Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #1
BrianInJackson

Drives: toyota mr2
Air Pressure and Tire Wear

Hey all... Just trying to check in and see what kind of wear patterns people are getting. Not sure of all models, but the SS recommends 35 PSI front and rear. Have driven several cars where tire wear is not "optimum" on the standard PSI. My last car, for example... The center of the rear tread was gone, while tread near the edges still had about half of their tread left. I dropped PSI a couple pounds.. and nearly doubled tire life, because the whole tire was being used.

I only have 1900ish miles on the car, and I don't see any wear issues, but I would like to get the most life out of the tires I can.

So, those who have logged 10,000 miles or so... where are the tires wearing, middle or outer edges, or even across the whole tire?

Thanks.
BrianInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
I did exactly what you mentioned. I always inflate my tires to the recommended pressure then mark each tire with a bold line across the tread with a crayon or chalk and then go for a very short drive to see where the crayon or chalk is worn off and I can then adjust the pressure to an ever wear pattern.

I currently have almost 15K miles on my stock set and I have replacements for the rear sitting in the garage already. The fronts seem pretty good right now. I adjusted the pressure right away and have very even wear patterns on each tire. The OEM tires are very soft and the roads here in south MS are very abrasive due to the gravel they use. I didn't expect to get 15K out of them, to be honest.

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote