Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
roller

Drives: 72 nova 10.5 tire car
VVT L99 CAMSHAFT REPLACEMENT

ive read a couple of articles where they replace the stock l 99 camshaft
with something alittle bigger and it still retains the vvt but they limit it some with a limiter kit and they have pretty good results. they dont remove the heads my question is how do they keep the lifter up off of the cam lobes. i figured once the rockers are off and the push rods are out the lifters will still rest on the lobes correct?
at least thats how it is on my gen i race engine
roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
rahallfly

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
ive read a couple of articles where they replace the stock l 99 camshaft
with something alittle bigger and it still retains the vvt but they limit it some with a limiter kit and they have pretty good results. they dont remove the heads my question is how do they keep the lifter up off of the cam lobes. i figured once the rockers are off and the push rods are out the lifters will still rest on the lobes correct?
at least thats how it is on my gen i race engine

Hey what's going on. I can't get to into it I am just taking a bathroom break from putting my VVT cam in at the moment .. There are two ways to do a VVT cam. U can get a cam made to keep DOD or do the AFM DOD delete with a VVT cam . U don't have to pull heads with keeping AFM / DOD but the cam has pretty gentle lobes to deal with DOD .. U have to pull the heads to put 8 new lifters in with the DOD kit but can run a more aggressive cam that is VVT . I am putting Texas speeds VVT 2 cam in mine. They have the kit and AFM delete kit that comes with everything for the job
rahallfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
rahallfly

but if you are just wanting to know how to keep the lifters up with the heads on to pull the cam, you buy 5/16 wooden dowl rods at the store and stick them in the holes in front of engine. if you google "2010 camaro ss cam install diy" It sends you to a DIY on this forum that is amazing and that trick is from that guy. but his was a LS3 to start with so there were quite a few differences.

SHAKE ANNNNNNND BAKE!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahallfly View Post
but if you are just wanting to know how to keep the lifters up with the heads on to pull the cam, you buy 5/16 wooden dowl rods at the store and stick them in the holes in front of engine. if you google "2010 camaro ss cam install diy" It sends you to a DIY on this forum that is amazing and that trick is from that guy. but his was a LS3 to start with so there were quite a few differences.
ill see if i can find that article i dont want to pull the heads off theres only 4500 miles on this car i just want alittle more power.if i can get 400 to 420 at the rwhp with a vvt cam and the dood lifters im good with that if i want more at a letter date ill just add a blower
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
rahallfly

i dont think that the vvt cam that keeps afm is a blower cam but the guys at texas speed are awesome and can answer all your questions.

SHAKE ANNNNNNND BAKE!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Ditching the stock L99 lifters is first and foremost. They are most definitely the weak link. Any plans to do a cam should include replacing them.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Ditching the stock L99 lifters is first and foremost. They are most definitely the weak link. Any plans to do a cam should include replacing them.
i understand about those lifters being the week link.but they will be good enough for this engine here is the cam specs intake lift 573 exh lift 588 and dur on the intake 220 dur on the exh 234 on a 116 l/s and that cam works with the dood lifters.i beleave i found this cam in a article in this months gm high tech magazine.if i remember right they changed out the valve springs a different timing cover ill re read the artical when i go to work tomorrow where i left the magazine.

this is my daily driver i will be driving this car 12 to 16 thousand miles a year this is not my race car.

i have 10.5 1600 hp drag radial car for that. pics of it are in the newbie fourm on here,
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
your better off doing the conversion, and make sure your tuner doesn't numb the hell out of your knock sensors to make power.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
ill see if i can find that article i dont want to pull the heads off theres only 4500 miles on this car i just want alittle more power.if i can get 400 to 420 at the rwhp with a vvt cam and the dood lifters im good with that if i want more at a letter date ill just add a blower
All wrong bud.

Sorry but if you want to keep your motor, do it once and do it right or pay twice.
AFM lifters break regularly and on stock cams. If you want to stay vvt that's awesome, you want to keep your AFM lifters fine BUT that's not the RIGHT way to do it, they must be replaced with (Ls3/7 same thing) lifters.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
The oem lifters use plastic lifter buckets remove the rockers and pushrods turn the cam a couple of times so that all the lifters are up the lifter buckets should hold them up as a precaution slide in the 5/16 wooden dowels now you can remove the cam without risk pf the lifters dropping on you
Fast6.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
All wrong bud.

Sorry but if you want to keep your motor, do it once and do it right or pay twice.
AFM lifters break regularly and on stock cams. If you want to stay vvt that's awesome, you want to keep your AFM lifters fine BUT that's not the RIGHT way to do it, they must be replaced with (Ls3/7 same thing) lifters.

thanks for the input i had no idea that gm was putting junk parts in these higher performance engines with automatic transmissions.

if the stock lifters are always breaking on these engines even with stock cams and stock valve springs is there a recall on this.

it kind of sounds like im going to need my warranty so i shouldnt put headers , cai and a tune on this car.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
flyer08
Account Suspended

You def want new lifters whether its afm or non afm cam
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
Quote:
thanks for the input i had no idea that gm was putting junk parts in these higher performance engines with automatic transmissions.

if the stock lifters are always breaking on these engines even with stock cams and stock valve springs is there a recall on this.

it kind of sounds like im going to need my warranty so i shouldnt put headers , cai and a tune on this car.

its not that gm is putting junk parts. simply those lifters are not designed for use with aftermarket cams the lift for the cam you listed is no where near the lift of the stock cam. you will need stiffer springs which put more stress on the lifters. also since your voiding your warranty doesnt it make sense to also upgrade the weakest parts especially since woure already going to open your motor. It might be a little more money and time but you will have some peace of mind knowing you have the proper parts for your application.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:

Just do it right bud, remove the heads and add put 16 Ls3 lifters with buckets a mast SS Cam, some of these lifters if you want the good stuff http://www.briantooleyracing.com/slr...r-lifters.html

Along with some of these springs
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html
Which have a "0" fail rate!

With a knowledgeable LsX tuner you'll have a better built motor than GM.
Damn the warranty! You just gotta do it right and you won't have problems.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote