Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #15
L6611983

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yes when I removed the torque converter left the fluid in there
L6611983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:44 PM   #16
L6611983

Ok I got the transmission bolted up now , when I spin the crankshaft and have it in drive gear should the tail shaft if the transmission spin?
Old 03-21-2021, 12:50 AM   #17
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
No, the trans output shaft won’t necessarily spin. It depends on how fast you are spinning the crankshaft. Kind of hard to explain why, I’m exhausted so hopefully this even makes sense.The torque converter is basically a fluid coupler made of 3 separate parts that aren’t positively connected to eachother. Below a certain rpm, when fluid velocity, caused by centrifugal force, isn’t high enough, the stator (middle) and turbine (rear) in the torque converter are disconnected from the impeller (front). That’s why you can have your trans in park with the engine running and not break stuff, or have your foot on the brake at a stoplight and not be stalling or doing a burnout. The more rpm applied, the more the pieces are forced to spin in unison by fluid going through the separate pieces. Hope that made sense. I’m gonna hit the sack
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:01 AM   #18
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
No, the trans output shaft won’t necessarily spin. It depends on how fast you are spinning the crankshaft. Kind of hard to explain why, I’m exhausted so hopefully this even makes sense.The torque converter is basically a fluid coupler made of 3 separate parts that aren’t positively connected to eachother. Below a certain rpm, when fluid velocity, caused by centrifugal force, isn’t high enough, the stator (middle) and turbine (rear) in the torque converter are disconnected from the impeller (front). That’s why you can have your trans in park with the engine running and not break stuff, or have your foot on the brake at a stoplight and not be stalling or doing a burnout. The more rpm applied, the more the pieces are forced to spin in unison by fluid going through the separate pieces. Hope that made sense. I’m gonna hit the sack
Wow, I wonder how high you're IQ is when your not exhausted. What a great explanation!!!
Old 03-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #19
L6611983

I plan on reusing the 3 driveshaft bolts "temporarily" until I can find who caries all 3 in stock not one place has them, summit racing only has 2 bolts in stock doesn't even come with the nut its sold separately from the bolt.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #20
Warship2k15

If you try to force it with the bolts you can say bye bye to the transmission pump.
As many have said unbolt the converter from the flex plate.Then push and spin the converter until it goes all the way into the transmission.
Then mate the engine and transmission back together.
Any other way and you are asking for trouble.
Also why in the world would you need to remove the oil pan to hook up the torque converter.
Most people access the torque converter bolts by removing the starter.
And they rotate the engine slowly until
The bolts or holes are able to be accessed thru the hole where the starter used to be.
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote