Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Performance question - gains from pulleys?

Just a thought: if the Camaro does come with a supercharger - is it only a pulley swap and tune away from incredable power gains like the '03-'04 Cobras?
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
unsure...
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
Just a thought: if the Camaro does come with a supercharger - is it only a pulley swap and tune away from incredable power gains like the '03-'04 Cobras?
Quick answer is yes. However the more boost you make the more you have to do to protect the engine. So with a modest pulley increase and a tune you can get real positive gains When you start getting over 10 pounds of total boost, you should probably be looking to help the rest of the engine keep up.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Quick answer is yes. However the more boost you make the more you have to do to protect the engine. So with a modest pulley increase and a tune you can get real positive gains When you start getting over 10 pounds of total boost, you should probably be looking to help the rest of the engine keep up.
What are the breaking points of the potential Camaro motors? When I was on the Cobalt forums, I remember that the piston rings could only handle 250 hp on the 2.2L. What kind of abuse can LS3 internals take?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm not sure it's going to be accurate to compare LS3 components to assumed FI engines for Camaro.

The LS3 is NA and has hypereutectic pistons to my recollection, a kind of forged rod, and a nodular iron crankshaft. I am very sure if GM does go with FI for an opotional engine, it will share it's crankshaft with the forged steel cranks that are in the LSA and LS9. I doubt it would get the Ti rods from the LS9 since the LSA doesn't get them, and I doubt there are going to be forged pistons since the LSA doesn't get them either.

With the way GM tests things, I'm sure it would be safe to say and LSA will crank out and hold up very easily to 600 horse as long as it's been tuned well. I remember hearing about Cobra engines easily cranking out 450 RWHP with just intake, pulley, tune, and exhaust, so I can't imagine Camaro making too much less with half those additions. With the way GM has been underrating as of the last couple years, I'm sure the CTS-V will put down to close to 500 RWHP and if not, I know it will be super easy to get there with a pulley.

Another thing to consider is the LS9 is running 10+ pounds of boost; LSA isn't pushing quite that much. I'm sure since it's bottom-end is built stronger than the LS3 that it will easily handle the abuse of similar boost numbers to the LS9, afterall, that LS9 is engineered to live on the track.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
What are the breaking points of the potential Camaro motors? When I was on the Cobalt forums, I remember that the piston rings could only handle 250 hp on the 2.2L. What kind of abuse can LS3 internals take?
I have no idea, Obviously Rad has made a pretty good comparison for us.

I don't know if GM will release this information or we'll learn through trial and error from people pushing the limits. Probably the latter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm not sure it's going to be accurate to compare LS3 components to assumed FI engines for Camaro.

The LS3 is NA and has hypereutectic pistons to my recollection, a kind of forged rod, and a nodular iron crankshaft. I am very sure if GM does go with FI for an opotional engine, it will share it's crankshaft with the forged steel cranks that are in the LSA and LS9. I doubt it would get the Ti rods from the LS9 since the LSA doesn't get them, and I doubt there are going to be forged pistons since the LSA doesn't get them either.

With the way GM tests things, I'm sure it would be safe to say and LSA will crank out and hold up very easily to 600 horse as long as it's been tuned well. I remember hearing about Cobra engines easily cranking out 450 RWHP with just intake, pulley, tune, and exhaust, so I can't imagine Camaro making too much less with half those additions. With the way GM has been underrating as of the last couple years, I'm sure the CTS-V will put down to close to 500 RWHP and if not, I know it will be super easy to get there with a pulley.

Another thing to consider is the LS9 is running 10+ pounds of boost; LSA isn't pushing quite that much. I'm sure since it's bottom-end is built stronger than the LS3 that it will easily handle the abuse of similar boost numbers to the LS9, afterall, that LS9 is engineered to live on the track.

LSA in my Camaro, LSA in my Camaro, LSA in my Camaro.... If I keep saying it they will hear me right?.... Seems to work for my daughter.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I have no idea, Obviously Rad has made a pretty good comparison for us.

I don't know if GM will release this information or we'll learn through trial and error from people pushing the limits. Probably the latter

LSA in my Camaro, LSA in my Camaro, LSA in my Camaro.... If I keep saying it they will hear me right?.... Seems to work for my daughter.
AMEN!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
LSA in my Camaro, LSA in my Camaro, LSA in my Camaro.... If I keep saying it they will hear me right?.... Seems to work for my daughter. [/QUOTE]

X2
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote