Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
jjjaroscak

Drives: Cyber Gray 2011 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Did you do it on jack stands? Got any advice? What are your impressions?

I'm planning on doing this mod soon
Yes I use jack stands. Make sure you have the right tools and I strongly suggest another pair of hands. So far it feels great, we'll see how it performs at the track this weekend.
jjjaroscak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
jjjaroscak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
What method did you use to get the metal plates off?
Took the wheels off, then I use a large screw driver from under the car to pry at the plate, then a friend used a crowbar to pry from the wheel well and used a hammer for the extra force/vibrations on the crowbar.

Screw driver slipped and I ended up punching the car at almost full power a couple times.

Quote:
The radius rod inserts are super easy.
Took some effort to get the bolts started, then took a lot of effort to get the driver side bolt in and out because of the washer fluid bottle.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Quote:
I'll throw this thread out there just in case someone hasn't seen it yet. It might help someone with the install.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=pedders
Good info Caverman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjaroscak View Post
Yes I use jack stands. Make sure you have the right tools and I strongly suggest another pair of hands. So far it feels great, we'll see how it performs at the track this weekend.
Getting ready to do this mod soon also!
Did you take out the axle back exhaust too? Seems like it would have to come out! What all did you take loose to lower the cradle? Thanks for the info!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
"took a lot of effort to get the driver side bolt in and out because of the washer fluid bottle."

Yes it is kind of a pain, but if you move the wheel or arm back and forth a bit it helps. I used a visegrip to turn the bolt out (the last little bit) and did the same to get it started in again.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms & Toe Links & Control Arm Bushings & End Links - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles & Driveshaft - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - AutoMeter A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure Gauges - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
The cradle has 4 bolts holding it in. For some reason 23mm socket is what I remember. I also left my exhaust on which is why id did the side to side method of installing the bushing inserts.

For me, I found the two hammer solution the easiest to get the plates off. About 3 good blows of the hammer and they popped off. Just keep an eye out on where it goes flying to because you might loose it if not.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
This install is fairly simple on a lift. Never done it on the ground but i can't see it being too bad.

The bolts will typically come off with a good impact gun. We have had some east coast cars require me to break out my large breaker bar. You will get several large pops out of it, but keep going, these are torque to yield bolts and the factory uses a lot of locktight on them.

Hopefully you've remembered to support the cradle

We've found the easiest way to get the plates off is with a well placed pry bar, you wanna go inside the whole and catch the edge with the pry bar, and then go nuts. It will take more force than you think, but the only thing you can really hurt is yourself, so be careful, when they let go they come out with a vengeance.

When doing the inserts you typically do not need to remove the exhaust, just the back hangers, and that should give you enough room to slide the inserts in.

When your ready to put everything back together, make sure you clean the bolts thoroughly and the bolts holes as best you can. Reapply blue locktight, and set your impact gun to max. Please star patern the cradle back in, or you might run into problems.

There is no specific torque spec on these, since its a torque to yield sequence. But no less than 100ft/lbs and no more than 200ft/lbs. I know this is a large range, but there isn't much rocket science to these, and your using stretchy bolts. We have never had a problem or failure with this method, and we've done hundreds of cars with this method.
Camaro's, G8's and GTO's all virtually the same setup.

Please feel free to give us a call with any questions.

Thanks
Mike Haddad
310-412-8032
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
MMXI SS

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1
Good info Mike.
If I'm just installing the rear sub-frame inserts is there any need for an alignment?
MMXI SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
This might be more info than you need for now but you'll get the picture

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289431
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMXI SS View Post
Good info Mike.
If I'm just installing the rear sub-frame inserts is there any need for an alignment?
The rear subframe is located by using some pins in the rear so technically no but it wouldn't hurt
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
jjjaroscak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Ox View Post
Did you take out the axle back exhaust too? Seems like it would have to come out! What all did you take loose to lower the cradle? Thanks for the info!
I have a cat back exhaust and was just barely able to get the inserts in without messing with it but you might have to lower it to get enough space.

It is held up with four 24mm bolts that take a good amount of elbow grease to get out. If you don't have air tools like me, make sure you have a breaker bar or nice long torque wrench so you can get some good leverage on the bolts.

Quote:
The cradle has 4 bolts holding it in. For some reason 23mm socket is what I remember.
They were 24mm, had to make a Home Depot run since I only have a pretty standard socket set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Custom_Painted View Post
"took a lot of effort to get the driver side bolt in and out because of the washer fluid bottle."

Yes it is kind of a pain, but if you move the wheel or arm back and forth a bit it helps. I used a visegrip to turn the bolt out (the last little bit) and did the same to get it started in again.
This is exactly the method I ended up having to use. Visegrip to do some screwing and a friend to turn the wheel back and forth to help find the magic spot to get the screw to slip in.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMXI SS View Post
Good info Mike.
You don't need to get aligned after doing this. (Unless your suuuper anul )
The worst case scenario in alignment change would be in-perceivable. And would equate to fractions of a degree.
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Thanks for the info OP! Great input from Haddad Motorsports and others!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote