Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
Hey thePill get back to TS.

Lol
Ah, I was wondering who you were. Did you enjoy my breaking story? I tried to get it out as fast as I could before someone beat me to it.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Ah, I was wondering who you were. Did you enjoy my breaking story? I tried to get it out as fast as I could before someone beat me to it.

Time to go for a drive... I gotta go for a spin before traffic gets to crazy around here. Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, Boston vs Vancouver is played at Rogers Arena only a few blocks from where I live. It's going to be nuts here tonight!!
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
ZZZOMG THE CAR THAT COSTS 9 THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE IS FASTER?!?!?!?!?!

I'll never understand these comparison tests, the guys at american muscle must've just wanted an excuse to race two nice cars around.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
thump426er

Drives: Z06
When they cross the line there is no way that is 2 seconds,,, try counting that out even.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump426er View Post
When they cross the line there is no way that is 2 seconds,,, try counting that out even.
I'm guessing that video clip is just a publicity shot. Actual hotlaps were almost certainly done one car at a time, and probably not filmed
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
AMChrisRose

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Hey guys,

Both cars had very close drivers in terms of skills. We did test multiple laps, and these were from a stand-still. The lap times were much better as time went on, but there was always a minimum of a 2 second gap per lap - over 10 laps or so it really added up. Of course, as stated above - this is to be expected with a Boss, which is built for this stuff. The Camaro SS, to be fair, was bone stock. We would have raced our 2011 GT, but it is an automatic built for 1/4 mile racing. That would have been a good lap, but nothing our Mustang audience hasn't already seen.

The ZL1 is going to be very interesting, and comparable to a Boss or GT500, so maybe we'll do this again, soon. Obviously, this is good content for us, which I know you all can understand, and we had a blast doing it. When there's a comparable GM model, we'll be happy to go back at it again, even if we lose!

There will be a full video in the next few days if anyone is curious!
AMChrisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
1.22 to a 1.24 for the SS. WOW! SS holds up very well for quite a bit less I would say.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
AMChrisRose

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Sorry - 1:22 to 1:24 - not 1.22 to 1.24
Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #23
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Well, my response is the same. a 1:22 to a 1:24 ain't much. Camaro SS did very well as opposed to the Boss I would say. I love the new Boss by the way.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Well to say the Boss pulled a 1:24 and the SS pulled a 1:22 says to me the Boss isn't really all that. I would have expected a bigger gap in time, say 5 seconds of total ownage, but 2 seconds is not domination especially for the money you pay for the Boss which is purpose built for "track" domination.

I would seriously bet, if you added a different suspension setup to the SS,....say pfatd, that 2 seconds the Boss gained over the SS would probably turn into something much smaller. I think the video just says the SS doesn't need as much work as we all would have thought. Sure the boss would excess differently based on the track but in this case,...it wasn't by much.

Do some of you realize, ....if the driver of the boss would have accidentally farted, or scratched his tail on a turn, that could easily account for 1 second off of his lap time. lol. Im just saying, I expected much more out of the Boss,....great car, but I think the ZL1 will be putting for back in it's place.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
BigDan

Drives: bug
You do all realize this was just ONE LAP.

Over the course of a race this seemingly small gap will widen to the point where the SS could possibly be lapped given the stats based on many variables.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Well to say the Boss pulled a 1:24 and the SS pulled a 1:22 says to me the Boss isn't really all that. I would have expected a bigger gap in time, say 5 seconds of total ownage, but 2 seconds is not domination especially for the money you pay for the Boss which is purpose built for "track" domination.
Great showings by both cars, no reason to be down on either. A 2 second difference is what it is. Not much in terms of glacial movement, a lifetime in a drag race, and somewhat significant on a track. To put it into perspective, a lap at Willow is about 1:30. The 2010SS ran Willow in 1:37.70, the G35 (not G37) in 1:38.60, and the 2011 Mustang V6 in 1:39.60.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #27
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
I actually would expect that sort of advantage just based on being 200lbs lighter, the extra hp and special suspension aren't doing a ton.
I'm wondering how they will target the z/28? will they aim to dethrone the boss on a road course and do better 1/4 mile times? Or, just on straight line speed?
Interesting...
575hp zl1 could leave the door open for a 450+hp z/28. With some minor tweaking that would easily be good competition for the boss.
Good times. HP wars rage on between 2 of the "everyman's" coolest cars.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #28
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Chris said there was at least a minimum of 2 seconds per lap meaning the lead was higher some laps than others. The Boss is not doubt a fast track car, it's in Audi R8 territory for a third of the price. I wonder what next years Boss will be like, hopefully a retro 1970 front fascia styling. That would be awesome to see the Boss 302 and the Z28 competing in Grand Am. The Boss is doing fantastic in Grand Sport this year, they have those M3's on the run.

I was unaware that the Mustang V6 was 2 seconds behind the SS at Willow...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote