Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Maybe I'm reading tur graph wrong - but doesn't yur engine loose peak power beyond 6k? Seems the low end average improvement may make it worth the top end loose though.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Hopefully the top end loss is something Vince can tweak...
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
22-40hp loss on the top end???
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Maybe I'm reading tur graph wrong - but doesn't yur engine loose peak power beyond 6k? Seems the low end average improvement may make it worth the top end loose though.
I hardly doubt that's an actual loss lol. It look like it's just an rpm variation from the dyno setup on a different day.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred69 View Post
Mace is currently shipping over 3 different sized insulators, I'm going to keep track of temps and I'm going to attempt for vararam to fit best sized insulator. Manifold will be ported though , doubt it skew results for temps, can't wait !

I'll keep you guys posted ! Good results on your part though thanks for the investigation
So mace is shipping out 3 different size out to you to test fit for vararam?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
hapisok...thanks for sharing this info!

This looks pretty sweet and the low and midrange gains look good for the price for sure.

I will say that I am a bit concerned about those top end numbers though. Would be nice to have some kind of reasurance that the loss of peak power is just a strange occurance here. I don't know if you plan to redyno after you get your tune tweaked, but if you do, please post it up.

Very interested also to see if there is any point in running such a thin insulator that would work with the vararam. Is it the decrease in temps causing these gains or runner length? Because if its the length, then vararam owners would have little reason to buy.

That 25mm insulator is so tall, looks like it could make it a bit difficult for even the traditional box CAI's to work with it lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #21
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very interested also to see if there is any point in running such a thin insulator that would work with the vararam. Is it the decrease in temps causing these gains or runner length? Because if its the length, then vararam owners would have little reason to buy.
There is also the possibility of modifying Vararam to fit the 25mm insulator. Like moving the vararam intake horn up to the manifold intake while the front of the intake still rests on the radiator. That's probably what I'll do if its possible.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #22
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #23
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
good to see more info! yeah, kind of wierd at that 6125rpm power shift, must be a need to clear up the tune from the runner length. If you got DTP doing your dyno, I'm pretty damn sure you're in good hands, the va hemi guys love those dudes too, good bunch of folk from what I've heard. very nice!!

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #24
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
22-40hp loss on the top end???
I know what it looks like...but that is hardly the case. There are others on here more knowledgeable and can explain it better than I can. I'll post up the original dynos later this evening. A 20-40hp loss would be dramatic and noticeable...and my butt dyno tells me different .

The guys here at DTP are awesome and genuinely interested to see what the LLT is capable of. I wish HP tuners would hurry up with support so Brent can work his magic. They're a great group of guys, friendly and professional.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
There is also the possibility of modifying Vararam to fit the 25mm insulator. Like moving the vararam intake horn up to the manifold intake while the front of the intake still rests on the radiator. That's probably what I'll do if its possible.
Do you have any photos? I've only seen the varaam first hand for the SS but it was off while a new cam was being installed. How tight is the fit under the hood?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #26
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
Do you have any photos? I've only seen the varaam first hand for the SS but it was off while a new cam was being installed. How tight is the fit under the hood?
No. I don't not right now but there is a ton of pics floating around.

Have you had your car retuned with the insulator on?
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #27
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

No, Vince is out of the office right now...but as soon as I can get a re-tune I'll post a dyno.

I'm looking at going back to E85 before that happens though...should be interesting to say the least.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #28
bmorecam
Account Suspended

My only concern with vararam is the little opening in front of the radiator where the air comes in and onto the filter. You raise the manifold, you raise the intake itself closing the gap further and further. I guess you could cut the rear neck into a slant to compensate for the extra height but that also mean the rear neck and the throttle will not line up straight. The only problem with that is, according to vararam, the rear neck fitment onto the tb is crucial. Any misalignment and it can cost you hp. Like I said before, 6mm might be the only solution for you vararam guys, and that's not even guaranteed until someone actually try it. I would love to see if someone could get a 25mm to work though.. I would go back to vararam in a heartbeat if it's doable. I actually have a vararam kit on top of my closet just collecting dust minus a filter