Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #113
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
i was hoping for better numbers, but this ain't bad. I still think a TVS s/c & cam would be cheaper for the same power, yes?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #114
MIAPLAYA

Drives: cHEVY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
A year later....
about time.
Yeah but I guess CARB testing takes pretty long.
MIAPLAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #115
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
i was hoping for better numbers, but this ain't bad. I still think a TVS s/c & cam would be cheaper for the same power, yes?
That cam won't have a CARB number though... You could go with LS9 or some other tame cam, but you have to open up the engine, and all that. IMVHO - in a region where us Cali'-people live, if you want to remain compliant, we gotta' spend the $$$ on a lot of compromised parts. I don't consider these CARB-legal FI systems compromised, for the record, though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #116
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA View Post
Yeah but I guess CARB testing takes pretty long.
Air Resources Board is one of my clients and it does take a while, depending on what it is. I test blasting media for them (yes - apparently, in California's great wisdom it is necessary to make sure blasting sand and other material meets a certain size...) and I'm sure coordinating labs and testing facilities can cause delays much of the time. I know I'd like to learn more about how this process works though. I've heard it costs several thousand dollars, but beyond that, I don't know...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #117
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Well one thing to consider is as radZ28 said this kit had to be kept at a specific point for CARB. In Florida where there is no CARB you are open to do what you like. And I know for a fact that 76mm compressor is good for 1,000 HP of air if you crank the boost on the tuner kit with your own EMS.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #118
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Air Resources Board is one of my clients and it does take a while, depending on what it is. I test blasting media for them (yes - apparently, in California's great wisdom it is necessary to make sure blasting sand and other material meets a certain size...) and I'm sure coordinating labs and testing facilities can cause delays much of the time. I know I'd like to learn more about how this process works though. I've heard it costs several thousand dollars, but beyond that, I don't know...
I've never seen the full requirements to go through CARB but I know it ain't easy. Simple intake kits have failed requirements on some cars. Heck the intake kit on my truck wasn't CARB EO for over 2 years after it was released. Of course like the good (read scared of a fine) citizen I waited till it was because lets face it it's only a truck. It's damn expensive for sure but the process takes forever. I know from my past cars that for turbo kits they check a lot of parameters for emissions (CAT light up time, cold start emissions, etc). It aint easy or cheap to pass something I know that for sure.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #119
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Are there a bunch of install pictures that we could see?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #120
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Are there a bunch of install pictures that we could see?
I haven't see any yet other than the ones on the first page of this thread. Once the Install Guide gets posted there should be plenty of them though.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #121
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Air Resources Board is one of my clients and it doe I know I'd like to learn more about how this process works though. I've heard it costs several thousand dollars, but beyond that, I don't know...
A manufacturer needs to meet certain standards that are put out by the ARB. Any modifications to the car have to not alter the emissions output of the vehicle as originally certified.

A manufacturer has to put an application into the ARB and provide testing results to demonstrate the emissions from a vehicle. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/forms/forms.htm

"Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB."

"To ensure that these systems operate as designed, California Vehicle Code Section 27156 and the Federal Clean Air Act prohibit modifications that increase motor vehicle emissions. Since if properly designed, most performance modifications do not increase vehicle emissions, these same laws also allow the installation of parts or modifications proven by their manufacturers and the ARB not to increase vehicle emissions. "

You can see the application form here - http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/forms/formc.pdf

The ARB will let the manufacturer know what test they want to see. An FTP cold, or hot start test , measures the complete emissions output of the vehicle. An FTP is an 11 mile simulated drive cycle, run on a dyno. Most lab tests run in the $2000 range per test. There are very few testing labs in the US.

I didn't see anything mentioned in that application, but there is also testing done on a federal level for evaporative emissions testing. Normally a open element air filter has problems with this test, so to keep everything more simple, most manufacturers going for CARB certification keep the stock airbox. They also generally want to keep parts costs to a minimum, and testing costs to a minimum so they test in the one configuration.

I have worked with FTP testing on grey market imported cars. It is a procedure, but in order to get CARB certification, it is what is required.

Last edited by Team STILLEN; 10-20-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #122
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Cant wait to get my kit on... Been waiting for a year! Its so close i could taste the boost haha
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #123
TurboneticsRW

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Here are some recent pictures I just took via my cell phone. The last one I'm trying to show you the intercooler with BOV but its hard to make out.

TurboneticsRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #124
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboneticsRW View Post
Here are some recent pictures I just took via my cell phone. The last one I'm trying to show you the intercooler with BOV but its hard to make out.

I can't see them from this computer :( Maybe later.

Thanks for that CARB info' Sean

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #125
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Interesting design for sure....

I would be afraid of the hot side piping acting as a transmission pan heater on the L99 cars tho.
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #126
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Interesting design for sure....

I would be afraid of the hot side piping acting as a transmission pan heater on the L99 cars tho.
It's only made for the LS3 Manual Transmission car...

Got some more pictures of the kit too: