Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
It sounds like you guys want the F1 style paddle shifters that have an automatically actuated clutch. Do you have any idea how much that would add to the cost of the car?

Besides if you can live with being 1-2 10ths slower to sixty you can get a real manual transmission. I know I sure can, besides those that are actually bothered by bing beat by an auto can always get performance upgrades.
IMVHO, if you don't like it, get a manual or don't use it. This is a different car too, so things have a chance at improving by the time it's on Camaro, so don't worry yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
How do we know if we have to settle? I know I havent driven a production 2010 Camaro yet.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
I dont know, just speculating

its a minor aspect of the car which i hoped would have turned out better

i guess this means a manual for me! ohhh nooo!!! more fun...
Let's just try to keep our minds open until a test drive

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #30
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Race you around the track at Indy on the 21st.....
Now I've got more reason to regret missing Indy thanks.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #31
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
The auto/paddles are made to the feeling of a manual in an automatic car.

IMHO it fails to deliver on that, because its not .1 or .2 seconds, its well over a full second.

This may mean i will have to get a manual, but isnt that kind of sad to think about? if you dont want to SETTLE, you have to get a completely different tranny?
the new corvette doesnt take that long to shift, (drove one last week) maybe we can hope for that
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
the new corvette doesnt take that long to shift, (drove one last week) maybe we can hope for that
you can hope... but we're getting the system in the G8, not the Corvette.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #33
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
Yeah my dad and I tested one, and it shifted quite nicely. I hope for at LEAST this in the Camaro, although I small part of me expects GM to put a sub-par tap-shift system in (PLEASE prove me wrong GM!). If they "optimized the shift points" or whatever like they said, that makes me feel better about it. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #34
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The G8 and the Corvette both have an automatic transmission with a manual shift mode. As such, you can program some lag out of it, but in the end the mechanical limitations mean there will still be some lag. That is just how automatics work. There is also a limit to the crispness. Yes that can be tweaked too but only to a certain extent. You can't program an automatic with manual mode to act like an F1 system/DCT/Tiptronic/SMG/R-tronic/whatever other automated manual systems you can think of. The differences go far beyond computer programming. They are altogether different mechanical concepts.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #35
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
better stall and increasing the pressure in the tranny will fix that.

since the 6l80e is all computer controlled you can get the pressures changed when you get a tune for it.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #36
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
As indicated above, if you want to know how the Camaro will perform, go drive a G8. If the G8 shifts slowly, so will the Camaro.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #37
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
As indicated above, if you want to know how the Camaro will perform, go drive a G8. If the G8 shifts slowly, so will the Camaro.
in theory.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #38
Screw991le

Drives: 2000 Corvette Coupe
Nothing a trans tune won't solve.

You can get the trans to snap your neck off it you want. GM always designs their cars to shift with ease. It is a balance. If you want more HP and Neck snapping shifting, just get a tune.

2000 Corvette Coupe
2003 Trailblazer LT EXT
2007 G6
Screw991le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #39
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yes you can get that, but it still won't be just like a Porsche, Audi, whatever transmission. It seems people think that good transmission = fast neck snapping shifts = Just like automated manual, and that's not the case.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #40
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yes you can get that, but it still won't be just like a Porsche, Audi, whatever transmission. It seems people think that good transmission = fast neck snapping shifts = Just like automated manual, and that's not the case.
Your opinion is duly noted...
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #41
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I have driven a 05 cts (3.6L) with the 5 speed auto and I must admit it is much more fun to drive than any other automatic car I have ever driven. It does not have the tapshift system, but I don't think I would ever need it or use it because of the way this car downshifts easily, even as you decelerate or head into a corner. It will downshift at maybe 30% throttle, so you don't have to be trying so hard just to pass someone. It will also downshift while breaking, and be ready in the right gear when you hit the gas again. This is not really a fast car, but it really makes it a lot more fun to drive than the 4L60E I am used to.

I can't say what the camaro trans will feel like, but if it is anything like the CTS, I think it will be a nice step up for aggressive driving.

With that said, it will not replace a manual, but if I were to get the auto version of the camaro, I promise you I would hardly ever waste my time with the Tapshift setup, just leave it in D and I think it will be a blast to drive.
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #42
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Honestly, just get a manual.
The only good dual-clutch transmissions are in cars that most of us can't afford and they're less fun to boot : )
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote