Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Question Drop springs detrimental to your shocks?

Was talkin to J earlier about the advantages of coilovers VS springs, and he motioned that some people have experienced shortened shock lifespan as a result of adding lowering springs to their ride... Anyone experience this? I'd love a set of coilovers, but my mod budget would require some real saving to accomplish that, and pulling a set off by April is just not gonna happen. SO, what do i do? Do I pick up springs/sways before the Fest and hope my shocks don't pay the price? Or do I hit the track stock and hope I don't roll the beast?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Funny that you post this now. SUPRBAD is down at JDP Motorsports right now getting PFADT drop springs installed.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Funny that you post this now. SUPRBAD is down at JDP Motorsports right now getting PFADT drop springs installed.
Yes, I are guilty of timing fail

Let me know how you like em, I'm really hoping that no one responds 'cuase I'd like to have some solidity in my chassis before the Fest!

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
This is the response that Pfadtracing posted when we discussed the same question:

"Thanks guys for recommending our Lowering Springs! There will be a bit of a change in the handling of your car after the installation of lowering springs, the biggest reason for this is the increased spring rate. After the installation of lowering springs you will notice a more balanced feel in hard cornering, and a more aggressive stance while standing still. Even with the increase in spring rate, our springs were designed for use with your stock GM shocks and will still provide a long service life. As many have reported here on the forums, ride quality does not suffer at all with the installation of our drop springs."
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Hmmmmm... When he says "long service life" is he referring to the shocks or springs?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Hmmmmm... When he says "long service life" is he referring to the shocks or springs?
The spring rate and ride height of the Pfadt lowering springs were selected to optimize and compliment the function of the stock dampers. You can experience significantly shortened damper service life if you go with a lowering spring that lowers the car too much (1.5 inch +) but with Pfadt springs you will not have that problem.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The spring rate and ride height of the Pfadt lowering springs were selected to optimize and compliment the function of the stock dampers. You can experience significantly shortened damper service life if you go with a lowering spring that lowers the car too much (1.5 inch +) but with Pfadt springs you will not have that problem.
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
I’m no engineer, but wouldn't the shocks do less "work" with stiffer springs. With the factory springs the nose of the car shot up a foot every time I accelerated.

Last edited by Jay_LHD3; 03-02-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Those that experience less life in their struts have installed a coil set that is allowing too much compression and damage to the foot valve. The other reasons that the hydraulics would fail are damage to the strut shaft during the new coil installation or to the seals and internals from spinning the shaft with an air gun.

Scratches on the strut shaft will damage the seal. Damage the seal and the unit will fail. The quench, the resistance on the strut retaining nut is very high from the factory. Reinstalling the top nut because of this resistance can be a real problem. Hammering away with an air gun while the shaft endlessly rotates can cause all kinds of issues. While I believe that Pedders lowering coils are the best choice for a 5th Gen out of all the available lowering coils, I don't know of a single reputable company that sells a 5th Gen coils that will damage the foot valve.

All you had to do was get married at C5Fest and you could have had a full suspension as a wedding gift. What were you thinking?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Thanks for the interest in our springs! Looks like what needs to be covered here has already been covered. Just to reiterate, Pfadt lowering springs were specifically designed to work with the stock Camaro shocks and will provide a long service life.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Was talkin to J earlier about the advantages of coilovers VS springs, and he motioned that some people have experienced shortened shock lifespan as a result of adding lowering springs to their ride... Anyone experience this? I'd love a set of coilovers, but my mod budget would require some real saving to accomplish that, and pulling a set off by April is just not gonna happen. SO, what do i do? Do I pick up springs/sways before the Fest and hope my shocks don't pay the price? Or do I hit the track stock and hope I don't roll the beast?
Your answer lies in your overall plan and use of your 5th Gen.

When you say hit the track are you auto-crossing, HPDE or drag strip?
Do you plan to track you car often?
What engine, brake and wheel mods do you have planned?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Revo 1, suggestion, do the lowering springs now and then in a year or 2 when you have the money saved upgrade to coilovers! Springs are relatively cheap and you can get it done by C5fest!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Those that experience less life in their struts have installed a coil set that is allowing too much compression and damage to the foot valve. The other reasons that the hydraulics would fail are damage to the strut shaft during the new coil installation or to the seals and internals from spinning the shaft with an air gun.

Scratches on the strut shaft will damage the seal. Damage the seal and the unit will fail. The quench, the resistance on the strut retaining nut is very high from the factory. Reinstalling the top nut because of this resistance can be a real problem. Hammering away with an air gun while the shaft endlessly rotates can cause all kinds of issues. While I believe that Pedders lowering coils are the best choice for a 5th Gen out of all the available lowering coils, I don't know of a single reputable company that sells a 5th Gen coils that will damage the foot valve.

All you had to do was get married at C5Fest and you could have had a full suspension as a wedding gift. What were you thinking?
Doh! And I just got engaged!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Revo 1, suggestion, do the lowering springs now and then in a year or 2 when you have the money saved upgrade to coilovers! Springs are relatively cheap and you can get it done by C5fest!
This! The springs I'm looking at are 1.2" drop, so nothing too drastic. Hopefully I'll be able to pull them off and replace with coilovers before too long. If I can't get my hands on coilovers within a year, would it be smart to re-install my stock springs?