Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Arrow Wrap Will Not Stick on Fibreglass ANVIL Rear Spoiler, Need Help

About 3 years ago, I plastic dipped my Anvil spoiler, but now I want it wrapped, so that it will truly match the wrapped 1LE hood.

I took the spoiler off the car, peeled off the Plasti Dip, and dropped it off at a local wrapping service.

To my slight surprise, the dude there told me that the wrap will not stick on the fibreglass Anvil. Then it struck me, how do people wrap their Corvettes and fibreglass boats?

The dude there will do some research on how to proceed(he is not a paint shop btw), but I'd like to ask you guys and gals here, what step or steps should I take, to properly prep my fibreglass Anvil spoiler, so that the wrap will stick on it?

I really don't want to have it Plast dipped again!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I wonder if the plastic dip leached something into the primer/gelcoat of the fiberglass. I assume that the Fiberglass at least had Primer on it before you sprayed it .
Old 05-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
I suspect scrubbing it with water and dish soap would help get rid of any greasy, oily film on the surface; if that doesn't work, and you plan to have it wrapped forever, maybe a light sanding with something like 1000 grit paper (or rougher if needed)?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My Anvil is wrapped but cf version I guess may be difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I wonder if the plastic dip leached something into the primer/gelcoat of the fiberglass. I assume that the Fiberglass at least had Primer on it before you sprayed it .
There was, but I sanded it down a bit, because there were a few light imperfections. I sanded and cleaned it, like I was going to paint it.

The Plasti Dip leeching something, is an interesting theory, but I'm thinking more that it might be because wrap likes to stick on a smooth solid surface, and some fibreglass is very porous?? I dunno...I mean, I'll try and wash it with some soap and alcohol, but I'm not optimistic that it's the Plasti dips fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
I suspect scrubbing it with water and dish soap would help get rid of any greasy, oily film on the surface; if that doesn't work, and you plan to have it wrapped forever, maybe a light sanding with something like 1000 grit paper (or rougher if needed)?
I THINK the Wrap dude sanded it again, like prepping it for a paint job, but still, the wrap would not stick.

He claims its the fibreglass material..

Later today, I'm heading over to the wrap shop, to pick up my spoiler, and then head back to the drawing board.

If anyone here, successfully wrapped a fibreglass Anvil spoiler, please do chime in!!!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Paint it, then the wrap will stick
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Paint it, then the wrap will stick
Ya, for sure..I decided, that if I have to go through the whole process, of heading to store to buy primer/paint, prepping it, etc, it kind of kills the magic to wrap lol.

I'm probably going to have it professionally Plasti Dipped. This place offered to do it for $50, done within 24 hours, which sounds quite reasonable.