3k off) and they didn't have any trucks in my price range. But when I went to leave I saw this beautiful camaro 98 z28 T-tops, leather, T-56 tranny, 69000 miles, all black. They are asking 12900 on the lot but on their website it's 11900. and NADA would list this car for 9625 at most. (needs new headlight lenses shifter boot needs replacement and scratches).

besides making them come down to avg retail for sure. I'm not going to be able to afford a new camaro right off. I'm going to have to wait until about 2010 or late 2009 before I can consider getting one due to bills I have right now. (unless I get deployed anytime between now and 2010). and this loan would run out around 2010 or 2011. which if I get deployed (and it looks like I will especially if I don't cross train into another job). I'll be able to pay off my other bill which means I'll be able to pay off my car sooner or put back that much more money. . .do you think I should go ahead and get this camaro and be driving something I love instead of my saturn? I just don't know.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Two things.
#1. Do what makes you happy. If you're not happy, you bring that on everyone else around you.
#2. Do what is financially feasible. If all you are doing is putting yourself deeper in debt, then you could just be pushing yourself further back from getting your 5th-Gen. I'd drive a Saturn to save a couple dollars so I could get a new 5th-Gen.

From what you say, it sounds like you have 10K to pay off on the Saturn. The 98Z comes in at a shade under 10K (NADA value). If you actually save a couple dollars by getting into that Z28, I'd do it. It could be a win/win situation. Obviously, before you make any decision, get that vin and have a GM dealer run it in their service dept database. It does a nationwide search for all maintenence done on it at the dealer. Then, do the carfax check. If you can get the vin, I MIGHT, MIGHT, still have access to the carfax VIN check and can get a report for you. If the money will be the same, I'd go for the Camaro any day. On the other hand, would you have to spend more on the upkeep for the less expensive, older, higher mileage Z???
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
they gave me 9k for my saturn and pay off was 9900. I had a car fax ran on it nothing noted. but with the warranty and gap insurance my payment per month went up 20 bucks but my insurance dropped 20. so it evens out. (thank god for bein 25). but I couldn't pass up that honestly. and when I get deployed (I know I am going to be) I'll be able to make the money back and pay down on it or my credit card. but I'm not going to mod this thing at all. maybe a b&m rip shifter. I had one in the trans am and loved it. but that's all I'm touching.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

If it all evens out in the end and there's no higher maintenence cost either way, then you need to do what makes you happy. Personally, I'd take the Z any day over a Saturn. But, that's ur call. Then, when you get back, maybe you'll have enough cash to pay off the Z and keep it when you buy the Concept.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

I did. the saturn was out of warranty for almost 10,000 miles. now I have a car with a warranty. lol. going to love this car. just as long as it doesn't kill me.

here's a pic of it. and my dad's saturn sky is behind it. this in my home town.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Right on, Box! I was hoping you'd get it. That looks to be really nice from your pic and I like that sport appearance package. I'm glad it worked out for you. Congratulations!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

it's just going to be hard not to mod the car. lol. I want to upgrade the suspension and then get some bolt ons. but I need to leave it be for now.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Just let it be. If you have a mod bug, do the easy stuff...k&n, cold air intake (freebie version), air lid (not too expensive), and an inexpensive exhaust. But...don't go too far. Save that cash for the Concept. I'm still contemplating putting on the $460 Mac mid length and y-pipe. It would be awesome, but geez...for every $500 down on a car loan, that = $10 a month less. Just don't know right now.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

I was looking at the austin ram air kit on lmperformance.com and then get an inexpensive exhaust work. (gut the cats and higher flow exhaust work and maybe a cut out.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 PM   #10
montez34

Drives: monte carlo z34
Nice buddy! I'm just like you about being able to afford my ss in 2010... hopefully itll be soon! I'm tired of driving my monte!
montez34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

anyone know anything about how good this is?
http://www.lmperformance.com/1858/1.html

looking at buying it. then again I might not.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

That's exactly what I was talking about w/ the freebie cold air kit. SLP has the same cold air induction kit... http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21033
It goes for a lot less, but doesn't hang as low. If you are really looking at saving $$$, go for the SLP version. Or, if you don't want to spend anything at all, just cut the bottom of the air intake box. It's not hard to do at all and doesn't take much time at all. Right now, the air only comes in at the front of the air box. Cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of the box (you'll have to remove the whole thing to see exactly what I'm talking about) and there's your "free" cold air intake. I'm pretty sure SLP also has directions on how to install theirs. Just skip some steps by not adding in the new and simply cut out the bottom. Hope that helps!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

coolness. but if i did that I would get the whole intake done. then upgrade the exhaust. but what do you think of this? no mods just a good picture.