Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #15
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
If you want to look at modern day versions of a Muscle car you would probably have to look at mid sized family sedans. As a muscle car was an intermediate car with an over sized engine at a low price..... these are also cars that accelerate better then they turn and brake. A V-6 Accord coupe can do 0-60 in less then 5.5 seconds for example.....

for $27,000 you can get a Chrysler 200 with a 305BHP V-6 engine and 9 speed transmission.......

The Camaro is very similar to the BMW M4, the only difference (conceptually) is one is from a luxury brand and the other isn't. I just call it and the Mustang sports coupes (I know some people want to give them their own little segment).
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #16
GMapologists
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 1SS 6spd stick MSRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
The Camaro is very similar to the BMW M4, the only difference (conceptually) is one is from a luxury brand and the other isn't. I just call it and the Mustang sports coupes (I know some people want to give them their own little segment).
The M4 has a good visibility and both a usable back seat and trunk. My 2016 Camaro's are worthless.
GMapologists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:47 PM   #17
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
It's a sports coupé.

Precisely as defined in Wikipedia.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:22 AM   #18
BrianInJackson

Drives: toyota mr2
It's a Gran Turismo/Gran Tourer.. 2+2 sport coupe capable of high speed or spirited long distance driving... Per Wikipedia....
BrianInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If you want to say the Camaro is a Muscle Car then you leave the L4 and V6 out of the equation.

If you want to call it a Sports Car, then you are too big and have too many seats for the classical definition.

For example, I don't think BMW calls the 4 Series a Sports Car. That is left to others in the stable.

But we do seem to have a need to classify things.

But it isn't a Muscle Car unless you count the SS and then using that logic, the Corvette is as well.......and it isn't.

But hey I've been jumped on so many time for saying it isn't a Muscle Car I've given up. Even GM wants you to believe its BOTH so they can hit the sweet spot in marketing the car. And yes, they've used both as have the magazines. So my hanging on to the classic definitions just gets me in trouble.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #20
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
Can't say what is "officially" but to me it's a Luxury Sports Car
Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #21
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
The classical definition of a sports car would rule out the camaro, while defining the Miata as the quintisential sports car.

I say if the Miata is a scports car and the camaro out performs it in every measurable metric, then it's a sports car.

I also agree that a better definition is GT car. The larger size, back "seats", small but usable trunk all make this a formidable grand tourer.

Performance wise, It's in the ring with Porsches, Astons, the BMW M6, etc. All solid GT cars.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...th_generation)
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #23
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Those are terms that should be reserved for a bygone era. There hasn't been a muscle car for many decades , and there never will be one again. Those days are gone folks. Really, it would be an insult to brand this new car as such. These modern performance cars are much more than any muscle car ever was.
I can't understand why people feel it so important to label any way. Why does it matter so? This topic has been beat to death.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #24
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMapologists View Post
The M4 has a good visibility and both a usable back seat and trunk. My 2016 Camaro's are worthless.
My mom rode for 4 hours in the back seat. I put two suit cases and a sports medical kit in the truck. Worthless means it's not worth anything. It's worth something. It just may not be the most practical car. If you want a practical Rear wheel drive V8 car, go get an SS.
2016 Red Hot 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC, Nav, and Sunroof. VIN #115750
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I agree, this has kind of been beaten to death.

Using original definitions from the 60's / 70's:

- Mustang = Pony car
- Camaro = Pony car
- Challenger = Muscle car
- Corvette = Sports car

However, everything except the Challenger is very safely sports car territory now, although this was a little grey for a while. Smoother more sculpted looks designed to appeal to the European crowd, good handling, and they can easily be cross-shopped with many BMW's, Audis, etc. in the performance car segment. I would not call the Mustang or Camaro "pony" cars anymore, because one criteria for that definition is a cheap price. The entry MSRP for either car, even accounting for inflation, is higher than it was in the past. People still view it as a relative bargain, but again, that's within the sports car segment.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #26
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartem2 View Post
Can't say what is "officially" but to me it's a Luxury Sports Car

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #27
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
Sorry, but there is really nothing luxury about the Camaro. Yes, a HUGE improvement in the interior over not just the Gen5, but most current Cheverolets. But adding the current level of equipment and tech and an upgraded interior do not make a Chevrolet a luxury car.

No where near a BMW 4 Series or Audi A5/S5 for interior fit, finish or materials. And if you want to see a real luxury interior, go look at the MB C-Class coupe. That's a luxury coupe.

Don't get me wrong, if your basis of comparison is a Gen5 or any 2015 or earlier Chevy, I can see where you would think that. And the improvements Chevrolet has made on Volt, Cruze, Malibu and Camaro interiors is BIG. Just not Luxury. Buick is barely where it needs to be, but it looks like the upcoming Lacrosse may get them a level above. And wait until you see the new SUV shown later today.

Oh, and name any OEM that has 4 major name plates ALL new for 2016. Chevrolet is it I think.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #28
GMapologists
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 1SS 6spd stick MSRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
No where near a BMW 4 Series or Audi A5/S5 for interior fit, finish or materials. And if you want to see a real luxury interior, go look at the MB C-Class coupe. That's a luxury coupe.
I totally agree. There is no comparison.
If I was spending $50k in 2016, the AMG C450 sedan would be my only choice for the design, interior, 3.0L TT, 400+ HP, and all wheel drive.

But, for under $37k, a 1SS with MSRC and a stick is a good buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
But hey I've been jumped on so many time for saying it isn't a Muscle Car I've given up. Even GM wants you to believe its BOTH so they can hit the sweet spot in marketing the car. And yes, they've used both as have the magazines. So my hanging on to the classic definitions just gets me in trouble.
Ignore the trolls. You are 100% correct, as usual. The muscle car and the pony car are both dead. Weight, price, IRS, technology, etc have all made these modern cars Grand Touring cars.
GMapologists is offline   Reply With Quote