Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Aftermarket wheel compatibility

I've seen everyone posting pics of the wheels they want to purchase to customize their ride, but here's a question that I think a lot of people are overlooking.

What needs to be done to aftermarket rims to make them compatible with the Tire Pressure Monitoring system in the Driver Information Center?

I can see this potentially being a big issue with people.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
There shouldn't be anything that needs to be done other than to swap the TPMS sensors from the stock wheels to the aftermarket wheels. They just replace the valve stem on the wheels. Discount Tire did the switch on my Expedition when I went from stock 17's to aftermarket 20's. No big deal.

This is only a problem if you buy your wheels through the mail with the tires already mounted. If you buy the wheels through the mail/internet and have new tires put on at a local shop, they can make the switch for you.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Ah, see, I've never had a vehicle with the tire pressure monitoring system, so I wasn't aware how easy/difficult it would be to switch.

Thanks!
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Good answer Rolnso, the only thing you forgot is that different wheels and tires require different inflations, so you would have to take the vehicle back to the dealer to have them reprogram your TPMS (that might be a new acronym...tire pressure monitoring system) to your new wheel/tire specs. Also, GM does not recommend you use wheels and tires that are not designed for your vehicle. This doesn't stop most people, but if you put on new wheels and tires and something goes wrong with your suspension, there's a good chance the dealer would be able to tie that in with your swap, and therefore void your warranty.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Chevyrocker - Good point. I made the assumption that most people will run tires that fall within the standard inflation ranges already setup in the onboard computer. But you are correct, if you run tires that use a PSI outside of the acceptable range, then you will have to get the TPMS values reprogrammed by your dealer.

As for aftermarket wheels voiding your warranty, I suppose that's possible but I've never heard of that happening to anyone but the people that also jack with the suspension (off-roaders, air bags, etc...).
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...=Black+Painted

Will these fit?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
Well, Breyton wheels are marketed towards BMWs, which typically run a 5x120 bolt pattern. So, in that sense, they "should" fit the Camaro, assuming they can be purchased with the proper offset for the Camaro.

http://www.breyton-export.com/articl...iew/301/1/201/
Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2010 Enclave
GM tire/wheel warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Chevyrocker - Good point. I made the assumption that most people will run tires that fall within the standard inflation ranges already setup in the onboard computer. But you are correct, if you run tires that use a PSI outside of the acceptable range, then you will have to get the TPMS values reprogrammed by your dealer.

As for aftermarket wheels voiding your warranty, I suppose that's possible but I've never heard of that happening to anyone but the people that also jack with the suspension (off-roaders, air bags, etc...).
I suspect GM puts that disclaimer on all vehicles to cover themselves just in case someone does something crazy. Probably more of a problem with trucks (jacked up) then Camaros.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
drivingincamaro

Quote:
Well, Breyton wheels are marketed towards BMWs, which typically run a 5x120 bolt pattern. So, in that sense, they "should" fit the Camaro, assuming they can be purchased with the proper offset for the Camaro.

http://www.breyton-export.com/articl...iew/301/1/201/
Offset?

what offset does the camaro have
Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

With the Chargers, they can be reprogrammed without going to the dealer. You do a certain procedure to reprogram them right at the car.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
Offset?

what offset does the camaro have
We have yet to find out what the stock offset is for the Camaro.

Quote:
Wheel Offset

The wheel's offset is the distance from its hub-mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset of a wheel can be one of three settings:

Zero offset: The hub-mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive offset: The hub-mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars.
Negative offset: The hub-mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically negative offset.

Offset can be calculated by positioning the wheel on a flat surface and measuring its overall width. Subtract the backspace, and divide by two.

Offset = (Width - Backspace) ÷ 2
Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
With the Chargers, they can be reprogrammed without going to the dealer. You do a certain procedure to reprogram them right at the car.
I sent a PM to Number 3 to see if this is possible for you to do yourself in the Camaro or if you really do have to go to the dealer.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS
Quote:
We have yet to find out what the stock offset is for the Camaro.

Not true.We have had them for a while.Only problem is that ours are specific to the Z-28.The Z-28 would have had 20x9.5 front and 20x11 rear 305-35 20 and 275-40 20 front.

Btw-Currently our wheels only come in the above size.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
drivingincamaro

i just found out they fit the g8 gt does that help me at all?

I wish i knew more about this stuff