Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #29
SummitRider800

Drives: 2008 Dodge 3500
noise people worry about that? i am out of the loop. only time you have to worry about being loud is if your next to a cop that has a headache in my area. besides that let it roar. no regs or rules really that i know of. i think ill go with what every exhaust that adds the most power despite the noise or "off road use only" sticker.
SummitRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #30
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
not to sound ignorant lol I know Im not as smart as some of you cats when it comes to this stuff, but with this exhaust is it adjustable from off-road to track pack, to round trip or are these three diff exhaust? If it is how does that work. I remember the borla being adjustable? sorry if this is a repost!

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #31
Cmurf_SS
"SLOMARO"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sauce,
Nice photoshop on your sig pic... where'd you get that?

As far as the stock.. ive heard it in person and have video.. unfortunately, kinda sounds week until you have a good heavy foot in it.

Here's the link to the vid's
The guys around were a Mustang Club.. They were googling too, until I turned on the camera, then started cackling like hens..

http://youtube.com/cmurf78

Dyno'd before VARARAM TUNE unit at 390hp
Cmurf_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #32
davidj

Drives: .
And usually besides having a louder more flowing muffler, these CB systems use larger diameter tubing as well.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #33
liquidfire350

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/det...prod_id=135862

Link to track pack and other gmpp exhaust. Track pack is fully legal.
not true. IL state law is anything other than factory is illegal, regardless of loudness
liquidfire350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #34
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
So where are all the performance exhaust experts that live and breath this stuff all the time on this site? It seems we are all pretty much guessing at the definition of Off Road exhaust in this thread. What I would like to know is the difference between the GMPP Cat-back exhaust upgrade kit and the Track Pack (Off-Road Use Only) kit.

1) Is the Track Pack kit street legal?
2) Is the Track Pack kit emissions legal?
3) Will the Track Pack kit pass State inspection?
4) What is the difference between the Track Pack kit and the Cat-back upgrade kit? Does the Track Pack remove the Cats completely (which I thought was illegal) where the Cat-back upgrade kit leaves the Cats in place or does the Track Pack kit provide high flow Cats to replace the stock ones?

Last edited by Edrock; 04-01-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #35
liquidfire350

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
1) Is the Track Pack kit street legal?
2) Is the Track Pack kit emissions legal?
3) Will the Track Pack kit pass State inspection?
4) What is the difference between the Track Pack kit and the Cat-back upgrade kit? Does the Track Pack remove the Cats completely (which I thought was illegal) where the Cat-back upgrade kit leaves the Cats in place or does the Track Pack kit provide high flow Cats to replace the stock ones?

1. theres too many law variations state to state, city to city, for aftermarket exhaust system to claim street legal
2. should be, being that its a cat-back system, the only part modified is the area after the cat, meaning the cat is untouched. the converter does most of the work cleaning exhaust gas. cat-backs just change the muffler and piping size to reduce restriction, which generally doesn't affect exhaust gas content.
3. depends on the state, for the most part no one will really notice or care. but as ive said before, IL state law is anything modified from factory is illegal, so techinally here it would be, but i use to run hooker long tubes, no cats and 3" dumped duals on the 4th gen with no problem.
4. they really dont explain the difference, i would assume the track pack is almost a straight through muffler giving the most flow and therefore being the louder of the two.

EDIT: after going back and compairing the two trying to find a difference, i noticed neither claimed to be a cat-back system, so it could for a full length system from the manifold back. if thats the case the track-pack probably does remove the cat or at least replaces it with a high-flow converter.
liquidfire350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #36
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurf_SS View Post
Sauce,
Nice photoshop on your sig pic... where'd you get that?

As far as the stock.. ive heard it in person and have video.. unfortunately, kinda sounds week until you have a good heavy foot in it.

Here's the link to the vid's
The guys around were a Mustang Club.. They were googling too, until I turned on the camera, then started cackling like hens..

http://youtube.com/cmurf78

Thanks!!... here is the LINK http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16529

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #37
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfire350 View Post
1. theres too many law variations state to state, city to city, for aftermarket exhaust system to claim street legal
2. should be, being that its a cat-back system, the only part modified is the area after the cat, meaning the cat is untouched. the converter does most of the work cleaning exhaust gas. cat-backs just change the muffler and piping size to reduce restriction, which generally doesn't affect exhaust gas content.
3. depends on the state, for the most part no one will really notice or care. but as ive said before, IL state law is anything modified from factory is illegal, so techinally here it would be, but i use to run hooker long tubes, no cats and 3" dumped duals on the 4th gen with no problem.
4. they really dont explain the difference, i would assume the track pack is almost a straight through muffler giving the most flow and therefore being the louder of the two.

EDIT: after going back and compairing the two trying to find a difference, i noticed neither claimed to be a cat-back system, so it could for a full length system from the manifold back. if thats the case the track-pack probably does remove the cat or at least replaces it with a high-flow converter.

Before anybody comes at me with "Your dealer is an Idiot" (lol) please hear me out. I contacted my dealer with these questions and he went ahead and put me in touch with the parts department for the dealership that handles, processes, installs these options. This is what he said.

1) The track pack exhaust system is NOT street legal (here in Greensboro NC anyway). I then called a local reputable performance exhaust shop and asked what off-road exhaust was and was told it is performance exhaust without Cats, was not street legal, and would not pass inspection. It was more for racing only. So I guess that eliminates that option for me. This is fine so I'll be going with the CB exhaust option instead like I originally planned.

2) Also, the dealership parts dept. guy went on to say that according to Partech (no idea who this is but suspect it is somebody in the chain somewhere between the dealership and GM) that "those exhaust kits (any of them) will NOT be available until late this year or early next year." This is truly a bummer. I have been assured though that I would be able to roll up the price of these options in the price of the car when it arrives as long as pricing is available (apparently the pricing info is slow getting out to all dealers) and have it installed after the fact (which I can live with as long as GM doesn't have to liquidate for some reason).

Really don't know if this is the gospel but I've been getting good information from my dealer so far so I have no reason to doubt them. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited by Edrock; 04-01-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Edrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #38
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-Am View Post
Usually it's not an issue. A GMPP system is extremely unlikely to be so loud and obnoxious as to get you in trouble with cops or neighbors.
I would say a GMPP exhaust is comperable to a Screaming Eagle (harley performance parts) Exhaust for a Harley Davidson.

"They are quiet, support a factory warranty, sometimes expensive, and don't flow nearly as good as a true aftermarket system."

My experience with GMPP!
I have a GMPP Performance catback on my Cobalt and it has the smallest piping of any catback available. It flows the least and is middle priced. But, It is legal noise wise and has an amazing sound for a 4cyl! It's made by borla for GMPP and If I had to, I'd probably do it again unless I was looking for real power later on.

I'd expect the Camaro GMPP exhaust to be similar to my experience. Its really all about what you want and like. An exhaust thats for "offroad" only is going to be louder in general. And probably drone. Not my taste. I'd rather have a quieter rumble than all out grawl!

When sound clips come out for each exhaust, choose the one that fits your style and enjoy!

You don't need to decide your exhaust system yet! You don't even have your cars!!!
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote