Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
bigbenisdaman

Drives: 2012 LT1
Top of Oil pan cracks.

Well a semi-long story short I brought the car in last week for water on the floorboard and they did something to the AC drain, then the next day the CEL threw a code.

Friday I brought it by and they said it was a vent solenoid. Today I was under it to make sure the AC was draining right (still had a little water on my floor mat, I think just left over from the fix) and I noticed these cracks and what appears to be grind marks around 3 circle's. This is located just to the front of the oil pan.

Car is a 2012 V6 Camaro and I have about 70k miles so far on it.
Any ideas??
Attached Images

bigbenisdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
chvyman

Drives: 2SS 45TH,gfx,blade spoiler,h grille
they appear to be markings from the mold to cast the oil pan. no leaks...no worrys.
chvyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Those circles are repair plugs in the casting, which must have had some voids in it which were drilled out and plugged at the foundry.

No leaks = no problem.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
bigbenisdaman

My concern was the cracks and the grind marks, hard to see in the pictures but there.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
I've heard more that one case of GM aluminum oil pan castings as having issues with casting porosity leaks. Those fractures in the above pics to me are a bit excessive though. I've actually not looked at our Camaro oil pan yet but its due for its first oil change soon and I'm curious to see what it looks like. The pan on my 6.2 Silverado has some very minor surface imperfections but nothing as pronounced as the fracturing I'm seeing the above pics.

That said though, I'd just occasionally monitor those areas for any change or leakage.

Last edited by RobertRS; 08-23-2014 at 11:22 PM.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
I've heard more that one case of GM aluminum oil pan castings as having issues with casting porosity leaks. Those fractures in the above pics to me are a bit excessive though. I've actually not looked at our Camaro oil pan yet but its due for its first oil change soon and I'm curious to see what it looks like. The pan on my 6.2 Silverado has some very minor surface imperfections but nothing as pronounced as the fracturing I'm seeing the above pics.

That said though, I'd just occasionally monitor those areas for any change or leakage.
Yes, that is a really low quality casting, but if it's a 2012 and hasn't leaked or failed by now, it's gonna be OK.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
bigbenisdaman

Looked at it more today with a mirror and couldn't find anywhere it may have been rubbing on etc. Both motor mounts seem to be in good shape though the passenger side looked to have been hitting the top bracket from time to time. There was similar grind marks on the motor mount brackets though- assuming left over from factory machining as they looked old.

The cracks imo though are a bit on the excessive side. I have a bump i'm taking back in for this week (if dealer can get the struts replaced under my extended warranty...that i'm finding to be completely useless I might add) and I'll ask them about it. The oil pan "should" be covered under GM I'm assuming. I noticed one crack runs along the corner all the way to the bottom of the oil pan...

And no, as long as it's not leaking it's not an issue....until it leaves me on the side of the road.