Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
DIY: AAC LED Reverse Lights

Pic of the AAC high power reverse lights (tinted version)

AAC put some great instructions in with these things, very easy to follow. But I didn't actually get to install them tonight :( ran into a tiny tiny problem. Which I will get to in due time. Below are instructions on how to remove the rear bumper, not AAC's but it's the same thing really.

Removing the Torx screws is a little difficult to do without taking off the tire, but I found a solution, it's basically a Torx screw thing that I locked into place via a monkey wrench. It's really affective and doesn't need much room to use; which is perfect because I think you have all of 2" to work with behind the tire.

A few tips/things I want to mention here real quick. First, AAC gave great instructions, they just missed one tiny step that GM didn't even put into the instructions (see above images). You need to pull the quarter panels out BEFORE pulling the bumper backwards. See the pic

Once you get that all you have to do is pull. Gently, but firm at the same time. Also, having two people would make it A LOT easier, but it isn't necessary. When you finally undo the bumper it is going to make a sound like something VERY expensive just broke, don't worry: nothing broke. Why it makes that sound I don't know, but it nearly gave me a heart attack.

Pic of the back of the reverse light

OEM vs AAC: notice the tinted area on the OEM one, that is all the area that light can get out.

Close up of the AAC reverse lights. Mind you mine are tinted so they hide the dots a little better

With flash on

With the reverse lights on. Just ignore Kaylee, she's winking at me

Last edited by The Stig; 08-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
If you changed just the bulbs, can you get to them without removing the entire bumper?
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
The Stig

No unfortunately no. They are pinned between the bumper bar and the rear fascia.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
That sucks, I was hoping I would be able to reach up there and just twist them out and pop in the new bulbs. Oh well, I guess it wouldnt be as much fun if it was easy.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
They sure are bright. A mod I'd like to get my hands on, but first the Halo's are a must. My plasma's are finally on there way, then I need to send in my footwells(1 recently just went out) Wish I was sponsored,
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
eric0353

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
installed my lights last week, in one of my lights i can see water condensation... have you run into this problem? any advice?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0353 View Post
installed my lights last week, in one of my lights i can see water condensation... have you run into this problem? any advice?
Ugh... I was hoping I wouldn't hear about it from their reverse lights, too. I've heard about it from their turn signals, but not from the reverse lights until now.

:(

If I do get them, I'll be sure to put a generous coating of silicon around any place water could get in. (Though someone mentioned that if you did that, it would void their warranty, is that true?)

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
The Stig

Quote:
This is the first I'm hearing of condensation in the reverse lights. Mine have been on for about 6K miles and no issues. Have you tried contacted Jonathan at AAC?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
eric0353

i sent AAC a PM, ill see what they say back and post. Weird because its only on one of my lights. Could be a construction design issue...
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Support@OracleLights.com

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
I have never heard of this issue on any of the reverse lights we have sold. I am on a flight back to New Orleans now and I will get with you to replace it under warranty when I get back in town.
Support@OracleLights.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
The Stig

I dunno, I'm thinking it might just be a fluke light. I only say this because their reverse lights have been around for a long time and this is the first I've heard of this issue.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
eric0353

i really dont want to take my bumper back off again... this is going to suck big time...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
The Stig

It just takes 20 minutes to take it off
Old 12-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
eric0353

problem is i have the RPI stealth splash guards... :( pain in the ass to get off and on...