Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #85
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
An old friend of mine likes to say -- Great Service isn't expensive. Great Service is PRICELESS.
Exactly.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #86
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
most people arent looking for top service... they want it cheap, and if you're $5 higher than the next guy, they go to them... the glass industry is the same way! people rarely care about the quality of parts and supplies you use, or your experience, they want it cheap and if they can get a used part for you to install to save money, they'll do that... we can thank big box stores and fast food for this...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #87
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
most people arent looking for top service... they want it cheap, and if you're $5 higher than the next guy, they go to them... the glass industry is the same way! people rarely care about the quality of parts and supplies you use, or your experience, they want it cheap and if they can get a used part for you to install to save money, they'll do that... we can thank big box stores and fast food for this...
It's true. I own a service based business. We make our money by giving personal care and attention.

Retail is surely harder to compete. Service is REALLY easy. REALLY easy. Blows my mind that it's so hard to find, BUT a company is only as good, to a particular customer, as the employee who dealt with him/her.

But, ya, many people want cheap. We are NOT cheap. But we keep our clients.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #88
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
My Eibachs are still in the box since April, yes APRIL. One place says I need Camber extensions, another says I don't. One says need bump stops cut, or need different shocks..... pains me.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #89
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
My Eibachs are still in the box since April, yes APRIL. One place says I need Camber extensions, another says I don't. One says need bump stops cut, or need different shocks..... pains me.
Nope you don't need camber extensions, whatever those would be on a 5th Gen. I do believe the Eibach instructions call for cutting the bumpstops. Coil replacement on the 5th Gen is really straight forward and it shouldn't be that hard to find a shop with the skill to do the work.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #90
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
Did they also tell you to wear sweatpants and bring a jar of vaseline when going to pick up the car?

Dealer here in St. Pete, FL (Maher Chevy) 79.99 Alignment...Tiresplus 49.99 Alignment......
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #91
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post

Dealer here in St. Pete, FL (Maher Chevy) 79.99 Alignment...Tiresplus 49.99 Alignment......
There are shops that will do quality alignment work at very reasonable prices. That said, making six adjustments in the front and four adjustments in the rear is not a a 30 minute alignment, especially when you want a Pedders spec alignment. Pedders spec alignments are tight alignments and not green range alignments. The allowable green range tolerance is generally a degree. That would mean your right front wheel could be 0 degrees camber while your left front is -1 degree. By the book and the machine that car is correctly aligned. You can do a green range alignment very quickly. Doing it right takes time.

Don't buy the price. Buy the result. You may be surprised to find that one or both of the shops you mentioned will do a Pedders spec alignment for the posted price. You may also be surprised to find they won't. Tell them what you expect and be prepared to pay for the level of quality you demand.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #92
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Whoa........... Dude. Load them damn things up and bring them to my house. Let's put em' on and run down to my guy and do an alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Nope you don't need camber extensions, whatever those would be on a 5th Gen. I do believe the Eibach instructions call for cutting the bumpstops. Coil replacement on the 5th Gen is really straight forward and it shouldn't be that hard to find a shop with the skill to do the work.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #93
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Just got a message from them about 30 seconds ago. She said they would chock up one of the hours researching the specs to educational benefit on how to do a 4 wheel alignment on a modified car and do it for 280.00 instead.
I had my wife's SUV aligned for $79.00

A week later, the same shop wanted $180.00 to do the Corvette and said they were "being nice, as it was with our performance specs" and should have been an hourly charge...

They were supposed to give me a written quote (they didn't) and when they insisted on charging me $180.00 after doing the work and giving me the key back, I asked what they would like to be paid for the work - as close to $79.00 was my suggestion
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #94
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
I had my wife's SUV aligned for $79.00

A week later, the same shop wanted $180.00 to do the Corvette and said they were "being nice, as it was with our performance specs" and should have been an hourly charge...

They were supposed to give me a written quote (they didn't) and when they insisted on charging me $180.00 after doing the work and giving me the key back, I asked what they would like to be paid for the work - as close to $79.00 was my suggestion
It's just so hard to find shops who are confident. And it seems like every shop thinks differently. Half the shops out there now days don't really know much.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #95
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It's just so hard to find shops who are confident. And it seems like every shop thinks differently. Half the shops out there now days don't really know much.
You are VERY RIGHT! I see this and hear of this EVERY DAY!!!

But in the case of an alignment, the "rack" does most of the work (through computers) and lasers...

I big part though of the alignment, is setting up the equipment to "read right" on the car.

Also, considering the Corvette had been in the shop a whopping 20 minutes, I did think the $180.00 was excessive.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #96
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
You are VERY RIGHT! I see this and hear of this EVERY DAY!!!

But in the case of an alignment, the "rack" does most of the work (through computers) and lasers...

I big part though of the alignment, is setting up the equipment to "read right" on the car.

Also, considering the Corvette had been in the shop a whopping 20 minutes, I did think the $180.00 was excessive.
A shop cannot do an alignment in 20 minutes. It takes time to put it on the rack, mount the heads and 'calibrate' the vehicle to the computer. That leave about one minute each fro front camber, front toe, castor sweep with another computer rack required set, rear camber and rear toe. Maybe with an assistant and every tool neatly laid out ready to go and every nut and bolt worked exactly like new and the car was in almost perfect alignment to start and required almost no adjustment...

The rack doe not do ANY work. The rack just shows the alignment specs. The work is done by the tech with wrenches and years of experience. It is the technician and NOT the rack that does quality alignment work.

I'll say it again. Communicate to the shop manager what you expect. Find out in advance how you are going to be charged. You will leave the shop with a quality alignment at the price you expected to pay or leave to find another shop.