Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
Who has driven the V6 and the V8? Need your thoughts

So a buddy is really torn between the V8 or the V6. Economics do come into play as up here in canuckland the 2SS/RS is $46,000 (man and no sunroof) plus 10% tax. The 2LT/RS is $36,500 and thats a big gap. Ego wise I know he's leaning to the SS but wonders if the V6 is really lacking in performance and fun factor.

I know he would love the SS but is really wondering on a day to day basis, how different the cars really would be? He's not intrested in the dragstrip, likes power but doesnt need to pull 4 G's. Who has driven the V6 and the V8 and can you post some of your thoughts on how they drove, did you notice a huge difference in performance etc etc.

I cant relate to the V6 so Im no help and turn to the experts here! We're in winter and test drives are out, plus the dealers around here have limited stock and only the SS. I know there are a lot of guys with the 2LT who can help!
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
there are also gas and insurance costs that come into play..the V6 is no slouch.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
IMO go with the v8. belive me if ur bud goes for the v6 hes gona want to have more power. not to mention its only a matter of time when people ask him " nice camaro is it a v8?" and hes gona be sad to answer " no its a v6"
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
The V6 is fun to drive and has a good amount of power at 304 hp. Also, if he's looking at an automatic, there's the tap shift which is fun to play with.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
If money is an issue, go with the V6. Most of the people answering to these questions have not driven both and are just saying what their ego says. "real men drive V8's"

Just FYI, this V6 can kick my V8's a$$ out of the water.

It's a fast, strong car. Fun to drive. You won't have many regrets.

But if you have the money, the V8 is a whole other beast.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've driven them both and each in both trans.

I then bought a 2SS/RS 6 sp manual trans. Zero regrets.

If I wanted to save money on a 6 cyl commuter, I'd have gotten a used $5000 Grand Prix.

The 6 though in all fairness is an impressive 6. My impression was, wow - decent grunt for a 6. It scoots. But the SS is an animal, set you back in your seat torque, good old american push rod small block Chevy V8. Over 50 years of refinement and it's the sweetest motor a pony car could have.

The biggest difference is where the power is. The 6, rev it way up and at the top of the RPM range - OK it feels pretty impressive here, really screaming the engine. The 8, stomp on it off idle and it's torque city right off idle pinning you back in your seat right up to red line.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
WVCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1Lt RS Victory Red
I have not driven the V8 and i love my V6... Plus i dont need the that big of a motor anyway the V6 is just right for me..
WVCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
ObseSSed

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 RJT
I test drove both cars. Today I drove the V6 A6 for the first time. It is true that it is no slouch. You will enjoy the car with a V6. It even sounds nice. The V8 makes you laugh as you accelerate to a speed faster than the law allows. I want to laugh. The V8 is more than I will ever need or use today, but tomorrow I know I will wish I had it.
ObseSSed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Agent Atomic Orange

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
IMO go with the v8. belive me if ur bud goes for the v6 hes gona want to have more power. not to mention its only a matter of time when people ask him " nice camaro is it a v8?" and hes gona be sad to answer " no its a v6"
If thats the case, you must be really down in the dumps when you have to tell folks that your Mazda is a 4 banger

Airaid CAI (V2 Tube)/ Flowmaster American Thunder/ Barton Shifter Kit/ Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars/ Hotchkis Sport Springs/ AAC Lights/ GM Trim Kit/ Tint/ Pioneer Premier Champion Series Sub/ Pioneer 1500 Watt Amp
Agent Atomic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Rod10269
Hot Rod

Drives: 69 Z28,69 SS 396,67 Chevelle
He will love the v6 and by your description is exactly what he needs.I purchased a 2LT/RS in June and put 4500 miles on it and loved it but in my case i decided if i was going to get a SS i needed to do it while my value was high ...so i ordered my 2SS IOM 6 speed Sept.26 and took delivery Nov. 12. The v6 cars are very strong fo 6 holes and with the paddle shift you can have a blast with it.
Rod10269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
If he wants a really fun car, the V6 is enough, but if he wants to have something bigger and better than all his neighbors, then he'll have to get the V8.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
Puttnutt24

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
If he really wants a SS, buy it. If he really wants a LT, buy it. Just know what you want before you plunck down the cash for either car. The reason I know? I bought a V6 (to save money) and traded it in for the SS four weeks later. I got the car i wanted from the start, I just went the expensive way of getting it. Don't make the same mistake.....
Puttnutt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I've driven them both and each in both trans.

I then bought a 2SS/RS 6 sp manual trans. Zero regrets.

If I wanted to save money on a 6 cyl commuter, I'd have gotten a used $5000 Grand Prix.

The 6 though in all fairness is an impressive 6. My impression was, wow - decent grunt for a 6. It scoots. But the SS is an animal, set you back in your seat torque, good old american push rod small block Chevy V8. Over 50 years of refinement and it's the sweetest motor a pony car could have.

The biggest difference is where the power is. The 6, rev it way up and at the top of the RPM range - OK it feels pretty impressive here, really screaming the engine. The 8, stomp on it off idle and it's torque city right off idle pinning you back in your seat right up to red line.
Okay, you make good points about the benefits of a V8, but the Grand Prix comment is pretty insulting if you ask me. So you are basically saying the V6 is a POS commuter that is no better than a used Grand Prix? I drove both and I actually agree with the driving impressions you stated (particularly low end vs. high end power). I just don't agree that the V6 is a "why bother" car like previous generation v6's.
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I look at it like this, since i drove a V6 auto, and got a shotgun ride in a V8 stick.

Is the car DD? Yes = V6
Weekend/nice weather car? Yes = V8

While the V8 is awesome to have, it may be wasted half the year being driven in our lovely saskatchewan winters...

Unless he is a hardcore muscle head, then just plain out get the V8.