Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Sean@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro X5 Turbo
BBK Shorty headers compared to stock manifolds

Hey guys, thought you would like to see these pictures of the BBK shorty headers compared to the stock exhaust manifolds.

The Collector Openings on the headers (which seem to be the biggest restriction in the stock manifolds) measure up like so:

Stock manifolds: 2.15 inches
BBK shorties: 2.52 inches

We will be doing an install with instructions as well, and will post that info soon.

Sean@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
yota924x4

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS m6, 1970 Nova SS396
Send a message via AIM to yota924x4
how about measurements of the primaries at the flange or the bbk's and stock manifolds while you have your verniers out? and or measurements of the ports on the heads themselves?

thanks
chris
Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Sean@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota924x4 View Post
how about measurements of the primaries at the flange or the bbk's and stock manifolds while you have your verniers out? and or measurements of the ports on the heads themselves?
The stock exhaust manifolds have an oval-shaped opening, the BBK's are more of a circle. I will get some good pics of the exhaust ports on the heads when we do the install.

PS - Nice Nova! I have a '69 going under the knife right now..
Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
How about a before and after dyno????
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
It appears in the picture BBK supplied you with the 4 - 25mm long, M10-1.5 12 point bolts to attach the factory mid pipes to the headers. I found those bolts for BBK when I ran into trouble installing my BBK stainless Steel headers on my LS3. You will have to remove the factory studs from the mid pipes with an 8mm wrench if I remember correctly. The stock 15mm hex flange nuts and studs won't work to attach the mid pipes to the collectors , I know as I alerted BBK to the issue. The other thing to watch out for is the collector flanges aren't perfectly flat, however with the stock factory copper gasket and tightening the 4 mid pipe bolts down securely, there are no leaks. See my posts on BBK shorty headers. Other than that, headers fit fine. I have approximately 1500 miles on mine and they seemed to increase power in the 3k to 6.5K range and only slightly increased the sound level.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.

Last edited by flht99b; 04-19-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: forgot some information
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Sean@Phastek

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
It appears in the picture BBK supplied you with the 4 - 25mm long, M10-1.5 12 point bolts to attach the factory mid pipes to the headers. I found those bolts for BBK when I ran into trouble installing my BBK stainless Steel headers on my LS3. You will have to remove the factory studs from the mid pipes with an 8mm wrench if I remember correctly. The stock 15mm hex flange nuts and studs won't work to attach the mid pipes to the collectors , I know as I alerted BBK to the issue. The other thing to watch out for is the collector flanges aren't perfectly flat, however with the stock factory copper gasket and tightening the 4 mid pipe bolts down securely, there are no leaks. See my posts on BBK shorty headers. Other than that, headers fit fine. I have approximately 1500 miles on mine and they seemed to increase power in the 3k to 6.5K range and only slightly increased the sound level.
Ed M.

Those are pictures from our shop, right out of the box. This set arrived on 4/15 for reference... so probably left BBK around the 12th of April.

I tried to use the stock bolts for a test fit, and they do hit the collector flange on the BBK headers like yours did. Thanks for the heads up on that to BBK, saved us some time & work!

It seems like the stock collector flange gasket is thick enough to close up any gaps if the flange isn't perfectly flat... I will be keeping a close eye on this when we do our full install.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
flht99b

Unless BBK didn't update their instructions ( I suspect they have based on my conversations/emails to them ) you will need to disconnect and collapse the steering shaft to install the driver side header. I installed both headers from the bottom. I wonder if I should have gotten a consultant fee from BBK.........
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Scrappy Doo

Any word on a dyno test then????
Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
flht99b

I haven't had my car dyno'ed nor did I do a fuse pull after the header installation. After driving with them on my car nearly 1300 miles I can definitely say there is a seat of the pants increase in the 3K to 6.5K rpm range. I have and posted the dyno sheet BBK supplied me and it basically confirms what I've said. These headers will not make the larger power gains of long tube headers, but they do seem to make some power. I was interested in keeping my factory warranty so shorties were the only option. BBK was the only vendor offering shorties in T-304 stainless so they were my choice.
Ed M.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Scrappy Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
I haven't had my car dyno'ed nor did I do a fuse pull after the header installation. After driving with them on my car nearly 1300 miles I can definitely say there is a seat of the pants increase in the 3K to 6.5K rpm range. I have and posted the dyno sheet BBK supplied me and it basically confirms what I've said. These headers will not make the larger power gains of long tube headers, but they do seem to make some power. I was interested in keeping my factory warranty so shorties were the only option. BBK was the only vendor offering shorties in T-304 stainless so they were my choice.
Ed M.
I want to see an "impartial" dyno sheet. One of the shops on here posted a sheet where shorties made less power than the stock manifolds. I want to get shorties to avoid the tune, but if they make 0 or no power, I am not wasting my money.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #11
flht99b

Bump for install and dyno results........
Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
I want to see an "impartial" dyno sheet. One of the shops on here posted a sheet where shorties made less power than the stock manifolds. I want to get shorties to avoid the tune, but if they make 0 or no power, I am not wasting my money.
Someone is going to have to one with the stock cats too. TSP's test with the the stock cats. Replacing the cats with highflow ones is proven to give decent HP gains, even with the stock manifolds.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
Sean@Phastek

We didn't get a chance to do any before & after dyno testing, mainly because this car already has a cold air intake and exhaust. We might put it on the dyno with this complete setup and see how much power we get to the wheels; with and without a tune.

As far as installation, we had to disconnect the steering shaft as well. Easy enough though, as it just slides up and out of the way. Sound quality improved a bit as well...
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
We didn't get a chance to do any before & after dyno testing, Sean@Phastek
Then whats the point!!!!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote