Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
I am also from Columbus Ohio. You can get a BRAND NEW LS for just a couple grand more. You don't need snow tires if you have the all season 18" tires the LS comes with. Now when I used to live in Cleveland....snow tires would be a must. The only difficult part for me is when you are first trying to get going in icy situations. Can turn off the traction control briefly to get going but then turn it right back on. It takes a little adjustment from driving front wheel drive vehicles but its not any more difficult imo.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
andreythedon

Drives: 2011 1SS RS
Just got my 11' 1ss for 21,500 after all taxes and fees. I had to drive 2 hours for it though...Just be patient. Dealer was tired of waiting and I had waited plenty..win win (at least a win for me). Just do a good test drive..More than the 2 miles they like for you to do.
andreythedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Get the SS, even if it's a 1SS, you will be much happier, especially if your dream has been to own an American muscle car. Every american muscle car has been a V8, it's just not a true muscle car with a V6.

I paid 25k for a 2SS one year ago, I couldn't imagine paying over 20k for a 2010 V6 when you can find an SS for not much more.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #18
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Get the SS, even if it's a 1SS, you will be much happier, especially if your dream has been to own an American muscle car. Every american muscle car has been a V8, it's just not a true muscle car with a V6.

I paid 25k for a 2SS one year ago, I couldn't imagine paying over 20k for a 2010 V6 when you can find an SS for not much more.
Yea, I got my 2011 2ss in October of last yr and it was 25k with 28k miles. No way I would get a v6
Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #19
Machinehead

Drives: 2012 LS
Got a 2012 ls with 28k for 15.9k. The LS is a great bargain.
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #20
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Autotrader.com is a great place to shop to get a feel for what people nationwide are asking for similar cars.

Never buy an extended warranty...you're giving someone $$$ up front in case something breaks that may never break! Instead, bank that $$$ in case something DOES break!

Regarding snow tires, if your region gets snow, buy some take-off steel wheels and put dedicated snow tires on them!

Good luck, keep us posted.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #21
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
I bought my 2012 1LT convertible with 19,000 miles for $25,000 from a dealer a year ago, and the factory warrenty is good for another two months. I think you can do much better then the deals you have mentioned.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #22
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Here we go with the V6 bashers.... Get the car that's right for you, the V6 has enough HP to land you in jail. A V8 won't make your dick any bigger despite what you read here. It might make you a bigger dick though....
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #23
Baldwin feeder

Drives: 1986 Chevy C-10 and 2013 BRM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
Here we go with the V6 bashers.... Get the car that's right for you, the V6 has enough HP to land you in jail. A V8 won't make your dick any bigger despite what you read here. It might make you a bigger dick though....
Exactly though I do love my SS, I originally wanted a 1LS. There is nothing wrong with having a LFX. I just say test drive them both a V6 and V8 if there is any doubt in your mind of what you want. If you know what you want do not let anybody talk you out of it.

I wouldn't try to get an extended warranty personally on a 4 or 5 year old car. Those warrenties tend to be too expensive for me to justify the cost especially since I tend to be a DYIer.
Baldwin feeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #24
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
I didn't really see anybody bash the V6, but for the prices he mentioned for a couple more grand he could get an SS.

The V6 isn't bad, but when the price is so close why wouldn't you get the SS?
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #25
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin feeder View Post
Exactly though I do love my SS, I originally wanted a 1LS. There is nothing wrong with having a LFX. I just say test drive them both a V6 and V8 if there is any doubt in your mind of what you want. If you know what you want do not let anybody talk you out of it.

I wouldn't try to get an extended warranty personally on a 4 or 5 year old car. Those warrenties tend to be too expensive for me to justify the cost especially since I tend to be a DYIer.

Aftermarket warranties, especially third party ones are a complete waste of money. You'll pay 2 or 3k for the warranty and almost no chance you'll ever get the money out of it. The likely hood of you needing a new motor inside 200k miles is very low assuming you maintain it properly.

The bad thing with 3rd party warranties is that they make you prove the issue wasn't neglect or anything, they look for any excuse not to recover a repair. I've seen some pretty bad stories of people having to fight tooth and nail just to have something major covered. They make their money by not paying for repairs.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 12-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #26
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
Quote:

Because the V6 gets much better gas mileage. No, wait a minute, never mind.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #27
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Quote:
I didn't really see anybody bash the V6, but for the prices he mentioned for a couple more grand he could get an SS.

I had the option to buy an SS but chose color and options over the 2 extra cylinders. It's all about personal preference and maybe some people aren't buying a Camaro to race it. Trust me, I can exceed the speed limit.

I've probably gotten more compliments because of the color, than about the size of the engine.

The bottom line is we all love our cars, that's why we are here.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #28
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritus View Post
First of all I would like to thank anyone who will take a quick second to help me out. I have been reading the forum and doing a lot of research but still have a lot of questions about my potential future car! I grew up in Europe and owning an American muscle car has always been my dream even though I can only afford the v6 it is about to come true.(yes v6 is still a muscle car for me since I used to own a 1.4 L vw polo).

I found a couple good 2010 2LT RS v6's in my price range, the owners are asking around $20k and I was wondering if that is a little too expensive btw cars are under 30 k miles but no warranty. (KBB around 20 too but I am not sure if I am suppose to pay the kbb value)

Second question is can a get a gm extended warranty on the car even though its original warranty is expired and how much would that cost me for a 5 year/60k miles warranty assuming the car has 20 k miles on it and it is a 2010.

Third question: is there anything specific that I should be looking for as far as the recall fixes go or any other chronic issues that may the car have.

And my biggest concern is I will be moving to Columbus Ohio and my Camaro will be my daily driver. Are snow tires a must?

If there is anything else that I should know about a 2010 v6 Camaro I would really appreciate the input. This is my dream car and I have been saving up for it for quite some time!

Appreciate the help!
Do an AutoTrader search. I did one a couple of weeks ago for a friend of mine who's looking for a 5th gen RS, for 20k or less. I was surprised at the number of low mileage one's that I found for less than 20k and I was just searching for red/burgundy one's, less than 200 miles away.

I don't think you will be able to get a GM extended warranty on a car after it's standard warranty has expired. Your only option will be to purchase a aftermarket/3rd party warranty. Most of them are just an insurance policy. You pay for covered repairs and they reimburse you, minus any deductible.

The early '10s were famous for loose spoilers, but I think they all would have been fixed by now or they would fallen off.

You're definitely going to be dealing with snow in Columbus, Ohio, so I'd say you're going to need snow tires, or at least all-season tires.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote