Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Jeffro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6M
Just Installed Halltech Cold Air

I just installed my Halltech Cold Air Intake it was easy to install and the only bad thing I can say about it is the heat shield. The heatshield bows a little bit but no big deal and is a tight fit. The kit does not come with install instructions but the only thing I had a concern about was the rubber hose I cut the factory line and used a hose clamp to attach the rubber hose. What did other people do about the rubber hose?? The air filter touches the washer bottle but no big deal. I did not pull fuses or disconnect the battery I drove the car and right away I noticed a difference. Im happy with it and I purchased it from SouthernCarParts.com because they were the cheapest that I found. I dont plan on dynoing the car but Im sure I picked up 10hp.
Attached Images

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
nice job.how long did it take to install?
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
I see where you can fix the heat shield. Trim the top gasket about 1/2" back from the front and it will allow the front part of the shield to slide under the frame properly. Loosen the nut on the bracket before doing this and tighten after you have the shield in place. Post some after pics once this is done.

wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
nice job.how long did it take to install?
It took about 30 mins from start to finish
Borla S type mufflers
Diablosport tune
Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Bellringer

Drives: my wife nuts.....
Any sound difference, anything you noticed?

44030 is all mine!

GM
Bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Also make sure the bottom of the heatshield is running along the frame, between the silver AC line and the frame. The first notch in the bottom of the shield should be where the silver AC line crosses over the frame and the one on the back side is where that line exits.

You did the right thing by cutting the platic tube but it looks like you might have cut it a little too far up. The rubber hose shouldn't be bending like that. It's not a HUGE deal but I wonder if the engine cover will fit properly now. That's easily fixed with a trip to your local auto parts store though. Also, you don't need a clamp on that junction. It's made to be a VERY tight fit so one isn't needed.

I imagine if you push the intake tube closer to the TB, it would move the filter away from the washer bottle.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Jeffro

Thanks guys for the input I will adjust the intake tube and the heatshield then I will take pictures to let you guys know what I come up with. The engine cover fits fine over the rubber hose it is just pinched between the cover and throttle body but I dont think its anything to worry about. There is a big sound difference first of all it made the stock exhaust sound a little louder and second when you step on the throttle the intake makes a mean growl due to all the air being sucked in.....it sounds sick!!!!
Borla S type mufflers
Diablosport tune
Old 04-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
Bellringer

Drives: my wife nuts.....

44030 is all mine!

GM
Bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks awesome
Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I would take that hose clamp off. You don't wan't sharp edges around the heater hoses. I just pushed the line over it and it seems pretty tight.

I spent a lot of extra time messing with trimming the shield. My L bracket was too low, revitted that a bit higher. Had to trim the fender side of that shield quite a bit down low to get it to push over far enough to be tight against the fender. Then the filter hits the washer bottle. I'll have to figure out how to perfect that. After a day of driving the filter was about to fall off, the pressure from the washer bottle wants to keep pushing it off.

I tried putting it on with no trimming and the L-bracket in its as built spot. The bottom was way off the frame, the shield was bowed, the L bracket was bending up, I'm sure it would have broken off in a day.

On the plus side, the performance seems great. Attention to detail though, I'm handling that. I also wish they would have included a complete hose connection to the pcv so the OE line didn't have to be cut. Some day I'll need to put it back to stock, and will need to buy a new OE hose there with it's special fittings on each end.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Bagzinator

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
I installed mine yesterday too. The engine now sounds awesome and the throttle response and power are certainly better. My heat shield fits good I did trim about a half an inch off of the front and side to make it fit better. My air filter clears the washer fluid reservoir by about 1/2". I think it is an angle thing you may have the intake tube pushed on too far. Try backing it out a little this will angle the air filter further from the washer fluid reservoir. My only issue is the small rubber hose gets squeezed between the engine and the engine cover. It's not that big of a deal, but I think over time the rubbing will cause the hose to get cut. I will try and post pics tomorrow. All in all I really and happy with this CAI.
Bagzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I also wish they would have included a complete hose connection to the pcv so the OE line didn't have to be cut. Some day I'll need to put it back to stock, and will need to buy a new OE hose there with it's special fittings on each end.

It would be easy to take it back to OEM without buying anything. Just keep the cutoff piece and cut a 2-3in piece of the hose off, then push cutoff piece into hose. Instant OEM.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #13
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up

Looks good

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagzinator View Post
I installed mine yesterday too. The engine now sounds awesome and the throttle response and power are certainly better. My heat shield fits good I did trim about a half an inch off of the front and side to make it fit better. My air filter clears the washer fluid reservoir by about 1/2". I think it is an angle thing you may have the intake tube pushed on too far. Try backing it out a little this will angle the air filter further from the washer fluid reservoir. My only issue is the small rubber hose gets squeezed between the engine and the engine cover. It's not that big of a deal, but I think over time the rubbing will cause the hose to get cut. I will try and post pics tomorrow. All in all I really and happy with this CAI.
Hey thanks, I'll do that. I must have fought with that shield so long I overlooked the obvious on how to position the filter and tube better. On that little hose, I got mine positioned better by using a longer rubber hose.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote