Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
swagled

Drives: Y2000 Olds Intrigue
Orders becoming more commonplace?

I'm a little surprised to see how often people order cars on this forum. I'd always thought ordering a car is a large risk to take. Has the quality of manufacturing improved to the point that people feel like ordering cars is like ordering a new computer?

I guess I'm old school enough, to think that you only order a car if you have very special requirements that cannot be met from the dealer stock. But I've seen posts here from people ordering "stripper" cars without any options... I presume because they plan to mod it out to the max, themselves?
swagled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
For me I ordered because this is a VERY, VERY special car to me. I wanted it to come exactly the way I wanted, nothing more or nothing less. It has made the experience
just awesome knowing the car was built to my specs and was being made just for me.
It's hard for me to explain what this car means to me.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I bought mine right off the lot, quick, safe, and got to see it before signing.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Ordering a Camaro for people is a very special experience.

It makes the bond of ownership,...
even more special and intimate,...
knowing that it is built especially for them.

An "in stock" Camaro is a great choice,...
if it fits the specifications that you need.

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
If I could have found a camaro convertible on the lot that met the minimum I wanted I would have bought it in a flash. The vert is something I wanted two years ago but settled for a coupe when Chevrolet wasn't sure they were going to make a camaro convertible.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I ordered my convertible so I could could get exactly what I wanted for color and options. I plan on driving this car for a very long time (have owned my first Camaro for 21 years) and I wanted it to be perfect for me and my wife.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Wicamaro

Drives: Black 1LT
I took the leap of faith and ordered mine after not finding the one with the options I wanted. I shared the same feeling as you do, as I'd never ordered a car, always bought on the lot. However, I did rent one that was fairly close to what I wanted, which was invaluable to get a good idea of how they'd ride (even after being beat up in a rental fleet). Also, I test drove both a manual and automatic to compare. And lastly, and perhaps what tipped me over the edge on ordering, was that the forums made me much more comfortable about what to expect. If you are not in a hurry, having your car built to your specs is a pretty cool experience, especially the way you can track it online.
Wicamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagled View Post
I'm a little surprised to see how often people order cars on this forum. I'd always thought ordering a car is a large risk to take. Has the quality of manufacturing improved to the point that people feel like ordering cars is like ordering a new computer?

I guess I'm old school enough, to think that you only order a car if you have very special requirements that cannot be met from the dealer stock. But I've seen posts here from people ordering "stripper" cars without any options... I presume because they plan to mod it out to the max, themselves?
Your on a Camaro forum with many true enthusiasts. There is a much larger segment of people on here who ordered their car as opposed to the general public. The overall number of ordered vehicles isn't that large in relation to actual production numbers. I found exactly what i wanted on a lot 50 miles from me that had just been delivered to them so i snapped it up. No options i didn't want and all of the ones i did. 100% match

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
mulehead7
stubborn as a ...

Drives: '94 Trans Am
A year ago when I got my Camaro you were lucky to find a dealer with four or five on the lot. This year the dealer where I purchased mine has 85 (two locations) to choose from. I'm guessing I could find one out of 85 that I liked. I actually ordered a Camaro and bought one off the lot. How? I ordered a Synergy green limited edition but my wife couldn't live with the color. My dealer was gracious enough to find me one in town with most of the same options from another Chevy dealer. In my lifetime I've ordered four vehicles and bought four off the lot. I have only purchased one used car from a family member. I think its worth waiting to get exactly what you want.

mulehead7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
I'm thinking about ordering my 1-2SS. I'm going to look into if I can still use my USAA below invoice pricing on ordering. If not it's to the lot!
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrilliantQ View Post
I'm thinking about ordering my 1-2SS. I'm going to look into if I can still use my USAA below invoice pricing on ordering. If not it's to the lot!
You can. The USAA discount is good whether you order or buy off the lot. The discount comes through a special arrangement between GM and USAA and does not affect the dealer profit margin. I used it when I ordered mine 15 months ago.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
You can. The USAA discount is good whether you order or buy off the lot. The discount comes through a special arrangement between GM and USAA and does not affect the dealer profit margin. I used it when I ordered mine 15 months ago.
Outstanding. Thanks for the info.
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Ordering a car is like one knows what one wants , it is like having a child and wait till is delivered [by the wife] versus going to the lot and pick one up , it has less connection to, like if you go to the maternity and pick one kid up and go home , it feels like it was done for someone else , get it?

Last edited by oldfriend; 02-27-2011 at 08:47 PM.
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagled View Post
There's really no risk involved. Even after you order the car and put down a deposit, you're neither legally nor morally bound to take delivery if you're not completely satisfied with the vehicle.