Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
It's happening way too often to be a DDOS attack. If it is, someone is dedicating a lot of time or money to do so.
What's a DDOS attack............I lump all the outages to being hacked.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #16
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Why would anyone want to DDOS this place? It's not like Camaros are controversial.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #17
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
This is the first time I have seen them offline.
Try around 8:00 AM Eastern time tomorrow morning . . . that's as close to a guarantee as any prediction ever gets.

Norm
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #18
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Try around 8:00 AM Eastern time tomorrow morning . . . that's as close to a guarantee as any prediction ever gets.

Norm
Yep. I usually have my first look of the day around 5am (Pac) to check for Fast List additions and there seems to be issues a lot at that time of day.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
What is DDOES? Debbie does...
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #20
Vertwheal

Drives: 2015 AGM 1SS/RS/1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post

distributed denial of service attack - a bunch of punks flood the servers with traffic so they get knocked offline. Not a "hack" any idiot can do it - well... any bunch of idiots.
CAI intake, ADM scoop, Rotofab washer relocation, Bo White stage II ported TB, Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT, RPI Splash Guards, Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts, Tuned by Rick @ Synergy Motorsports - 414/403 on a Mustang dyno
Vertwheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Are we sure it was an attack? The server goes down at 2 am EST every morning for maintenance so I thought it was just extended maintenance.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
What is DDOES? Debbie does...
DDOS or Distributed Denial of Service is an attack that is meant to overload a server with so many requests that it will basically lose its mind and therefore loose the ability to serve the Web requests to its clients (In this case the members of C5).

And more than likely it was not a DDOS attack. When I attempted to visit the site, it gave me a generic webpage that said the site was unavailable. If it was a true DDOS attack, none of us would have been able to see that page as the web server would have been declining requests. Right now I am inclined to agree with Mr. Draco and say that it was just an extended maintenance period. I will say that if it was a DDOS attack, it could have happened earlier in the morning/night (depends on your time zone) and they took the site down to stop the attacks and block them.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #23
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
It's happening way too often to be a DDOS attack. If it is, someone is dedicating a lot of time or money to do so.
I'm guessing a lot of users here have many transactions, personal information, as well as just identifying information within their messages between vendors etc. Hitting a site like this would be a good opportunity to get that information.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
DDOS or Distributed Denial of Service is an attack that is meant to overload a server with so many requests that it will basically lose its mind and therefore loose the ability to serve the Web requests to its clients (In this case the members of C5).

And more than likely it was not a DDOS attack. When I attempted to visit the site, it gave me a generic webpage that said the site was unavailable. If it was a true DDOS attack, none of us would have been able to see that page as the web server would have been declining requests. Right now I am inclined to agree with Mr. Draco and say that it was just an extended maintenance period. I will say that if it was a DDOS attack, it could have happened earlier in the morning/night (depends on your time zone) and they took the site down to stop the attacks and block them.
Yep me too.................but I do get a warning about too many re-directs as well and that was the case last night around 11pm (pac)

Old 04-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
I'm guessing a lot of users here have many transactions, personal information, as well as just identifying information within their messages between vendors etc. Hitting a site like this would be a good opportunity to get that information.
A DDOS attack on its own will not lead to a compromise of data. Know if it was used as a means of a decoy for something else or to overwhelm primary defenses that is a different story

Quote:
Yep me too.................but I do get a warning about too many re-directs as well and that was the case last night around 11pm (pac)

Does your browser just let you know that you are being redirected multiple times? As for a large amount of redirects, it could have been DNS records that were changed to take you to another server to see the "We are down" page.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #26
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
A DDOS attack on its own will not lead to a compromise of data. Know if it was used as a means of a decoy for something else or to overwhelm primary defenses that is a different story

Does your browser just let you know that you are being redirected multiple times? As for a large amount of redirects, it could have been DNS records that were changed to take you to another server to see the "We are down" page.
Mac on Safari, yes it does. Says too many re-directs site unavailable or something like that. Message from Safari.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #27
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:

Distributed denial of service attack.

In Lehman's terms, it's basically a group of computers flooding a server. The server gets so flooded with requests that it cannot respond to additional ones (you trying to view forums). Most attackers will have an army of zombie computers at their control and use all of them to flood the target server. You can also purchase these zombie computers.

Not all site crashes are due to hacking. And I wouldn't consider a DDOS attack hacking. It's more of an attack, but doesn't usually affect the server itself. A hack would be much more destructive and do things like install malicious code or hijack your computer to use in DDOS attacks.

A few other causes of a site becoming unavailable could be things like:
- Coding errors (mistakes made by programmers causes web server to fail to load properly)
- Server Overload (Server can't keep up with demand)
- Data Center issues
- Hardware malfunctions
- DNS Issues
Old 04-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #28
Merc
In The Circle

Thanks. I understand a bit more now.......................I'm certianly a lehman.