Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Maybe. A PD car can be far for forgiving to driver error and can be easier to launch depending on the setup. If they are both making 600rwhp, or 700rwhp I agree. The issue I see is a out of the box maggie makes ~490-500rwhp. Out of box turbo kits makes ~150+rwhp more. As you add more mods, the turbo kit keeps or maintains that lead. So if you spend $10k on a maggie setup to make 600rwhp or $7500 or a turbo kit to make 600rwhp (turn the boost down because stock out of box kit will make 650-700rwhp so dial it down) then yes, average driver may turn better times with the maggie.

Now to make 800rwhp what would it take? Cam, heads, a lot more mods. Turbo setup just needs enough fuel and octane. No cam, no motor work, no heads. So when you take cost into the equation there starts to be a big difference.

Price out a 600rwhp, 700rwhp, 800rwhp maggie and then same with a turbo kit.

If anyone thinks turbo cars can't go fast at a drag strip, they don't follow drag racing. Almost all classes are dominated by turbos cars. Almost all records are turbo cars (for street style cars, not prostock/funny/etc where turbos are banned). Fastest IRS car, turbo, Fastest vette, turbo, fastest viper, turbo, fastest streetable mustang, turbo, fastest IRS 5th gen camaro, turbo, fastest mile cars,turbo, fastest outlaw drag radial cars, fastest LSX cars, turbo.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Maybe. A PD car can be far for forgiving to driver error and can be easier to launch depending on the setup. If they are both making 600rwhp, or 700rwhp I agree. The issue I see is a out of the box maggie makes ~490-500rwhp. Out of box turbo kits makes ~150+rwhp more. As you add more mods, the turbo kit keeps or maintains that lead. So if you spend $10k on a maggie setup to make 600rwhp or $7500 or a turbo kit to make 600rwhp (turn the boost down because stock out of box kit will make 650-700rwhp so dial it down) then yes, average driver may turn better times with the maggie.

Now to make 800rwhp what would it take? Cam, heads, a lot more mods. Turbo setup just needs enough fuel and octane. No cam, no motor work, no heads. So when you take cost into the equation there starts to be a big difference.

If anyone thinks turbo cars can't go fast at a drag strip, they don't follow drag racing. Almost all classes are dominated by turbos cars. Almost all records are turbo cars (for street style cars, not prostock/funny/etc where turbos are banned). Fastest IRS car, turbo, Fastest vette, turbo, fastest viper, turbo, fastest streetable mustang, turbo, fastest IRS 5th gen camaro, turbo, fastest mile cars,turbo, fastest outlaw drag radial cars, fastest LSX cars, turbo.
Hey you can't be coming here with all of your logic

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #17
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Lol, well if we're getting so far off from what the average member here would build.The fastest 1/4 cars in the world run a top mount . We have every IRS passenger car record, these are hoped up street cars, not what I would call a street car but A LOT closer than the other reference and no turbos.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
Rigzo510

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

This was the type of response I was looking for, this makes the most sense! I think im sold on the turbos. Looks pretty sweet when you pair it up with a boost controller for street to strip boost levels.

Ive got a JRE rough idle blower cam, how will a blower cam do with turbos? And also which size turbos would you guys reccomend from the agp kits? Thanks guys
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
Rigzo510

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
I would hope a 1200 Hp car could chase down a 800 hp car, but you are right it would gave to chase down the TVS car.We have made OVER 900 rwhp with a 2300, most people will make in the high 700s tho.It is no doubt that turbos will out dyno the tvs cars pretty easy but the op has stated he wants a quick 1/4 mile car and he has a man stick.I would be willing to bet for the AVERAGE forum member with a stick he would run quicker 1/4 mile times with a Maggi than a turbo , even with the turbo making much more power on the dyno.You obviously have a problem LOL, the horsepower you want isn't reachable with the TVS alone. I don't think the new TVS would be enuff...woops
The maggie looks like it could be a lot of fun but i think I'd end up spending more with that trying to not get any belt slip and all that, but if I was going for a strictly street setup I'd forsure go with one of these.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #20
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
I am able to talk a little experience here (a little). I have the base AGP twin turbo setup punching out 670rwhp with my M6. I've been running with top mount blower guys with 725 and 780rwhp Camaros. I have to admit, I am a newbie and have only made 23 runs with street tires and 22 runs with drag radials. Getting off the line with turbos and drag radials is a bear! 4-4.5k rpm and hook off the line is Bog city! If I grease out the clutch then it's much better but my 60's still suck (2.0sec). I admit a lot of driver error so far. But, if I get off the line with one of those SC cars next to me (they'll be a car length or two ahead of me), slamming through the gears and half way down the track we're either bumper to bumper even or they will just barely, and I mean ever so slightly pull away from me. Sometimes I gain on them. Turbos with no load off the line are difficult (2-step comes to mind to help but I can't race in the classes I want to if I had one). Once the turbos start loading up then they produce killer torque and my 75-110 less rwhp turbos will keep up them those SC cars. The M6 is tough; I'd think an A6 would be a great match with the TT setup to load up on the line and start with boost.

On another note - it is positively reassuring to blow past guys after they kill me on the line. Usually happens about 1/2 track. My ET's are generally faster than the comparable SC guys. I still have a lot to learn. 3.73's might help over my 3.45's.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #21
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigzo510 View Post
I don't really know much about turbos so I wouldn't be able to say sizes all that. I have full bmr suspension out back with dss axles also. I've just been reading that turbos don't like heavy cars till the top end? I'll be forging the motor later on to run higher boost but for now maybe 10lbs

Your ctsv is badasssssss btw!
As long as you don't have huge turbos you won't suffer from lag. But if you want simpler builds a roots blower will probably have you happy.

And thanks Car should be fun!

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #22
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
I am able to talk a little experience here (a little). I have the base AGP twin turbo setup punching out 670rwhp with my M6. I've been running with top mount blower guys with 725 and 780rwhp Camaros. I have to admit, I am a newbie and have only made 23 runs with street tires and 22 runs with drag radials. Getting off the line with turbos and drag radials is a bear! 4-4.5k rpm and hook off the line is Bog city! If I grease out the clutch then it's much better but my 60's still suck (2.0sec). I admit a lot of driver error so far. But, if I get off the line with one of those SC cars next to me (they'll be a car length or two ahead of me), slamming through the gears and half way down the track we're either bumper to bumper even or they will just barely, and I mean ever so slightly pull away from me. Sometimes I gain on them. Turbos with no load off the line are difficult (2-step comes to mind to help but I can't race in the classes I want to if I had one). Once the turbos start loading up then they produce killer torque and my 75-110 less rwhp turbos will keep up them those SC cars. The M6 is tough; I'd think an A6 would be a great match with the TT setup to load up on the line and start with boost.

On another note - it is positively reassuring to blow past guys after they kill me on the line. Usually happens about 1/2 track. My ET's are generally faster than the comparable SC guys. I still have a lot to learn. 3.73's might help over my 3.45's.
Don't change your gear, turbos like to be loaded..what are your best times so far?
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
dreksnot

Quote:
Don't change your gear, turbos like to be loaded..what are your best times so far?
That's what I heard - turbos like high gears. But it doesn't help on the line. Guess I'll just have to slip the clutch out on the runs.

12.2sec drag/12.3sec street tires has been my best. The DA typically runs between 7,000-13,000 here at Bandimere Speedway in Morrison, CO (elevation 5,814).

I think the car is capable of running 11.7sec here with an experienced driver (I'm working on it).

BTW, my lag is about 1/2-3/4sec, at most.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #24
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
My AGP TT 1LE LS3 M6 best ET so far is 11.613 @ 119 with a 1.731 60'. This is with a completely stock engine, stock 3.91 gears, 305x18 NT555Rs, and only 6 pounds of boost. My car is a 2SS 1LE with a sunroof, the heaviest LS3 Camaro there is. This run was at Atco. I feel Dreksnots pain running in the upper atmosphere.

I have to say that 60' was hard to come by but once the air improved one night a 1.8 60' was becoming the average. In bad air bog city.

Now that I have just about reached the limit of 6 pounds, I will be turning the boost up, adding a clutch, and doing the rear bushings. Once the boost comes on the side step out is very noticeable to me. I want to fix that. Then I would like to see some 10s as expected. 6 pounds will be my street setup.

Loving the turbos. Working out the kinks. The TT setup is very popular in the staging lanes.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #25
Rigzo510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
My AGP TT 1LE LS3 M6 best ET so far is 11.613 @ 119 with a 1.731 60'. This is with a completely stock engine, stock 3.91 gears, 305x18 NT555Rs, and only 6 pounds of boost. My car is a 2SS 1LE with a sunroof, the heaviest LS3 Camaro there is. This run was at Atco. I feel Dreksnots pain running in the upper atmosphere.

I have to say that 60' was hard to come by but once the air improved one night a 1.8 60' was becoming the average. In bad air bog city.

Now that I have just about reached the limit of 6 pounds, I will be turning the boost up, adding a clutch, and doing the rear bushings. Once the boost comes on the side step out is very noticeable to me. I want to fix that. Then I would like to see some 10s as expected. 6 pounds will be my street setup.

Loving the turbos. Working out the kinks. The TT setup is very popular in the staging lanes.
I've been following your build against that mustang lol can't wait to see what that thing will do with some more boost pushing it! 10s should be right around the corner from you. Overall how are you liking the turbos on and off the strip?

I noticed significant reduced wheel hop when I switched out the bushings and LCAs out back, should help a little with those 60's
Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Lol, well if we're getting so far off from what the average member here would build.The fastest 1/4 cars in the world run a top mount . We have every IRS passenger car record, these are hoped up street cars, not what I would call a street car but A LOT closer than the other reference and no turbos.
This is a street car. Not sure how he went so fast without turbos.

http://youtu.be/ZzbQhIDF6Q4
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #27
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

How are you getting that beast off the line? Are you dumping the clutch or slipping it out? I'm sure the 3.91 gears help.

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #28
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
The AGP TT kits run 10's as the parts ship in the box.
I think an ECS kit should also be capable of that.
Maggie out of the box run 12's as they ship. You can spend thousands of dollars and upgrade half the parts from a maggie kit and then get into the 10's. But kinda a waste of money to handycap yourself with all the maggie limitations right off the bat. If you want a PD blower then Whipple is the only way to go. Much better blower.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote