Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
shan1997

Drives: 2013 Red Hot Camaro
Rattling/Vibration sound at low rpm, numerous repairs, still not fixed--- UPDATE

Update----> vibration still present at low rpm. Torque converter was the replaced. Day after repair same sound occurred. Took it back in yet again and I was told that upon inspection under the vehicle, two wires or cables had been been hanging so they put a clip on one that could cause this sound to occur if going up an incline. I Have no idea why these wires were hanging or why it wasn't detected until recently. Again the day after the repair the same sound occurred. The dealership is now frustrated as I am being that they are unable to locate the problem. In the beginning they were willing to help me solve this problem at all costs but now they are tired of me brining it back in and I don't feel they are as sincere. They said if they cant hear it, they can't fix it. They expect to go on one test drive and hear it automatically. I can't make the car duplicate the sound on command. Just because they can't hear it doesn't mean it's not there. I have been referred to another dealership for a second opinion. However I was informed that a loaner car could not be guaranteed if work could not be done. Only the first hour of a diagnostic would be waived. Basically I got the impression if they are this time able to find the solution I have to now pay which is ridiculous if so. This issue has been going on since 2012 and vehicle was still under warranty at that time. I really wish there was a fix for this, the time, energy, time off work, gas I have spent trying to get this fixed has been unreal. As long as this issue has been going on, the dealership never follows up with me to make sure the repair has worked. They are blunt and say they are willing to help but their patience has run out. At this point because I'm getting no where I have to seek another opinion. I honestly won't be able to return to this dealership or be able to refer them to anyone I know. People have told me to just trade it in and be done. I've tried to be persistent but his is the never ending story. I paid a lot of money for my car and just want it returned in good working order. Links below of my situation this far(second link, most recent). People on the forum here have had the same issue as me and just wanted to give an update. The rattling/vibration sound...is there any fix?!?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342552

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343732

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340552

Last edited by shan1997; 03-25-2014 at 07:53 PM.
shan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
sorry, i have no advise. i've seen your past posts and was wondering what ever happened. i feel the pain on both sides because i am a tech for acura but you have to think they could come up with something. is your millage low enough to get the district managers attention, sometimes that throws alittle weight
Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Where is the vibration, I have a vibration in what seems like the dash between 1500 and 2000 rpm
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
shan1997

At speeds of 40-45 mph but mostly 40mph when foot is on accelerator and it also occurs when stopped and building speed back up to 40mph. The sound is loud enough to take notice and lasts for at least 5 seconds when foot is on accelerator . It's not a wear and tear type sound. It's not not mail. I've taken it to the service department manager and foreman. At least 6 repairs. Short of someone driving with me day after say for a few hours at a time not sure how to get them to hear it too. It happens once a day. Sometimes in the evening and sometimes afternoon. One test drive won't get it. It's surprising to me that after each repair they never want to know how it went. I ways have to call back. I know some would say it's up to me to call back to update them but as long as I've been dealing with this you would think they would check on things and ensure all is in working order. How does a district manager get involved??
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
I wonder if what you are hearing is like cards fluttering on bicycle spokes? My son's Camaro, V6 auto which is new, exhibited this subtle vibration symptom just once while I rode along with his wife, and when it stopped, it just shut off like a switch. This was at speeds between 35 -40 mph. I suspected that it may have had something to do with the power brake vacuum pump system. There looks to be a proportioning valve or something between where the two vacuum lines intersect before the booster. This of course is a wild guess as I don't know if your symptom and location of noise is the same. My son's rattling sound seemed to be coming from the center dash area and was definitely not a loose part rattle.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
luckily enough, i'm not having any of these issues but will keep watch for this.
the only thing i was'nt glad to see was the 2 part driveshaft with rubber dampers but i know why they did it. good luck with this
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
shan1997

Thanks for wishing me Luck. Been dealing with this long enough. The sound sounds like it is coming from the driver side.It sounds metal like.Almost like if you were to be going up on a roller coaster before you descend. That type of metal sound but constant for 5 seconds at a time or as long as foot is on accelerator. Kinda high pitch. Enough to notice it's there. Hard to describe
Old 03-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
I've had two sound issues with my 12 l99. One is vibration on the shifter at low rpms as if it's loose. The second noise is more of a squeaking sound towards the hood which occurs whenever the car is on and even when idle. I've taken the car in for the second noise to which the dealer claimed it was a water pump issue, replaced it but I'm still experiencing it. Anybody have trouble with these as well?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
shan1997

The vibration I hear is usually in the morning(when it's cold) when idle but the squealing sound I hear is when excelerating. Most people who said they have problems with this sound, have a 2012 model.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #10
Dexter9522

Drives: SS
It hard to say without being there but there was a thread a while back after I was searching due to a similar rattle. Took it to dealer and they couldn't figure it out. It was at about 2k rpms and then went away. The thread that fixed my debacle was a small but or clip on the exhaust that needed to be removed. I'll have to search for it but it fixed my rattle.
Dexter9522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
I have a similar noise occur only when the car is cold. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside. When I put the shifter in drive and start to accelerate I can hear a rattle, kind of like it's coming from the transmission? It only will do it for 1-2 seconds and won't do it again until the engine is cold again. It's driving me nuts and I have had it at the dealership. They were able to hear it too but couldn't locate where the sound originates from.

I also am having an issue where under wide open throttle, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts surge at the shifting points. It won't do it in the higher gears. The car isn't throwing any codes, but it's affecting the performance. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the engine, transmission or rear end. They asked me to bring it back in if a cel reads on the dash. They really couldn't give me any other ideas why the car is doing this. Possibly the mass air flow sensor? I thought it may be that or the transmission or torque converter but the problem only exists under W.O.T. in the first 3 gears.
I'm starting to think the only way to get the issue resolved is with a tune.

My car is a 2010 s.s. L99. with 53,000 miles.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM/IOM View Post
I have a similar noise occur only when the car is cold. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside. When I put the shifter in drive and start to accelerate I can hear a rattle, kind of like it's coming from the transmission? It only will do it for 1-2 seconds and won't do it again until the engine is cold again. It's driving me nuts and I have had it at the dealership. They were able to hear it too but couldn't locate where the sound originates from.

I also am having an issue where under wide open throttle, the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts surge at the shifting points. It won't do it in the higher gears. The car isn't throwing any codes, but it's affecting the performance. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the engine, transmission or rear end. They asked me to bring it back in if a cel reads on the dash. They really couldn't give me any other ideas why the car is doing this. Possibly the mass air flow sensor? I thought it may be that or the transmission or torque converter but the problem only exists under W.O.T. in the first 3 gears.
I'm starting to think the only way to get the issue resolved is with a tune.

My car is a 2010 s.s. L99. with 53,000 miles.

I'm wondering if GM incorporated a clutch delay valve on the manuals? Our S2000 has one. It's designed to prevent clutch dumping and excessive load on tranny and drive components. Maybe someone more savvy than me on Camaro manual setups can elaborate.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
I'm wondering if GM incorporated a clutch delay valve on the manuals? Our S2000 has one. It's designed to prevent clutch dumping and excessive load on tranny and drive components. Maybe someone more savvy than me on Camaro manual setups can elaborate.

Don't know. Mine is an automatic though.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:19 AM   #14
shan1997

I'm pretty sure my car qualifies for the lemon law due to the amount of failed repairs thus far. Anyone ever been in a situation where they had to take advantage of this law? Did you need legal representation?