Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #85
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The Camaro is starting to look a lot like Windows Vista. It was going to have a new Files System. Humm could not make that work so its gone. About 6 other things they did not deliver on it when its was orignally talked about.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #86
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
Sure would be nice to have Scott chime in about now......
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #87
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
Out of curiosity, do the folks that don't care about the ambient lighting currently own a Camaro?

I guess since I have toys to play with that it's not the end of the world if I don't get one this Spring.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #88
RS/SSYellowJacket
Old School

Drives: Ordered Yellow/Black RS/SS2 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Well, just to keep this in perspective, at this point this thread has approx. 20 people that have shown disappointment in no ABL, with some of those planning to delay their order.
The "Calling JohnnyCamaro...." stripe thread has a poll count of 128 asking for longer Rally Stripes, none planning to delay their order since the prospect of a longer option does not exist at this time, but you can bet many would delay if there were longer coming.
My point is that the stripe issue is at least as big an issue, and one I hope GM is also addressing in an expedient manner.
I would delay for longer stripes, but would not for the ambient lighting, a ambiance effect only visible to passengers at night.
I would not delay for either. My wife has the ambient style lighting in her CTS. It is cool but I wouldn't miss it.

I am in this for the Camaro and its performance possibilities!!!! I can make stripes longer myself and I bet I could even do a lighting kit of my own just as cool and probably cheaper than it would cost me from GM. Same thing with Stereos and Navigation systems. Most times I prefer to choose my own products and install them my own way. Most people seem to like that way as well. Look at the after market for cars.

If no Ambient Lighting I simply want the discount for lack of off my price.

Last edited by RS/SSYellowJacket; 12-19-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: checking my sig
RS/SSYellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #89
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Yesterday I mentioned in a post that buying a red tag corvette was not an option for me. I am thinking now it just might be. Great price and can get HUD, navigation, etc....
As an owner of a 2008 Z06 with Navigation, I would encourage you to get an aftermarket Nav unit instead. While the nav unit works fine, there is no Auxiliary or iPod interface as of now for that unit. Rumor has GM is developing one but it was supposed to be out last year and still no word. I am about to pull mine and install and aftermarket unit.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #90
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Well, just to keep this in perspective, at this point this thread has approx. 20 people that have shown disappointment in no ABL, with some of those planning to delay their order.
The "Calling JohnnyCamaro...." stripe thread has a poll count of 128 asking for longer Rally Stripes, none planning to delay their order since the prospect of a longer option does not exist at this time, but you can bet many would delay if there were longer coming and they were factory installed only items.
My point is that the stripe issue is at least as big an issue, and one I hope GM is also addressing in an expedient manner.
I would delay for longer stripes, but would not for the ambient lighting, an ambiance effect only visible to passengers at night, where the short stripes will be visible even to other drivers passing by on the road.
For me the lack og HUD was a close deal breaker. No blue color was the clincher. They undid that mistake and I'm ready to order this weekend and along come this "no ABL" rumor and a bunch of political waffling about it not being "cancelled" but no word on a delay?

Now I am back to not ordering again.

This has got to stop.

The fact they would tease us with how cool these features are and then NOT produce them is BAD BAD BAD!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #91
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
Quote:
The "Calling JohnnyCamaro...." stripe thread has a poll count of 128 asking for longer Rally Stripes, none planning to delay their order since the prospect of a longer option does not exist at this time, but you can bet many would delay if there were longer coming and they were factory installed only items.
I would delay for longer stripes, but would not for the ambient lighting, an ambiance effect only visible to passengers at night, where the short stripes will be visible even to other drivers passing by on the road.

Stripes are no big thing because I'm going have mine painted on aftermarket anyway as opposed to vinyl stripes that scratch and build up wax at the edges. For those who are happy with the short vinyl stripes you can add on another section (and I'm sure the aftermarket will make them available). However...I'd hate go to the work of adding some type of ambient aftermarket lighting and then have an electrical problem....and have the dealer void my warranty due to it. We're talking about something quite different than favorite flavor of stripes here. The car has been adverised with ABL being a part of it and we buyers expect that it will be there. After waiting this long for the car I don't see a big problem with delaying my purchase until both HUD and ABL (and maybe even climate control) become a part of it if the ABL does'nt show up.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #92
OldTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
For me the lack og HUD was a close deal breaker. No blue color was the clincher. They undid that mistake and I'm ready to order this weekend and along come this "no ABL" rumor and a bunch of political waffling about it not being "cancelled" but no word on a delay?

Now I am back to not ordering again.

This has got to stop.

The fact they would tease us with how cool these features are and then NOT produce them is BAD BAD BAD!

I have to second you on this one Captain Awesome. How much more are we going to have taken off our car? We committed to being one of the first to buy knowing we had to give up HUD and then the stripes we want. Now this no ABL.

Come on GM. We all know the tuff times you have had but if you are going to build the camaro, get it right. For all of us. If not, delay the entire release until you have a "finished" product to offer the public. You are still a viable busniess that is going to be accountable for whatever you build and put on the road.

Selling half baked cakes is a recipe for disaster. I can't speak for anyone but myself here and I would rather you not rush a beautiful car with a fast engine to market that is incomplete or anything less then your original expectations. Others have said on this forum it's the little things that makes this camaro special. Without them, its just another fast car.

Besides, why do those of us who have put money down to make this launch a success, allowing you to boast how many you have presold, be the ones to get the lesser car??

We need an answer on the ABL.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #93
Barry626

Drives: 2012 Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post

you've had over 2 years of developing this car to get it right... time to prove that you're number one on the planet
Sorry to disagree but even with the new Camaro won't make GM # one.
They never was & doubt they ever will be? Sure hope they prove me wrong?
Barry626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #94
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
If GM had never announced that ambient lighting would be there, would you guys still be bitching? Maybe they shouldn't have announced anything til the car was being produced to know 100% what they'd have.

Still, this is all rumor. It is odd that noone has stepped in to quash or confirm the rumor yet though.

Was HUD ever announced as a feature and then the GMPP catalog recently? From everything I've seen, it's just been wishful thinking that it'll be brought over from the vette.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #95
OldTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
If GM had never announced that ambient lighting would be there, would you guys still be bitching? Maybe they shouldn't have announced anything til the car was being produced to know 100% what they'd have.

Still, this is all rumor. It is odd that noone has stepped in to quash or confirm the rumor yet though.

Was HUD ever announced as a feature and then the GMPP catalog recently? From everything I've seen, it's just been wishful thinking that it'll be brought over from the vette.
Pretty hard to bitch about something if you didn't know it existed in the first place!

I agree that Scott or someone reliable needs to quash this as well. I believe he has been on and posted on other threads so the lack of a reply here leads most of us (my assumption) who want the ABL, that it is possibly true.

We are all anxious to get our camaro's and are exhausted from the back and forth on the government loan and if GM was even going to be around next year. Any "bad" news just, well, gets to ya!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #96
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
GM can't delay this car..they're going to need the profits from this car to meet the loan requirements. If they don't finish ABL in time, it will most likely be left off.

Last edited by StoutFiles; 12-19-2008 at 10:10 PM.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #97
OldTimer

So, if they can't delay the car and those of us who have already ordered and put money down are going to get a car with options left off I guess that's just our loss. That really sucks. Can't imagine those cars are going to have the same future value as the ones that have what is "really" supposed to be included in their respective packages.

I have bot and sold many cars and the options do make a difference.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. It's the principle I don't like. I can hear my buddies now saying "that's what you get when you buy a GM." I'd rather not give them the opportunity to say it.

I would have to agree with them if that happens as well. I don't see BMW or Lexus saying they are going to have something on one of their cars and then when it comes time to be built say, "oh sorry, we couldn't get that to work in time so your car won't have it. You still have to pay me for it though."

I'll shut up on this topic now.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #98
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
No one knows if this is a done deal or not...so hang in there.

But also realize that this is no normal car. I want to second UFC w00t, had this been any other vehicle in GM's lineup, we wouldn't have known anything about it (not even how it looked) until...like last month. So that means nobody would have ever known about Ambient lighting until it was 100% done...and you wouldn't know about price, about colors, about powertrains...you wouldn't have even been able to order it!

But GM decided to run with this, take the camo off, authorize people to talk it up -- BRING IN ENTHUSIASTS to get their opinions, and generally interact with us on how this car is built. (Blue SSs, anyone?). The openness about this project is astounding, and unprecedented! That means the good and the bad.

Having said that. There are always issues. And there are always unforeseen issues that get bigger and bigger and turn into "wtf?" issues. This light-pipe ambient lighting is new stuff, and this is a radically different interior it has to adapt to. So maybe...MAYBE....they encountered those unforeseen issues? It happens. And frankly, if I were to peg any feature on this car as the "issue" feature - it would have been the lighting hands-down.

Again, had this been a 'normal' car, we would have never known it existed, and therefore never known there was a problem. Instead, we know. But we know a lot MORE phenomenal things about this car, too thanks to the lessening of secrecy surrounding this vehicle...keep that in mind.